Sukhothai

BirdTravels

Any thoughts on NCL Thai food? We've booked the Aqua and want to try Sukhothai, but don't tolerate a lot of spice (we like spice, but spice doesn't like us).

image.png.bb2ae26905553865f36c118310c62c0b.png

Making its debut is Sukhothai, the Company's first-ever Thai specialty restaurant, featuring an eclectic menu with authentic, traditional offerings with creative, dynamic flavors. Guests can look forward to a new spin on traditional staples, such as Thai Cashew Chicken; Salt and Pepper Prawns; Thai Grilled Steak Salad; a variety of complementing curries and so much more. Décor imagined by the London-based SMC Design firm, the upscale dining venue will boast a harmonious blend of traditional and contemporary Thai design elements. When guests walk into Sukhothai on deck 17, they will be greeted with a warm, inviting atmosphere of bamboo and rice paper pendant lights; a striking geometric patterned floor; and colorful furniture transporting diners to the culturally rich country of Thailand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wow a thai restaurant on a cruise ship!

The sample menu doesn’t look like spicy food:
Thai Cashew Chicken - not spicy. This’s like Chinese stir-fried 

Salt and Pepper Prawns - not spicy

Thai Grilled Steak Salad - can be made non-spicy by excluding jalapeños (I doubt that they will thai chili on the ship). 
Curries - probably pre-made Americanized version. I’m pretty sure they’ll make it super sweet like what they serve in Thai restaurants in US. 

• Like 1

Can't comment on the spiciness level, as haven't visited it, but we all can assume rather tame seasoning with perhaps hotter sauces on the side to get it back to where some of us (me!) like it. 

I'm thrilled that NCL is getting creative on their specialty restaurants.  Food Republic is my all-time favorite venue.

• Like 4

just ask when they are taking your order if the dish is spicy .  I know that is subjective, but if it turns out to be too spicy, send it back and ask for much tamer version ( I do that a lot).  

About half of my family is Asian and we usually have this experience in Thai restaurants:  Those who order things "Thai hot" and are Asian will get it.  I'm a blonde Caucasian and the wait staff will not think I can eat that (no doubt from experience - I don't blame them) and will make mine "normal hot" no matter what I say, lol.  I'm sure it will be toned down quite a bit on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

The concept drawing makes it look cafeteria-like 😞 

And, like a lot of restaurants on the Prima-class ships, they are going to the "easy to clean" laminate flooring with very little sound-dampening materials on the walls and ceilings. That makes all of the new restaurants very loud... not a pleasant dinner experience. 

And... unfortunately, it takes the place of Food Republic on the Aqua. 

image.png.d5f5444ada1a5b773e4b0b360f5df9eb.png