Live from the HAL Noordam 9/8-15 2024 Alaska Southbound

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from VintageCheap! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

VintageCheap was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Last fall some relatives were talking about Alaska cruising.  HAL in fact.  We have been fans, having been on the Veendam and R Class Rotterdam.  I read poor reports here of dancing on the newer ships, and that dance floors had even been downsized or removed or not in the plans.  

The oldest HAL ships were still fine for us but I could not make a trip work.  We had some long voyages on the classic Celebrity ships like the Constellation -  dancing was good - there was a library even but no promenade deck to speak of.  We require a good long stroll daily at sea.  

The relatives invited us to join them on the Noordam.  The fares were not terrible.  Outside view cabins were roomy and still had couches.  I made the mistake of paying in full a year ahead- there was a fare drop and I was stuck.  

We stayed at the Hyatt House near the ANC airport.  The breakfast was good.  It felt like an upgraded Holiday Inn Express.  The place is in an industrial park and had a bar even.  The barn door bathroom sliding door provided limited privacy -a silly but aparently hip design element.

It takes up to three hours from airport Door One arrival to board the HAL ship bus to the port.

1000013048.jpg

1000013058.jpg

1000013053.jpg

1000013049.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Have a wonderful time! Just a warning….we just returned from a N/S 14 day Alaska cruise on NA and most guests were on for 7 days only. Most of those joining us in Whittier had been on various cruise tours and we noticed many coughing, etc. Much more so than the first 7 days heading north. By this morning when we disembarked in Vancouver ALL tables around us in the MDR at breakfast had people coughing, blowing their noses, etc. Not mild coughing either, but the real barking, chesty coughs. Cabins on both sides of us had sick people. The tours seemed to have been a real spreader of various colds, Covid, etc. We keep to ourselves, and do our best to stay healthy and fortunately we didn’t get sick. 
We’ve been on many post Covid cruises, and there are always sick people, but never to this great extent.

On a brighter note, it’s a wonderful cruise and we saw whales in a few places, and even Orcas yesterday in the BC inside passage. Stay healthy and enjoy.

We disembarked Koningsdam yesterday. Very similar sick situation and now you mention it, it got worse after the land tour groups boarded the ship in Skagway. I tested positive for Covid today and luckily pretty mild case

looking forward to your review of Noordam, we’re booked on her for 2026 but I’m having doubts as what we loved about Koningsdam seems to be missing from Noordam.  

• Like 1

We were 14 day return Nieuw Amsterdam in July, we were back to back,  we travelled with another couple, one of them got so sick spent six days in the cabin.  Most of the passengers were new cruisers, that had done the land tour, came on hacking, coughing, didn’t even try to cover their mouths, that was the sickest ship I have ever been on.  We came home and had a noro type virus that lasted a week.  We are OCD about hand washing, etc. but with all these sick people just walking around, not isolating themselves I guess was bound to happen. Hope you have a better time on the Noordam.  

So far so good.  The bus ride was well organized and scenic.  No hint of viral illnesses.  The scanners were broken but Plan B wasted little time.  We spotted the library and DW was fascinated by piles of best sellers.  

We visited the muster station  watched the video and grabbed a bite in Lido as it was 2100 home time.  We dropped into seats in Oceans Bar at 1730.  Yep - we could still foxtrot.  Out the window a light rain and the train just arrived with a reported 700 passengers.

Minor quibbles.  No drawers in the cabin.  No luggage yet.  And piped in music in the library.  

The crew seems jolly.

1000013084.jpg

1000013091.jpg

1000013092.jpg

20240908_165426.jpg

Edited by VintageCheap
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Apparently hiking boots and jeans are the uniform of the day for cruising in Alaska.  It is certainly cold enough, but the Rumba is tricky in oversize boots.  

I have seen endless rants on cutbacks.  We were just told by the smiling room stewards there would be twice a day service.  This has apparently been cut by some lines.  

I saw senior staff dining in Lido. And officers in another venue.  Bravo.  NCL has cut this off for some reason.

Our room had a decent number of AC and USB outlets.  The luggage arrived and was on the bed ready to unpack.  We have not seen this before.

The Rolling Stone Lounge was hopping.  The six piece (speaking of cutbacks) band was good.

We went back to the Lido the pizza was good.  It was Steak Night and there were good vegetarian choices and water was served by staff.  

1000013100.jpg

1000013105.jpg

1000013104.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

MDR breakfast was good.  We were seated promptly and tea, in large silver pots not used for coffee arrived in short order.  Often the sea day MDR service can feel like pickup game with staff out of position.  Not here.  The menu was comprehensive and what we ordered was just right.  

DW did not love her early gym Abs class.  The instruction seemed advanced and not consistent with what she was used to.  

It was cold and rainy out but the seas were calm.  

The Internet ($119 for the week) was fast and not overpriced.  The Shareholder onboard credit process took a bit of poking but was not too invasive with a redacted statement copy.  Handing over a finance/bank account number to some random web site these days seems reckless.  

1000013115.jpg

1000013113.jpg

1000013114.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the live thread, VintageCheap, I am enjoying your report.

On 9/8/2024 at 4:31 PM, VintageCheap said:

The barn door bathroom sliding door provided limited privacy -a silly but aparently hip design element.

There are pluses and minuses to bathroom sliding doors.

On the minus side:

1. They are noisy.

2. They do not deaden sound.

3. The translucent doors light up the room and annoy my sleeping spouse.

4. They can't be locked.

5. They have Peeking Tom gaps.

6. They have little finger tip pulls that make it difficult to open when they do not operate perfectly.

On the plus side:

Oops, guess there aren't any.

• Like 2

Lunch was good in the MDR.  They are good at soup. One of the chefs put on a cooking class - he was talented.  I am not sure the cooking classes require a national brand.

A friend who is a longtime HAL fan misses the classical music.

We had a nap then there was commotion- foghorn sounds then narration.  The fog and clouds parted and we got a good look at a glacier.

The ship seems happy.  This was hinted at by one of the officers who confirmed my guess based on surveys.   Also the crew galley food is reported to be good.  

Good deals were had by many - half off on Alaska branded items. The ship is headed to Asia soon...

A few of the dreaded uncovered caughs but not many.  

Dinner in the MDR was good.  Many choices.  The asparagus soup was not as good as the Zucchini.  

More glaciers tomorrow.  Not much to see dress up wise on Gala Night.  

1000013123.jpg

1000013135.jpg

1000013140.jpg

1000013138.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

MDR breakfast is lovely.  Eggs Benedict with crab hit the spot. 

HAL has Glacier Bay figured out.  The Park Rangers and local nonprofit folks added a measure of authenticity.  The weather was ideal and all glaciers and mountains were visible.  It is nice to be on a ship with lots of open decks to follow the fast changing scenery reports.

MDR lunch and dinner were good - the service was spot on and cheerful.  There was no waiting for walk in  tables for two.  This is rare on more crowded modern ships.  We got in a few dances in Oceans.  

Skagway is easier on a smaller ship.  No lines.  We took the three hour no passport train ride and enjoyed both views - the valleys and waterfalls.  It reminded me of the cute wooden train at Soller on Mallorca.  I would bring n95 masks if you are next to those with illnesses.  

The yarn store in Skagway has fun local hand dyed selections.  

There were reports of local beer made of spruce tips vs hops.  

The free drink coupons for Mariner members are handy.  

Some cruise ships were observed docked near the Glacier Bay entrance.  There seems to be a new  Native Owned private island type development with ziplines etc.  

A Taco Bar was observed poolside for lunch.  It was mostly beef that we could tell.  

1000013312.jpg

1000013345.jpg

1000013226.jpg

1000013340.jpg

1000013323.jpg

Edited by VintageCheap
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thank you so much for the wonderful photos and trip report! I am so excited to board the Noordam on the 15th!

Wonderful to hear that the mood on board is excellen and that everyone seems to be enjoying their cruise, even with imperfect weather.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2024 at 6:21 PM, whogo said:

Thanks for the live thread, VintageCheap, I am enjoying your report.

There are pluses and minuses to bathroom sliding doors.

On the minus side:

1. They are noisy.

2. They do not deaden sound.

3. The translucent doors light up the room and annoy my sleeping spouse.

4. They can't be locked.

5. They have Peeking Tom gaps.

6. They have little finger tip pulls that make it difficult to open when they do not operate perfectly.

On the plus side:

Oops, guess there aren't any.

I detest those doors as well

8 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thank you for reporting from your voyage on the Noordam.

We were on board her for 30 days February / March,   appreciate seeing the photos.

Thanks.  This is a nice class of ship.  It has lovely open spaces which in more up to date designs are packed with cabins and revenue spaces. 

There was excitement last night at the bar in Oceans over the Smoked Cherry Old Fashoned (?)  Drinks.  Some kind of device, a lighter and wood chips?  

A radical innovation idea for HAL.  Since disposable plastic water bottles are no longer safe, a water bottle refilling machine (seen at airports) could be installed.  They could charge 50 cents even. 

Bottles could be washed and filled with (coffee?) even.  Younger guests might find this hip and cool.  

20240911_192216.jpg

Edited by VintageCheap
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GA_Traveler said:

I am leaving on an Alaskan Cruise on Sunday.   This post is making me even more excited. 😁

So far, the hassle factor of starting in Alaska seems high.  I'd do a round trip out of Vancouver.  

DW says the yarn store is even better in Juneau than in Skagway.

Officers are seen in the Distant Lands food section of the Lido.

Rain here but a sturdy coat and umbrella did the job.

The Cunard QE just arrived.  A similar guest experience to HAL.  But a dedicated ballroom and orchestra.   

1000013380.jpg

1000013378.jpg

1000013377.jpg

20240912_115747.jpg

Edited by VintageCheap
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2024 at 1:55 PM, VintageCheap said:

Some cruise ships were observed docked near the Glacier Bay entrance.  There seems to be a new  Native Owned private island type development with ziplines etc.  

Icy Strait Point.  Near Hoonah, the small Tlingit community it benefits. Cruise ships have been stopping there for decades. The piers are new. 

More development on the way...

https://www.travelweekly.com/On-The-Record/Tyler-Hickman-Icy-Strait-Point 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Thanks 1

It was Orange Night.  There were fun costumes at dinner.  Note this is a casual event.  We were over supplied with dress up clothes as it turned out.  Note these will have a role next week 🙂

The dinner was highly successful.  I had the Goreng and DW had the vegan stuffed pepper.  HAL has the best MDR food and we have tried them all.  No waiting for tables and great service. 

Points were awarded for printed menus. 

The Cruise Director is classy and low key.  There are minimal anouncements.  The required venue piped in music is mercifully not too loud. 

1000013406.jpg

1000013410.jpg

1000013411.jpg

1000013397.jpg

1000013398.jpg

1000013399 (1).jpg

1000013442 (1).jpg

Edited by VintageCheap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A really good shipboard party is loud, late and has a mix of passengers, staff and officers.  Box checked here for Orange Night.  One of our friends refuses to travel on HAL "the parties end too early" -we left at 1030 it was still hopping.  The six piece band in Rolling Stone sure put some stereotypes away.

1000013446.jpg

1000013450.jpg

Edited by VintageCheap
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@VintageCheapI see they are showing an afternoon movie in the theater but nothing in the enclosed Lido screen in the evening.  I just don't get it.  They did the same thing earlier this year.

It would be so easy to provide an additional evening entertainment activity.

21 minutes ago, js1357 said:

@VintageCheapI see they are showing an afternoon movie in the theater but nothing in the enclosed Lido screen in the evening.  I just don't get it.  They did the same thing earlier this year.

It would be so easy to provide an additional evening entertainment activity.

I didn't know that the Noordam had a movie screen by the pool. I thought only the Pinnacle class ships had them?

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

I didn't know that the Noordam had a movie screen by the pool. I thought only the Pinnacle class ships had them?

You're correct - there's not movie screen by the pool on Noordam - only the Pinnacle Class ships. I didn't care for evening movies there due to the humidity (even with the roof closed).

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

You're correct - there's not movie screen by the pool on Noordam - only the Pinnacle Class ships. I didn't care for evening movies there due to the humidity (even with the roof closed).

Sue/WDW1972

On RCCL on some of the classes they run these poolside screens + loud music 24 hours a day. I find this annoying (except during a movie) and they use a lot of electricity (20kw) which requires the burning of an extra gallon of diesel fuel an hour.  Our enclosed pool deck now is semi quiet and chilly.  

On an earlier topic Icy Point sounds amazing.  If there is a developer who wants cruise ships and can capture shore excursion revenue (vs just seasonal t-shirt sales) and create jobs for local people it all seems perfect.  

Edited by VintageCheap
  • Like 2