LIVE: Sailing Solo on Sapphire! Cheeky Little Coastal Sep 24-28

ceilidh1

15 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

I never got one either. I assumed it was because I’m a U.S. Citizen. Weird

We just got off a Disney cruise in Port Canaveral a few weeks ago and weren't given them either, despite being Canadians.  We were told that due to a new system of customs, where they take your picture in a queue and then match you, it's faster and more efficient.

We just got our luggage, stood in line for a minute or two, got to the thing, it took our picture, gave us a green light and we were sent off to the outside.

Not sure of all the rules for it but that could be why.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, OttawaJohn said:

Thanks to both of you and the others commenting about this cruise, specifically the ship.  My wife and I just booked a cruise in 2026 on the Sapphire and I was a little concerned given the age of the ship.  But clearly it's held dearly in the hearts of a lot of cruisers, which reassured me.

We'd gladly book Sapphire over any newer ship. 32 days this past Spring, and she and her crew are the best.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OttawaJohn said:

We just got off a Disney cruise in Port Canaveral a few weeks ago and weren't given them either, despite being Canadians.  We were told that due to a new system of customs, where they take your picture in a queue and then match you, it's faster and more efficient.

That's correct, the old customs form is history when entering the United States.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting off the ship was a breeze. Our group was called off at 8:45am. There was about 15 minute line up for CBP. Definitely experienced way worse in the past. Headed out of the port building…and that’s where things fell apart!

There was so much confusion among port staff, bus drivers, etc. People were loaded on buses, then told to get off and get on another. People were told their airline/flight didn’t exist. People were frustrated, staff were clueless. It took well over an hour to actually get buses loaded (and I don’t think any of us are confident we are on the correct bus). To add to the frustration, the guide just told us that because it took so long to get us loaded, our tour would be cut short and we no longer had the option to walk across the bridge!

Our guide is not good. Not only does she fumble over her words and lose her train of thought constantly, she also doesn’t know left from right. She keeps saying things like “coming up on the right” and we all look to the right and miss what she is actually referring to, since it’s on the left…

The bridge is completely encased in fog. You can’t actually see anything (I’m glad I’ve been many times and experienced it in good weather). We stopped at Vista Point for pictures (of the fog) and bathroom break. Our guide told us to make sure we get back on the right bus but neglected to tell us the bus number or the time. We had to ask. She had to look it up. This really is a gong show…

IMG_6503.jpeg

IMG_6504.jpeg

IMG_6505.jpeg

IMG_6506.jpeg

IMG_6507.jpeg

IMG_6508.jpeg

IMG_6509.jpeg

IMG_6510.jpeg

IMG_6511.jpeg

IMG_6512.jpeg

IMG_6513.jpeg

IMG_6514.jpeg

IMG_6515.jpeg

IMG_6516.jpeg

• Like 9

Back on the bus to go to Sausalito. Confusion ensues again because after three times counting (well, actually clicking as the guide apparently has to use a clicker rather than counting heads) we apparently have too many people. This should not be so hard. The driver does a head count and confirms we have the right number. Sigh. 

We are reminded yet again that our tour is running late (whose fault was that?) so we will only have 20 minutes to spend in Sausalito…which is meant to be the main portion of our tour. It’s such a great little town with wonderful stores, coffee shops, restaurants…too bad there was no time to go to any of them. Needless to say, the entire bus is mad!

IMG_6517.jpeg

IMG_6518.jpeg

IMG_6519.jpeg

IMG_6520.jpeg

IMG_6521.jpeg

IMG_6522.jpeg

IMG_6523.jpeg

IMG_6524.jpeg

IMG_6525.jpeg

IMG_6526.jpeg

IMG_6527.jpeg

IMG_6528.jpeg

IMG_6529.jpeg

IMG_6530.jpeg

IMG_6531.jpeg

IMG_6532.jpeg

IMG_6533.jpeg

IMG_6534.jpeg

IMG_6535.jpeg

IMG_6536.jpeg

IMG_6537.jpeg

IMG_6538.jpeg

IMG_6539.jpeg

IMG_6540.jpeg

IMG_6541.jpeg

IMG_6542.jpeg

IMG_6543.jpeg

IMG_6544.jpeg

IMG_6545.jpeg

• Like 10

I have San Francisco post cruise excursion after my Hawaii cruise Oct 15.

Were your pictures from the bus on post cruise excursion?

Did you get off the bus anytime on the excursion?

What time did you arrive at the airport?

Edited by phabric

Our guide is useless. She told us that parking in San Francisco is so expensive- $50 a month. Rent is expensive- $900 for a single family home per month. The whole bus is like “huh?” She also said minimum price to buy a place in Sausalito is $9 million. I don’t know if I trust any of her numbers…

Next (and final) stop is the Ferry Building. We arrived there at 12:20pm and our guide told us we needed to leave at 12:45pm to get to the airport “on time.” I thought there was going to be a mutiny! One passenger took charge and went down the bus asking every person what time their flight was. (This tour was for people with flights after 4pm). No one had a flight before 5pm, so the driver reluctantly allowed us to have until 1pm. 

The ferry building and farmers market are delightful, but so busy that there really wasn’t time to wait in line to buy stuff. Plus, the majority of things to buy were not things anyone could take with them on a flight…It would have made more sense to do the Ferry Building first (when quieter) and spend less time there and more time in Sausalito, to allow people to buy lunch there…but what do I know!

IMG_6546.jpeg

IMG_6547.jpeg

IMG_6548.jpeg

IMG_6549.jpeg

IMG_6550.jpeg

IMG_6551.jpeg

IMG_6552.jpeg

IMG_6553.jpeg

IMG_6554.jpeg

IMG_6555.jpeg

IMG_6556.jpeg

IMG_6557.jpeg

IMG_6559.jpeg

IMG_6560.jpeg

IMG_6558.jpeg

• Like 11

Finally got to the airport at 1:30pm and, yet again, unnecessary confusion. The driver was saying one thing, the guide another. No one had a clue! I have never been so glad to get off a tour and sit in an airport! 

No line for security and the airport seems relatively quiet right now. I’m going in search of a bathroom and the lounge!

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Finally got to the airport at 1:30pm and, yet again, unnecessary confusion. The driver was saying one thing, the guide another. No one had a clue! I have never been so glad to get off a tour and sit in an airport! 

No line for security and the airport seems relatively quiet right now. I’m going in search of a bathroom and the lounge!

You need a drink. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, phabric said:

Is one side if the bus better to see the sights - behind driver side or door side.

16 minutes ago, phabric said:
37 minutes ago, phabric said:

Is one side if the bus better to see the sights - behind driver side or door side.

Did you read her trip report? It's all in there. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, phabric said:

The tour I did was Facets of San Francisco, a debark tour with drop off at the airport. Reviews were all positive and it was described as a drive to the bridge, option to drive over on the bus or walk over and meet the bus at the viewing point on the other end, 45 minutes to an hour in Sausalito, drive to Ferry Building, 45 minutes to an hour there, then drop off at airport. Unfortunately, due to the shambles, chaos, confusion with getting folks onto the right buses…we lost almost an hour and a half of our tour time so no option to walk the bridge, barely 20 minutes in Sausalito, and just over half hour at the Ferry Building (because the passengers revolted). Our guide was awful. By far the worst tour I’ve ever taken, but I don’t think this is the norm for this tour at all!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

$900/month for a single family home in SF?

Perhaps in 1984.  In a less-desirable neighborhood. 

That tour does sound like an utter disaster. 

And don’t forget $50 a month for parking in the Downtown area… seriously, we were all shaking our heads!

• Like 4

Since I have a lot of time to kill, I walked from terminal 2 down to terminal 1 to go to the new SFO club lounge. I have lounge passes, but this one is one of the more expensive day pass options at $75. That being said, it’s really nice and has a decent selection of food and drink and lots of nice seating. I’ll try to discreetly get more pics of the area and food before I leave, but here’s the bar (of course)

IMG_6563.jpeg

IMG_6561.jpeg

IMG_6562.jpeg

• Like 5

Just now, ceilidh1 said:

And don’t forget $50 a month for parking in the Downtown area… seriously, we were all shaking our heads!

It is to laugh.  My usual hotel in downtown is $72.  Per night.  And I don’t think that’s even top of the range.   And my car doesn’t even get a chocolate on the pillow.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4