Are the bars open in PORT ?

Bobby Winds

In Canadian ports they are only allowed one bar open on each deck.

Not usually a major problem when most people are in port, but when the ship is in port later then it can be a pain. We had a couple of meals where bar service was slow at the beginning until they could open more bars.

Tax was payable in Boston as well as New York on our cruise. I’m not sure about Portland - we didn’t have a charge but I’m not sure whether we had a drink whilst in port. No tax in Canada.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2024 at 8:22 AM, KeithJenner said:

In Canadian ports they are only allowed one bar open on each deck.

Not usually a major problem when most people are in port, but when the ship is in port later then it can be a pain.

Amen.  It is a pain and appears to be really idiotic law as, at least with what I've observed, cruisers don't stay longer and drink in Canadian ports b/c they know bar access is limited on the ship.

6 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Amen.  It is a pain and appears to be really idiotic law as, at least with what I've observed, cruisers don't stay longer and drink in Canadian ports b/c they know bar access is limited on the ship.

It is problematic when you have a late port call like in Victoria when you arrive at 8 pm and only a few go ashore. Everyone wants to enjoy their last night of beverages and there are only a few bars open. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is problematic when you have a late port call like in Victoria when you arrive at 8 pm and only a few go ashore. Everyone wants to enjoy their last night of beverages and there are only a few bars open. 

I would think of that time in Victoria as the beginning of  "Detox".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

We weren't charged when we left Miami last year.

That would be very unusual...I have sailed out of Miami multiple time on embarkation day and always paid taxes on drinks. Granted, it's less than a dollar per drink so not really noticable in the grand scheme of things.

And I believe the tax is only charged on Embarkation ports, not US ports in general. So there wouldn't be a tax in Alaska or Maine as the cruise does not start from those ports. I have been charged tax in Miami, NYC, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Port Canaveral and Seattle. 

14 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

That would be very unusual...I have sailed out of Miami multiple time on embarkation day and always paid taxes on drinks. Granted, it's less than a dollar per drink so not really noticable in the grand scheme of things.

And I believe the tax is only charged on Embarkation ports, not US ports in general. So there wouldn't be a tax in Alaska or Maine as the cruise does not start from those ports. I have been charged tax in Miami, NYC, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Port Canaveral and Seattle. 

I haven’t ever been charged in Port Canaveral. Maybe NCL has decided that it is easier to eat the cost than deal with the book keeping that is involved.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

We were charged tax in Boston last week despite it being a port of call.

It is, of course an embarkation port on other ports, so this would suggest that you may be charged in such ports regardless of whether you are embarking there or not.