New Princess Money Grabber Water Package Now $24.00

hpeabody

3 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Your'e right and when that restaurant added that mandatory 20% and $2.50 credit card fee, you made the choice not to blow up your budget, but go elsewhere.  But wasn't it upsetting to learn what your favorite restaurant had done, no notice, no warning that it was coming?  I know when my favorite restaurant stopped serving spaghetti with cut up hot dogs, I was furious, and starting eating elsewhere.   

No I made the choice to continue to eat there. People are free to choose other cruise lines as well. People also complain that they are being asked to pay $50 for a wine they can buy for $12 at the local store. They obviously have not dined out before. They can very easily bring there own wine on board and pay a corkage fee just like they would at any restaurant 

7 minutes ago, CaribbeanIsland said:

For those who mention it is not that expensive - would you like a 350% increase on what you like to buy? Regardless of the price this is a huge jump. It is not a necessary increase. They could have easily raised this to $10 and still have a huge profit over it.

I used to be able to fly to Europe for around $500 now it cost several thousands. Again my choice to pay or forgo the trip. Has anyone looked at airline prices or hotel prices from pre pandemic times to today ?

Just now, memoak said:

No I made the choice to continue to eat there. People are free to choose other cruise lines as well. People also complain that they are being asked to pay $50 for a wine they can buy for $12 at the local store. They obviously have not dined out before. They can very easily bring there own wine on board and pay a corkage fee just like they would at any restaurant 

memoak, we pretty much agree.  I think the only issue I personally have is when there is no notice given.  I can remember in the past when, say gratuities were going to increase, Princess would put out a notice to let everyone know what was coming and give everyone a chance to purchase before the increase.  Nowadays, you wake up and it's done.  Would be nice if they would go back to sending out the notice.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Our kids drink none of those, but still get Plus. We like the all inclusive feel.

What makes sense for some doesn't for others. 

Princess thanks you for your donation which you have every right to make if it's what you want.  Every person has their own choices to make.

Edited by kywildcatfanone
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, janetz said:

The person who posted no plastic water bottles is inncorrect

Every cruise we hand over our water, plastic bottles and packaged seltzer in cans to the luggage porter, with a cabin tag on each
They happily take it and it always arrives at our cabin. 😊

Some people will say this is not allowed, but they are also incorrect. Nowhere will you find in writing that you are not allowed to hand it over to the porters

Pretty clear in the language that the restrictions to bringing it onboard applies to items given to the porters as well. Especially since that the exception to restrictions requires that you bring what is allowed in hand luggage.

The rules are clear. The only thing that is not clear is how consistently Princess is enforcing the rules in the cruise contract.

24 minutes ago, whitecap said:

memoak, we pretty much agree.  I think the only issue I personally have is when there is no notice given.  I can remember in the past when, say gratuities were going to increase, Princess would put out a notice to let everyone know what was coming and give everyone a chance to purchase before the increase.  Nowadays, you wake up and it's done.  Would be nice if they would go back to sending out the notice.  

What companies out there in any industry give you advance notice of a price increase?  Airlines? Hotels? Gas stations? how about your grocery store?

• Thanks 1

I'll wrap up my comments here since this topic was about a 3x increase in price all at once on water.  While it was an inexpensive overall change in dollars, a 300+% increase in anything is alarming. 

I dare say if the packages increased by 300+% many people would complain that it impacts.

We used to either buy a case or trade mini bar for it.  Will now likely trade to get it and lug on our soft drinks.  

2 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Pretty clear in the language that the restrictions to bringing it onboard applies to items given to the porters as well. Especially since that the exception to restrictions requires that you bring what is allowed in hand luggage.

The rules are clear. The only thing that is not clear is how consistently Princess is enforcing the rules in the cruise contract.

The "rules" probably achieve 90% compliance, and Princess doesn't want to lose those of us who choose not to comply. An ambiguous situation for sure... I do wish we had received advance notice about the price increase for water. I would have ordered it for booked cruises. Meanwhile, we will grudgingly pay the increase. Definitely not a deal-breaker.

47 minutes ago, whitecap said:

I know when my favorite restaurant stopped serving spaghetti with cut up hot dogs, I was furious, and starting eating elsewhere.   

I imagine that Princess chefs would indulge you on this special treat. 😜

35 minutes ago, Teechur said:

The "rules" probably achieve 90% compliance, and Princess doesn't want to lose those of us who choose not to comply. An ambiguous situation for sure... I do wish we had received advance notice about the price increase for water. I would have ordered it for booked cruises. Meanwhile, we will grudgingly pay the increase. Definitely not a deal-breaker.

I expect that enforcement will tighten when and if princess switches from plastic to metal or cartons for water 

49 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I'll wrap up my comments here since this topic was about a 3x increase in price all at once on water.  While it was an inexpensive overall change in dollars, a 300+% increase in anything is alarming. 

I dare say if the packages increased by 300+% many people would complain that it impacts.

We used to either buy a case or trade mini bar for it.  Will now likely trade to get it and lug on our soft drinks.  

It’s a 243% increase. See post 202 please 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

We usually order multiple 12 packs of water for each cruise.  DH is a very big water drinker, 5-6 or more bottles a day.  Very disappointed in the price increase.  Why triple the cost! Just a pure money grab and with no warning!  Some in the know folks here warned us about up coming price increase for WiFi and daily tips.  Princess just snuck this increase in.  
I know others say the water is fine, but after we started bringing our own or ordering the 12 packs my fingers and feet have stopped swelling from the ships water.  

We are standard fare people and princess will never get me to buy a package.  Don’t want my business, that’s okay I have other options.  We like to cruise at a minimum once a year, but hitting the road in our travel trailer to see the USA is much more rewarding to us.  We have 3 cruises booked and will become Elite on the next one.  

I wonder what plans Princess has for the small bottles of liquor that you can purchase pre cruise?  At around $18 for very small 375ml bottle I can see the future where these double in price or Princess stops making them available for purchase.  

We still plan to bring a 6 or 12 pack of bottled water at embarkation and purchase more at each port along with soda.  If they take it away fine, water is cheap at home

it’s really just the amount of the increase and no warning that has me pissed off at Princess.  

Edited by Therese S.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TRLD said:

I expect that enforcement will tighten when and if princess switches from plastic to metal or cartons for water 

"When and if" they switch, so will we. Again, not a deal-breaker.

Some people on this forum seem pretty anxious to see the rest of us forced into compliance. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Teechur said:

"When and if" they switch, so will we. Again, not a deal-breaker.

Some people on this forum seem pretty anxious to see the rest of us forced into compliance. 🤷‍♂️

Just talking about what the other lines have done and that Princess is likely to.follow. The change is the contract is  relatively recent change, now the price increase, would not anyone to say that there was no warning or that they were surprised if/when Princess takes the next step and actually enforces the rules.

Personally i tend to take the view that if they actually have a rule they should enforce it. To have a rule then not enforce it penalizes those that follow them and rewards those that break the rules encouraging the behavior.

Edited by TRLD

5 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Just talking about what the other lines have done and that Princess is likely to.follow. The change is the contract is  relatively recent change, now the price increase, would not anyone to say that there was no warning or that they were surprised if/when Princess takes the next step and actually enforces the rules.

With the massive debt CCL is facing, I would imagine that they don't want to run off people like me over something as trivial as plastic bottles. I just returned from a Princess cruise this week and it was my third in the past year. I also took 5 other people with me (3 mini suites). 

If they decide to enforce "the rules" I will revert to rum runners.

OTOH, if they take out the laundromats, I will be looking at other brands.