Anyone have experience being wait listed for a cruise?

ddvgww

My daughter and I are going on a Crown Princess cruise in December.   A widowed friend wishes to come too but all single bookings are showing as sold out, even though there are heaps of cabins still available for couples in all categories.   I suggested she ring Princess today which she did.  A lovely young man was very helpful and suggested she pay $200 deposit to be placed on the waitlist for an obstructed ocean view cabin category which will be refunded to her if they are unable to allocate her a cabin.  She has happily done that.  What do you think her chances are of being successful in getting a cabin and being able to join us on the cruise?  I don't want her to get her hopes up if the chance is very remote.

I haven't had experience with a waitlist. I am guessing I am on this same cruise dec 3rd and the sole occupancy cabins have been sold out for 9 months or more and we are now past final payment so while nothing's impossible I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Would you consider sharing a cabin ?   there are quite a few 3/4 berth balconies and mini suites available. The balcony would have a bunk bed but the mini suite a sofa bed and give more room.

Don;t know what this might do to the cost for you if you were able to change rooms but the cost for the 3rd person in the minisuite is only $433 so the average for 3 pax might not be too disadvantageous.  Just a thought

I hate to say this but since she is probably going to pay 200% anyway for her cruise. I would put 2 names on the cruise room and have 1 being a no show.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 7

It really frustrates me that cruise lines do this.  I understand that they'll make more money with more passengers, but it really makes me feel unvalued as a solo traveler when they have cabins available, but apparently don't want my money.

I am generally a very honest person, but @Coral suggestion above is really the best workaround.  As far as I know, I've never heard of any repercussions for lying about a second passenger and then having them "no show".

• Like 5

Also note that when waitlisted, you’re not locking in pricing.  If the fare skyrockets, between the time you’re put on the waitlist and when you clear it, you will pay an even higher fare.  It’s why Princess gives you a grace period to decline—48 hours, I think.

• Like 2

Since going solo, you are paying 2x cruise fare, 1x tax/port tax,  if there were  any cabins.

Tell the agent she found a second person and wants to book a cabin.

Since you said cabins are available, I would pick a cabin for 2 since you would be paying 2x anyway and put any name and birthday down with your address for the second person.  Pay the whole cruise with her credit card.  When the second person does not show up, Princess will eventually refund the tax/port tax for the second.

She might never clear the waitlist.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Also note that when waitlisted, you’re not locking in pricing.  If the fare skyrockets, between the time you’re put on the waitlist and when you clear it, you will pay an even higher fare.  It’s why Princess gives you a grace period to decline—48 hours, I think.

We have seen exactly this happen several times. The sky is basically the fare limit when it comes to waitlisted cruises.

• Like 3

I would keep an eye on cabin availability and if things are looking okay for doubles, wait to use the “I found a friend” excuse until after final payments are due - that’s where I think inventory management might rebalance to clear waitlists and open up solos without a full single supplement. 

4 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Your friend should be able to sail. When final payment comes around, a lot of guests cancel not being able to come up with the money.

Not necessarily. A friend tried to sail on a cruise after final payment. There were a ton of cabins but they couldn't sail as a solo. It was restricted.

Final payment should be soon and most don't cancel the day of final payment.

On 9/9/2024 at 9:15 PM, Coral said:

I hate to say this but since she is probably going to pay 200% anyway for her cruise. I would put 2 names on the cruise room and have 1 being a no show,

.  She feels like taking your advice and doing this .Then her daughter will no show.  Any advice for her on how to do this successfully?   We have no experience in this and she is understandably a bit nervous.  For example, is it OK for her to board without her daughter?   Will they ask her where her travelling companion is?  If and when she is able to get on board should she then go to Guest Services and say her daughter has taken ill and won't be boarding?   She feels guilty about this but the ship has loads of cabins available in all categories yet none allowed for solo travellers .

4 hours ago, ddvgww said:

.  She feels like taking your advice and doing this .Then her daughter will no show.  Any advice for her on how to do this successfully?   We have no experience in this and she is understandably a bit nervous.  For example, is it OK for her to board without her daughter?   Will they ask her where her travelling companion is?  If and when she is able to get on board should she then go to Guest Services and say her daughter has taken ill and won't be boarding?   She feels guilty about this but the ship has loads of cabins available in all categories yet none allowed for solo travellers .

I disagree with @phabric about putting any fictional name down because they will need a passport number, etc... So I agree about adding the daughter.

When your friend goes to check in at the pier alone, I would just have her say that "Mary will not be able to make this cruise". That is all that needs to be said. I believe they will then refund port charges, etc....

Honestly - tell her not to feel bad. Princess greatly benefited from solo cruises during the pandemic. They added a ton of passengers on ships for Princess and filled cabins that would have been empty. I (as someone who cruises solo) find this offensive that they are doing this. I have spoken to my agent who sells a ton of Princess and she has verified that this has happened (that she can't add a solo individual to a ship on certain sailings).