Princess website. Am I doing something wrong?

Illbcruzn4life

Just left the website pricing out a 12 day from Galveston next March. While pricing I picked an inside cabin and for Princess to pick my cabin, so basically a guaranteed inside. It said $799 average pp. I click through and the price was close to $4000. I haven’t cruised Princess in awhile so not sure wha is going on.

TIA

Interesting. Doesn’t seem normal. I did a mock booking  for exactly what you said and yeah, the price seems very high and different, than the $799./ person. Although it does say an average of $799 per person, but that’s a lot more money. ($1,719./ person- base fareIMG_1645.thumb.jpeg.ba0772fdb0182253bf0f6d87a48afb46.jpeg

IMG_1644.thumb.jpeg.b2596a9b1317691715fb28ae119aacbe.jpeg

IMG_1643.thumb.jpeg.25579aeaa838264b9ce934bd973cf2b0.jpeg

IMG_1642.thumb.jpeg.525f27c59614a1bd6c779cbe7fb75113.jpeg

I did a mock booking for another cruise itinerary and it comes up exactly what it says on the average. 

Edited by arizonaperson

42 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Just left the website pricing out a 12 day from Galveston next March. While pricing I picked an inside cabin and for Princess to pick my cabin, so basically a guaranteed inside. It said $799 average pp. I click through and the price was close to $4000. I haven’t cruised Princess in awhile so not sure wha is going on.

TIA

Near the top of the page, after you choose a cabin, there's a dropdown or some such that gives a breakdown of charges. This sounds like a glitch to me, but it would be interesting to see what the breakdown shows.

Another thought - did you choose Premier or Plus? That would bring the price up pretty briskly.

Edited by Sea Hag

25 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

Interesting. Doesn’t seem normal. I did a mock booking  for exactly what you said and yeah, the price seems very high and different, than the $799./ person. Although it does say an average of $799 per person, but that’s a lot more money. ($1,719./ person- base fareIMG_1645.thumb.jpeg.ba0772fdb0182253bf0f6d87a48afb46.jpeg

I did a mock booking for another cruise itinerary and it comes up exactly what it says on the average. 

Edited by Illbcruzn4life

18 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Near the top of the page, after you choose a cabin, there's a dropdown or some such that gives a breakdown of charges. This sounds like a glitch to me, but it would be interesting to see what the breakdown shows.

Another thought - did you choose Premier or Plus? That would bring the price up pretty briskly.

I didn’t get that far in the booking to pick any of those options.

I checked, out of curiosity, and it is still coming up with a strange, high, fare.

Doesn't seem to match any of the errors that would come to mind first.

Something must be going on with their system?

Do you have a Travel Agent, or a Princess Planner?

NOTE:  If I could find an acceptable cabin to select, I would not want to do a RESERVE and risk getting a location that I wouldn't like.   Usually, if there are cabins available to select, there is no savings to booking a RESERVE.  

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Usually, if there are cabins available to select, there is no savings to booking a RESERVE.

They have started charging more to select a specific cabin than to reserve a guarantee cabin. And it's typically a bigger gap farther out from the sailing until at some point they remove that premium and the two prices are the same. In fact for my upcoming cruise on Nov 16th there was an extra cost to book the specific cabin I wanted at the time of booking (about 110 days out). It amounted to about $200 extra on a $1350 fare. Which is not a small markup, proportionally speaking. But a few weeks ago, just a few days after the final payment deadline the cost for both options was the same.

The screenshot below is for a mock booking for a Balcony cabin on a 16 day Hawaii cruise in February 2025. Maybe the difference is not a big deal to everyone but if you're working within a strict budget every dollar can count.

With that said, I would not book a guarantee cabin. Just pointing out that there is sometimes a savings in booking a guarantee cabin, sometimes it's can be several hundred dollars, and maybe some people find the savings worth the risk of letting Princess assign their cabin.

Screenshot_20240919_193910_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a4efe1a2ddd7a5abba949a60074b5c13.jpg

Edited by rheathslc

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I checked, out of curiosity, and it is still coming up with a strange, high, fare.

Doesn't seem to match any of the errors that would come to mind first.

Something must be going on with their system?

Do you have a Travel Agent, or a Princess Planner?

NOTE:  If I could find an acceptable cabin to select, I would not want to do a RESERVE and risk getting a location that I wouldn't like.   Usually, if there are cabins available to select, there is no savings to booking a RESERVE.  

No ta or pvp planner Just on a cruise now and checking for future cruises

4 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Thank you for checking. At the very least I know I didn’t misunderstand something during the mock booking.

• Like 1

There seem to be a lot of reports about Princess system having problems, too.

I would probably call directly, or find a good TA.

Sorry!  I spoke too soon about the fares for RESERVE GTY.  (ugghhhh)

They have been doing that for quite some time.  I completely let that slip.

And, you also have to pay attention to whether the fare is refundable or not.

I did 2 mock bookings, a 7 day and 4 days. The total prices differences shown for both bookings between the first screen and the details screen is $60pp/day higher.  So, by default, Princess just added $60/day package.  Tried it out and you will see the “higher” prices is 60/day/person.