Explora Journeys interview with the CCO

Stickman1990

Interesting article on Explora and it’s good to see that they understand they have work to do - interesting they recognise their particular strengths on dining and internet - no argument from me on those two 

During a trade briefing aboard EXPLORA II ahead of the ship’s christening in Civitavecchia, Italy last Saturday, Achille Staiano was transparent that the burgeoning cruise line has some work to do on fostering business relationships” 

https://latteluxurynews.com/2024/09/18/explora-journeys-to-improve-trade-back-office-support

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They need to work on their business to customer relationships as well. 
Im disappointed to learn the future focus is 7 night cruises albeit combinable ones. Im on a cruise with a strap line as a 14 night cruise, it’s actually 2 seven night experiences. You have the entertainment staff talking about the final night of this cruise when it’s actually the final night of the segment. My biggest fear is Deja vu entertainment next week now. 

• Thanks 1

To be fair, when I was doing my research, the Seabourn cruises were often structured as 7, 14 and 21 nights.  I found it confusing at first in searching itineraries until I realised how it worked so EJ is probably no different.

6 hours ago, uktog said:

They need to work on their business to customer relationships as well. 
Im disappointed to learn the future focus is 7 night cruises albeit combinable ones. Im on a cruise with a strap line as a 14 night cruise, it’s actually 2 seven night experiences. You have the entertainment staff talking about the final night of this cruise when it’s actually the final night of the segment. My biggest fear is Deja vu entertainment next week now. 

They do the same exact shows which means you know which one to avoid. The silent night thing is a terrible idea btw, nobody went for the movie or the disco. Karaoke is always popular apparently.

The fixed menu restaurants are also gonna start feeling a little stale, they do need to add something new.

For my experience 10-11 days are the perfect length for this current explora format , one week felt very short, 2 weeks starts feeling a bit too long.

I found that I was still getting oriented for the first seven days, by fourteen days I was in the groove and didn’t want to disembark.  I’m hoping that by nineteen days, plus two beforehand in Istanbul, I’ll be a happy camper disembarking in the right frame of mind!  Let’s face it three weeks of no cooking, cleaning etc is a joy.

7 hours ago, uktog said:

My biggest fear is Deja vu entertainment next week now. 

FWIW, I listed to the "Insider Travel Report" YouTube video with Chris Austin from Explora, and he said that they would not repeat entertainment for 14 days, so doing 2 7 day B2B should get you different offering each night.  Fingers crossed for you that this is true!

• Thanks 1

I dunno ... I'm arguable the biggest Explora cheerleader on these boards (though the very nice Waltershipman gives me a run for my money!) but I'm extremely disappointed with  what I'm seeing.  

The gorgeous but not particularly functional lobby bar with its inadequate seating  was supposed to be different on E 2  but still has the exact same large and clunky furniture.

The acknowledgement of senior staff of not having enough shade has been met only  with the original as-designed chaises at the Astern pool having their little canopies. Deck 12 remains unchanged. The suggested "built-in" shaded areas that were coming aren't present.

As we've heard from uktog, the  extraordinarily unimpressive wine list remains an unacceptable offering for a luxury line.

These were all areas that could have had an easy fix (even adding pergola-like structural shading along deck 12 is not a big deal while under construction).

All the senior staff on board were very gracious and listened intently but our concerns were obviously not addressed.

A disappointment.

Well said. Having failed for two nights to get a seat in the lobby on EJ1 this week due to the space wasting large sofas and chairs - an issue I know onboard managers highlighted to head office last November- I sense there’s little genuine listening to feedback in head office. 
I also have no idea who was championing seven night cruises but it certainly wasn’t a problem I heard even whispered onboard. 

It sort of sounds like “listening to feedback” isn’t working.  I.e they’re listening but not hearing as it doesn’t fit in with their management concept.  This is not uncommon.

This will only change when someone extremely senior in the management structure  starts to ask questions on why the ships are consistently under booked.  Then the management in Switzerland will have to acknowledge feedback issues.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Khareef said:

They do the same exact shows which means you know which one to avoid. The silent night thing is a terrible idea btw, nobody went for the movie or the disco. Karaoke is always popular apparently.

I would be the first person at the Silent disco and movies with the same style headphones (so we all have a different opinion of what is a “terrible idea”). But there isn’t enough alcohol on board to ever get me to sing at Karaoke 😎

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

I don't understand why people try to use Lobby Bar when the Astern Bar is spacious and and has nice seating.  It was almost empty when I went there in May. 

img.jpg

'cause the Lobby Bar has a much more "happening" vibe for pre dinner cocktails!

Your picture doesn't particularly say "fun"!

• Like 1

In good weather the best bar would be the sky bar for me. Once again not many people seem to care. If i ever come back with a few friends i would surely be there all time the, perfect sizing for a small group of people. 

The first thing they should do is lower the protection on the forward bridge on d11 so people can have a nice view of where the ship is going to, I feel i am in jail there,,,

Then cocktails quality seem to be pretty inconsistent to me, the guys working at the lounge right now make by far the best ones.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I dunno ... I'm arguable the biggest Explora cheerleader on these boards (though the very nice Waltershipman gives me a run for my money!) but I'm extremely disappointed with  what I'm seeing.  

The gorgeous but not particularly functional lobby bar with its inadequate seating  was supposed to be different on E 2  but still has the exact same large and clunky furniture.

The acknowledgement of senior staff of not having enough shade has been met only  with the original as-designed chaises at the Astern pool having their little canopies. Deck 12 remains unchanged. The suggested "built-in" shaded areas that were coming aren't present.

As we've heard from uktog, the  extraordinarily unimpressive wine list remains an unacceptable offering for a luxury line.

These were all areas that could have had an easy fix (even adding pergola-like structural shading along deck 12 is not a big deal while under construction).

All the senior staff on board were very gracious and listened intently but our concerns were obviously not addressed.

A disappointment.

Thank you  Dr Cocktail and yes Waltershipman is nice. Thanks for the tip of the hat and yes I am a big cheerleader for EJ

My main reason these days for returning to EJ is that it fits my needs.  Cruising needs vary overtime.  While raising a family we chose more family fun cruise experiences. 

As a long time cruiser my DW and I choose fine dining , luxury accommodations., excellent service, 

Beautiful surroundings. E J handles that well  

EJ is not without blemishes  in previous times any complaints focused on back of house issues and the need for TA and on board staff to communicate with Geneva which can be difficult. Last year when we sailed the car we ordered on debarkation never came. It took months to get a refund. 

Last year there was only scant port info when we arrived at ports about the ports.

As for the Lobby bar it is a fun place for pre dinner hanging out although I have seen many post positives about sky bar which we will visit next time on board.  The lobby bar got very full with no places to sit when the ship picked up a larger passenger load.

SOLUTION 

I utilize  my TA for dealing with financial issues and similar matters. I also have developed a relationship with one of the EJ Ambassadors in Geneva that I communicate with about dining  shore excursions and those items to maximize my cruise experience and cut down communication problems.

Have a happy day and hope to see you on board one day. Last February which on O Vista we had a CC meet and greet that was very much enjoyed and got people to connect on person

Thanks for all of your posts 

3 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

As for the Lobby bar it is a fun place for pre dinner hanging out although I have seen many post positives about sky bar which we will visit next time on board.  The lobby bar got very full with no places to sit when the ship picked up a larger passenger load.

Make no mistake - Explora is my current favourite with my first Seabourn sailing approaching  (but no Silversea plans as of yet)

I’m just disappointed at the many missed opportunities on E2. There were problems on E1 like you mentioned above that the management were aware of and which they said would be corrected.

Except that they weren’t…. it’s pretty obvious that there remains a big disconnect with what Geneva thinks is required versus what actual passengers and shipboard management want.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Make no mistake - Explora is my current favourite with my first Seabourn sailing approaching  (but no Silversea plans as of yet)

I’m just disappointed at the many missed opportunities on E2. There were problems on E1 like you mentioned above that the management were aware of and which they said would be corrected.

Except that they weren’t…. it’s pretty obvious that there remains a big disconnect with what Geneva thinks is required versus what actual passengers and shipboard management want.

you will find lots of shade areas to enjoy on Seabourn.  Bon voyage.

• Like 2

I would certainly never book a cruise that’s a combination of cruises on Explora again based on today’s experience. 
It was quite a negotiation to get a room service breakfast beyond 0730

Now 5 hours later its dishes remain, our room hasn’t been touched our host uses language that creates the very wrong message telling us he will get round to it later because “he is busy looking after embarking guests”

The excursion we have for tomorrow probably won’t run but instead of giving us proper notice so we can set up an alternative private plan because it’s an embarkation day I have to wait until this evening however if I cancel now I would be charged. 
Hosts are in automatic mode, they keep trying to herd us somewhere else as our “rooms will come at 2” - even those who know us 

If they expect guests to book 14 night cruises only to run them as 2x7 they really need to smarten their act up on turnaround day. Even Celebrity and Royal handle it more professionally 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruisr said:

you will find lots of shade areas to enjoy on Seabourn.  Bon voyage.

That’s funny because I’ve read numerous complaints about the lack of shade and presence of non-padded Walmart deck chairs on Ovation and Encore…. 🤷‍♂️!!

I booked The Retreat for the first day at sea for that reason…

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 1