Jim_Iain - Live from Oceania Regatta - September 14 Vancouver to Los Angeles

Jim_Iain

Well the internet seems to be working pretty good at the moment and uploading photos are not bad at all.    Yea... 

BTW to you tech nerds -

Many have asked about the TV's and the availability of ports.   Like Celebrity, Oceania use Samsung TV's.     Both also use them as dumb monitors and there is an Ethernet connection which provides content from the main menu.  

The Room remotes do not have any Input buttons nor other ways to intuitive get to the ports.    Also the living room TV was really tight against the wall.    I always bring some HDMI extenders and a pair of long hemostats, which helped...

The TV's have 3 HDMI Ports as well as a a USB which can provide power.  

I also have a Universal Remote with me.    The universal remote has an Input button as as soon as I pressed it a little box popped up USB1.    Since I used USB3 I clicked it 2 more times and the Firestick Menu popped up.... Yea. 

Bandwidth is a different story.    At times one is unable to stream but still playing around with that.    I can stream better on my iPhone so may try casting later.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Harters said:

Such a civilised country. 

In California, Pot is legal but still illegally by the Feds.    Most areas it is also not permissible to smoke outside or in public place but of course people do.   

I though it was interesting that on the Canadian Customs Declaration there was a question -  Are you carrying any Marijuana.   I guess it's legal to bring in but you have to declare the quantity is less than some type of quantity limit (personal consumption).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Just reading this raised my blood pressure.  We just took our daughter and SIL to Ireland and Scotland in early August and the trip started with their flight out of Denver being cancelled and all of our flights JFK to Dublin cancelled.  Talk about stress.  Luckily we had no ship to catch but it was a terrible start to the long anticipated trip.  I’m sorry your trip went sideways right off the bat but hopefully that will be the one and only glitch!

Joanie

Joanie ---

We have also had some wild experiences.   The worst was a couple years ago - We were flying in 2 days early for a cruise and the big floods of Fort Lauderdale hit closing the airport.    We got as far as Dallas and our flight was cancelled so took 2 days getting out arriving at 2 AM the day of the cruise.  

26 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Yes Astoria WAS lovely  but not now.

SF is OK from a tour bus, that takes you to select areas  for tourists to see  but no way can you enjoy it on your own as we like to do most ports.

We are enjoying the Regatta very much, yes it doesn't impress like the Vista   but the food is very good, clientelle is congenial, only 2 very bored small children.

San Francisco often takes a bad wrap.    Like all major cities there are bad areas that I would stay clear of but most of the city is beyond safe.

We use to have a place up on Russian Hill at the top of Lombard Street.   Nob Hill and Russian Hill are probably the most expensive part of the city.   I would often  walk down to the Marina, Fisherman's wharf and lil Italy.    Never would have a fear at all.  

Market Street, Union Square and The Tenderloin are areas I will rarely go to.  

A really fun thing to do if ported in SF is to take the Ferry to Tiberon or Sausilito --If you stay on the Ferry it will also go to Angel Island which was the equivalent to Ellis Island of the west .   It is now a National Park with fantastic hiking and views and lots of wild deer.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bbqoug said:

We had an excellent dinner at Toscana last night.

I had the Ministrone soup, small portion of lasagne, and the Dover Sole - all delicious.

I especially liked the lasagne.

We ate in MDR last night and I have to say --- I was impressed.   Can't wait to try the specialty dining.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We took the SkyTrain to the end of the line - Waterfront Station. 

it was a 5 minute walk to Canada Place.  

A pleasant guide pointed us to the ramp for luggage drop and checking. 

IMG_5439.thumb.jpeg.35552e7506e7ad39abf62494ce936905.jpeg

IMG_5440.thumb.jpeg.ec3e5a65450f0c6b4cf77c32b69e7e03.jpeg

IMG_5442.thumb.jpeg.539ef58f5c4d836675cc80bebd545c4e.jpeg

IMG_5444.thumb.jpeg.121220cfbcd8146eeae156a97e8ae4c5.jpeg

wow, when we sailed from Vancouver on Cunard's QE in 2022 it was total chaos. 3 ships in and it took us nearly 3 hours to get through. Bon Voyage - we are new to Oceania next month sailing Regatta from Tokyo, so I'm very interested in your trip. 

IMG_5497.thumb.jpeg.8a6327ac04e65fa455e5d437ef610bdc.jpeg

Really impressed with the Versace dinnerware

IMG_5502.thumb.jpeg.3b1e1ef9a1873e93cc77d5ade3c4f6a1.jpeg

the little lamps add a nice ambiance. 

IMG_5503.thumb.jpeg.d96ab8a74ac8c642fc701e60e4eb5afc.jpeg

Nice bread basket

IMG_5504.thumb.jpeg.b214b979e75a33c6e930dd16a05766f7.jpeg

Steamed local muscles for a starter

Iain had the cauliflower soup.  

IMG_5506.thumb.jpeg.418244ed6bbe59063d69b080b0cb277b.jpeg

Turbot and a Sid of rosemary potatoes

IMG_5507.thumb.jpeg.64070c7c3e25a9a738297bfd48360594.jpeg

IMG_5508.thumb.jpeg.13d0378d92e4880a086c83d3e5e5324b.jpeg

Pork Medallions and Polenta-  really good 

For dessert Vanilla soufflé 

IMG_5511.thumb.jpeg.d26aee3b5294f99399d8613c9d450c8b.jpeg

And Almond Cronquette

IMG_5512.thumb.jpeg.7e41293e70309146b094db1ce6635216.jpeg

• Like 16

45 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

In California, Pot is legal but still illegally by the Feds.    Most areas it is also not permissible to smoke outside or in public place but of course people do.   

I though it was interesting that on the Canadian Customs Declaration there was a question -  Are you carrying any Marijuana.   I guess it's legal to bring in but you have to declare the quantity is less than some type of quantity limit (personal consumption).

While marijuana is legal in Canada it is not legal to bring it into the country unless you have a valid prescription for a drug authorized by Health Canada. Even if you have a valid and authorized drug you have to declare it. (Source: Canada Border Services Agency)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

San Francisco often takes a bad wrap.    Like all major cities there are bad areas that I would stay clear of but most of the city is beyond safe.

We use to have a place up on Russian Hill at the top of Lombard Street.   Nob Hill and Russian Hill are probably the most expensive part of the city.   I would often  walk down to the Marina, Fisherman's wharf and lil Italy.    Never would have a fear at all.  

Market Street, Union Square and The Tenderloin are areas I will rarely go to.  

A really fun thing to do if ported in SF is to take the Ferry to Tiberon or Sausilito --If you stay on the Ferry it will also go to Angel Island which was the equivalent to Ellis Island of the west .   It is now a National Park with fantastic hiking and views and lots of wild deer.

I couldn't agree more. Don't miss this city because of what you see on TV. I used to live in Glen Park and enjoyed jogging over Diamond Heights and through Noe Valley and the Castro. I'll be back next month on a different cruise line and will hop on Bart and make a day of it. I might end up in Chinatown, wander along Haight St., into the park. So much to do - I wish we were there for several days.

• Like 2

Last summer, we went to San Francisco and Napa for 10 days and were apprehending the state of the city. We walked all over the city for 5 of those days and always felt safe, even at night. I must say, it got cold at night for us Floridians.

2 hours ago, bbqoug said:

We had an excellent dinner at Toscana last night.

I had the Ministrone soup, small portion of lasagne, and the Dover Sole - all delicious.

I especially liked the lasagne.

These are our reservation.    I thought I booked Toscana for day one but must have been wrong. 

Toscana is tomorrow 

image.thumb.jpg.2a1d66ea8216016bfbefa1ad3041bb9e.jpg

2 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

wow, when we sailed from Vancouver on Cunard's QE in 2022 it was total chaos. 3 ships in and it took us nearly 3 hours to get through. Bon Voyage - we are new to Oceania next month sailing Regatta from Tokyo, so I'm very interested in your trip. 

There were 3 ships in port yesterday but we didn’t check in until 2.    Looks like long lines for Princess and Holland America. 

One advantage of Oceania small ships.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, walkingsoon said:

I couldn't agree more. Don't miss this city because of what you see on TV. I used to live in Glen Park and enjoyed jogging over Diamond Heights and through Noe Valley and the Castro. I'll be back next month on a different cruise line and will hop on Bart and make a day of it. I might end up in Chinatown, wander along Haight St., into the park. So much to do - I wish we were there for several days.

Iain use to work for Janet Yellen when she was president of the SF Federal Reserve.  As president she was entitled to limo service, she is so down to earth she took Bart from Berkley instead. 

While our place in SF is now our cruise fund, I really miss Russian Hill.   You definitely felt like you were in SF with the cable cars running down Hyde and the early morning fog horn.   I loved walking out our front door and seeing Alcatraz and the bay. 

Iain used it 4 nights a week and called it his dungeon.   My dog and I would just come up occasionally for a dinner and overnight.  To me it was like being on vacation.  

BTW.  It was tiny but to use as a pied-a-terre  it was perfect.  

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Iain use to work for Janet Yellen when she was president of the SF Federal Reserve.  As president she was entitled to limo service, she is so down to earth she took Bart from Berkley instead. 

While our place in SF is now our cruise fund, I really miss Russian Hill.   You definitely felt like you were in SF with the cable cars running down Hyde and the early morning fog horn.   I loved walking out our front door and seeing Alcatraz and the bay. 

Iain used it 4 nights a week and called it his dungeon.   My dog and I would just come up occasionally for a dinner and overnight.  To me it was like being on vacation.  

BTW.  It was tiny but to use as a pied-a-terre  it was perfect.  

What a perfect place to live in SF!!! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Brings back memories of our New Year in SF. Couldn't believe the smell of dope when we went to the Haight. Added to the whole experience. Nearly had a heart attack when a Christmas Tree discarded on the pavement "took legs" and walked along beside us. Clearly the locals enjoy scaring the ***** out of the tourists. That was a fabulous holiday.

• Like 3

From our experience, butlers never met us when we were in a penthouse, so maybe the meet and greet is for higher level suites.

In response to your question, the LJ in our user name stands for Larry and Janet.  We hope you continue to find the Regatta very enjoyable.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lj77346 said:

Also at lunch there was no Humphrey Slocombe ice cream, just vanilla, chocolate, Neapolitan, pistachio and rainbow sherbet.

That is really sad.  Another thing that set Oceania apart from X is now no more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Yes Astoria WAS lovely  but not now.

SF is OK from a tour bus, that takes you to select areas  for tourists to see  but no way can you enjoy it on your own as we like to do most ports.

We are enjoying the Regatta very much, yes it doesn't impress like the Vista   but the food is very good, clientelle is congenial, only 2 very bored small children.

We live north of SFO by about an hour…...we now only go there for SF Giants games via ferry, Warriors games, and Dr appts. Back in the day, it was a lovely city to go shopping, dining, walking. I worked in the City in 80’s, then moved on in my career, and remained having clients there -  the decline started progressing, and it seems worse post COVID. It’s such a shame as architecturally, geographically it could still be the beauty it once was. I suppose, the same can be said for many major cities. 

The bus tours will show the highlights of the city. There remain  great restaurants, The Bay,  beautiful neighborhoods - Jim/Ian,  you lived in one of the finest. Having lived there, you know it better than most for sure where to go, and not go. 

I do not know what they are offering for excursions. If some on board love nature, Muir Woods is a beautiful National Monument  north of the Golden Gate Bridge (fun to walk across the bridge if you’ve never done). We have another Redwood State park closer to where we live, and it never gets old walking the trails amongst the Giants. They truly are spectacular if that type of day is of interest. 

Haven’t been to Astoria for years, but it was lovely as well, in such a very different manner. 

Have a fantastic journey. I appreciate the time you are taking to share your experiences on Oceania with all of us! 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 3