Dress code

Tubesten

13 minutes ago, Cruise-Cat said:

But isn’t that the point of “Rules” - to restrict choice?

Saga make their policies/rules clear - your choice is to book and accept them or not to book. Simples!

Agreed. As I stated above, I will always comply with a dress code out of respect for my fellow passengers. But the fact that I comply with a code does not preclude me from criticising it, as some posters seem to imply.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

I agree. As naturists we find the dress codes restricting and unnecessary. I'm sure you would agree that our freedom of choice should apply when cruising. 

But what would you wear on a formal night? 🙂

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Happily the word Jeans covers a multitude of sins, I’m not referring to the blue, riveted denim of Levi Strauss but the many versions produced by some of our world’s most revered fashion houses. Well cut and most of all well worn will beat a pair of off the rail gents slacks into a cocked hat.

An interesting post. What are or are not jeans. Are a pair of trousers with rear patch pockets in a Levis style but not made of denim jeans? Are a pair of trousers made of denim but in another style jeans? Saga's dress code refers to denim not jeans, so the former would be acceptable but the latter would not.

There is a well known incident from 1951 when Bing Crosby was refused service in a Canadian hotel because he was wearing denim jeans. Levis became aware of it and presented him with a denim tuxedo (dinner jacket) to match them! But Bing would still have potentially been refused service wearing his denim tuxedo on a Saga ship.

Edited by Denarius

The problem is if you try & tweek the Dress Code & allow people a wider choice of clothing against the "Smart Casual" Code you end up with varying interpretations!. On one Cruise Line I have seem Smart Casual deemed as looking as you have just come off the allotment acceptable!. This leads to "I've paid my money I'll wear what I like!.

• Like 1

Country Club Casual, is used by some as what to wear, which defeats me although you don’t see it quoted quite so much now as I think Country Club is more a North American institution. Plus have now found the Dress Code on the web sight interesting hummmmmm!

Edited by Canal archive

I say bring back school uniform for  cruises.  Appoint a supplier for Saga blue Blazer and trousers, Saga blue shirts and Blouses , pleated sckool skirts ladies. We can all pretend we are teenagers again. 

Appoint uniform prefects from highest level of Brittania club. Easy Peasy.

• Haha 4

This topic fascinates us so excuse us for interrupting, just looking at Saga for the first time for our diamond anniversary next year, we have been crushing for about fifty years when the main topic was POSH or smoking never dress code, for the youngsters posh was port out starboard home to the USA. Personally would always dress what we are comfortable in. Sorry again but it's interesting to us.😃

• Like 1

Love the idea of a uniform. Wouldn’t that make things much easier for those who have difficulty with a dress code. Mind you, there will always be those who will want to “style and individualise“ their uniforms in some way.  I can’t help but wonder that If one were to accept that polo shirts are an acceptable form of smart casual clothing during dinner in the MDR then I would assume that my bright orange polo shirt with the number twelve emblazoned on the back and a huge sporting motif on the font would obviously be considered acceptable. Having now established that sporting wear is acceptable I would assume that a black singlet would also be considered acceptable. Nowadays, these seem to be worn to show off to full effect an individual’s array of tattoos along the length of both arms and I am sure that the wearers of such apparel might well consider this to be a an acceptable interpretation of smart casual.  Who ultimately decides on what is considered acceptable? We obviously can’t be trusted so Saga have made the decision for us and published a perfectly reasonable dress code for us to follow. Come on people - why is that so difficult?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

How did we get round the uniform restrictions ahh yes roll the waste band of your skirt to shorten the skirt for one.
It’s an interesting discussion but then rules and regulations should regularly on the  discussion list someone just may come up with a super dooper idea you never know.

Dress comfortable and smart and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2