Sun Princess Sanctuary

IndyKid

I decided to upgrade our room on the Sun Princess for our Mediterranean cruise next May to a Sanctuary Balcony. Admission to the Sanctuary is included, and I understand you can reserve cabanas? Is that also included with our room or is it extra cost?

2 hours ago, IndyKid said:

I decided to upgrade our room on the Sun Princess for our Mediterranean cruise next May to a Sanctuary Balcony. Admission to the Sanctuary is included, and I understand you can reserve cabanas? Is that also included with our room or is it extra cost?

No one really knows quite yet, as the Sanctuary Collection hasn't actually started yet

I'd assume they'd be at extra cost, particularly given how many guests are in Sanctuary Collection -  but how much or whether they are - anyone's guess. They're currently $499 on Sun.. 

19 hours ago, reedprincess said:

No one really knows quite yet, as the Sanctuary Collection hasn't actually started yet

I'd assume they'd be at extra cost, particularly given how many guests are in Sanctuary Collection -  but how much or whether they are - anyone's guess. They're currently $499 on Sun.. 

I did an online chat with Princess. She said the cabanas are free for those booking a Sanctuary room. But we still have to wait until we're on board to reserve anything. I guess we need to try and get aboard early? I wonder if that will be at guest services or at the Sanctuary itself?

36 minutes ago, IndyKid said:

I did an online chat with Princess. She said the cabanas are free for those booking a Sanctuary room. But we still have to wait until we're on board to reserve anything. I guess we need to try and get aboard early? I wonder if that will be at guest services or at the Sanctuary itself?

I do not think the cabanas are free. 

• Like 2

It is hard to trust what one hears from an online rep.  Not all of them are experienced and knowledgeable.   I wonder if they might be available at a discounted cost.  People pay a lot for these Sanctuary benefits.

I can see footraces and heated arguments on boarding days if they are free!

We will have to see how it all plays out.

Princess has seemed to be flying by the seat of their pants with this new 'class' on the new ship.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

It is hard to trust what one hears from an online rep.  Not all of them are experienced and knowledgeable.   I wonder if they might be available at a discounted cost.  People pay a lot for these Sanctuary benefits.

We will have to see how it all plays out.

Princess has seemed to be flying by the seat of their pants with this new 'class' on the new ship.

Totally agree. I guess we'll have to wait and see how things play out. I guess this new Sanctuary system doesn't go live until next month, I'd be interested to hear from people who have booked the same rooms about their experiences. 

Our only dilemma will be is how to decide where we want to eat each night, given that we can do unlimited specialty dining along with their exclusive, private restaurant for Sanctuary guests...

1 hour ago, IndyKid said:

Totally agree. I guess we'll have to wait and see how things play out. I guess this new Sanctuary system doesn't go live until next month, I'd be interested to hear from people who have booked the same rooms about their experiences. 

Our only dilemma will be is how to decide where we want to eat each night, given that we can do unlimited specialty dining along with their exclusive, private restaurant for Sanctuary guests...

What do you mean the the "new Sanctuary system" is not until next month? Are you saying there is not one in place now or that they are implementing it shortly?  Details please.

20 minutes ago, suzyed said:

What do you mean the the "new Sanctuary system" is not until next month? Are you saying there is not one in place now or that they are implementing it shortly?  Details please.

Princess calls it their Sanctuary Collection, and right now it's only available on the Sun Princess. Go to their website and check it out: https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/sanctuary-collection-sale

All the rooms that were part of the Signature and Reserve Collection Staterooms aboard the Sun have been flipped to this new category. Includes access to the Sanctuary Club, a special private dining room for meals, and the upgraded Premier package. For $1000 total for the both of us I upgraded to a Sanctuary Balcony room from a smaller Cove balcony with the Plus Package.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, suzyed said:

On Sun Princess, for another month, the Sanctuary is divided into two parts. One is reserved for Suite guests and the other is a more traditional “pay to play” Sanctuary. Beginning in October, the entire area will be reserved for Suite guests and those who book the newly created “Sanctuary Collection” cabins which will be specifically designated Mini-Suites or Deluxe Balconies. Think back to when Princess sold “Club Class Mini-Suites” that provided access to a special dining area. The Sanctuary Class is the same idea only now Sanctuary access will be an included perk and some Deluxe Balconies will be part of the program. 

Edited by JimmyVWine

4 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

If the Sanctuary is only open to those who book those rooms, I wouldn't think there would be that much of a crowd running to reserve a spot? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IndyKid said:

If the Sanctuary is only open to those who book those rooms, I wouldn't think there would be that much of a crowd running to reserve a spot? 

Wishing on a star was referring to having people race on embarkation day to book the Cabanas in the sanctuary if they were free to book & not an upcharge as they do now for booking the sanctuary on other ships.

Yes,  those cabanas look NICE...

And, there are just 8 of them.

And many many Sanctuary Class cabins.

You know what would be nice...  if these were like the open/covered seating area in the center of the Sanctuary on ships like Regal.   Everyone could enjoy for a time, as they wanted...  But NOT reservable.    If your butt isn't occupying the seating in those cabana areas, then they are available for anyone else who comes along.

Something tells me that they will be offered at much less than the current $499. per day.

Maybe half that.  For people who do have Sanctuary access.

There are people who have paid the premium to have Sanctuary access who would still pay a fee to reserve their own Cabana.

I am hoping the prospect/rumor that they will be updating the Sanctuary area, maybe a bit of shade/tarp/canopy for respite from the sun.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dog said:

You can dine in the Sanctuary restaurant- walk in.  Locations announced today for cruises starting October 14/24.

Yes, I saw that. That will be where we go on the nights we don't do the specialty restaurants.

My only concern is that Princess won't allow me to make any reservations for the specialty places until after we pay the balance of our cruise fare. I'm thinking maybe paying it off early so I can beat the crowd and snag the times we want?

Edited by IndyKid
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IndyKid said:

Yes, I saw that. That will be where we go on the nights we don't do the specialty restaurants.

My only concern is that Princess won't allow me to make any reservations for the specialty places until after we pay the balance of our cruise fare. I'm thinking maybe paying it off early so I can beat the crowd and snag the times we want?

Well, good luck. I am elite and can’t find availability for 3/7 nights that I want for my October cruise. Paid in full months ago.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dog said:

Well, good luck. I am elite and can’t find availability for 3/7 nights that I want for my October cruise. Paid in full months ago.

Did you pay it in full before the 90-day deadline? I'm thinking about doing it 4 months before the sail date and then trying to book them. Since this is a Christmas gift for the wife I'll probably do it right after that with the wife's input for meal times, etc.

1 minute ago, IndyKid said:

Did you pay it in full before the 90-day deadline? I'm thinking about doing it 4 months before the sail date and then trying to book them. Since this is a Christmas gift for the wife I'll probably do it right after that with the wife's input for meal times, etc.

Yes, only because I use aeroplan reward miles for most of my flights and  it worked out for me to pay in full. Otherwise I wouldn’t.  The app is giving me a lot of issues and it is only a problem with my Sun booking.  Can you call and get TA or a CVP to book?

Indy...  I am not sure if the system is consistent with when it will allow you to book the Specialty dining.   I would keep checking the App.

And, as just mentioned, of you have a good TA or Princess Planner, try that.

Are you on the roll-call for your cruise?   Maybe others will post there when they are able to make reservations.

Like mentioned above, by final payment, the most desired times, the prime dinner hour, can begin to be all booked up.  Crown Grill seems to get booked fast.

Also, I believe that they do hold a pretty good percentage of reservations until boarding.

If you want to try to get a better time, then seeing if that is possible would be one of your first orders of business on boarding day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dog said:

Can you call and get TA or a CVP to book?

Good question. My TA is away right now, on a cruise! I might get with her when she returns...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndyKid said:

@Wishing on a star, I haven't checked out the roll call yet, but I will. I've also heard that you can get a reservation at certain restaurants once aboard. Is that usually done at Guest Services, or at each individual restaurant?

Phone the dining line if it still exists or go to the restaurant to reserve. You may end up with late dining,. Try calling when your TA returns.

Here is what it says about the dining on the web-site.

Exclusive dining for Sanctuary Collection guests with a custom chef’s menu, no reservations, and award winning service.

It also mentiones Private Cabanas in the Sanctuary area...  But that might not mean that they are at no charge.

20 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Here is what it says about the dining on the web-site.

Exclusive dining for Sanctuary Collection guests with a custom chef’s menu, no reservations, and award winning service.

Yes, for the private dining area venue. We'll use this on the nights we don't go to a specialty restaurant. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 12:45 AM, IndyKid said:

Right!  They're already "in".  I asked because I thought it was already the way it was, didn't know they were waiting to implement it.
What are the other changes that will come in October?