Removing items from baggage

currently onboard carnival cruise on boarding 2 of our party had items removed from there suitcases without them being present only a note on bags when delivered to their cabins stating certain items had been removed is this allowed 

Depends what the items were that they removed. There are some things that are forbidden, like hair dryers and power boards with surge protectors, because of the risk of fire. Also any kind of alcohol.  There are clearly stated somewhere in the terms and conditions that you agreed to, when you booked the cruise.

• Like 2

@cruiser3775 is right.  If you try to get stuff on board that is not allowed you run the risk of it being removed.  All passengers should be aware of this and accept the likely confiscation of these items as just par for the course.  If you get away with it, well and good, if not just shrug your shoulders and say 'fair enough'.

• Like 3

Traditionally they will notify you to come to the naughty room to open the case in their presence and collect it, but that is rather time consuming for all involved. Might be worth checking the fine print in the booking T&C to see whether they are well within their rights of removing restricted items. It is acceptable for airline security to do this, so it would be reasonable to expect that ship security are entitled to do this as well.

If they felt that items were being intentionally disguised to be smuggled aboard, the person could be disembarked, so it would pay to tread lightly if anyone felt their personal rights were being infringed.

• Like 4

Confiscated items such as hair dryers, surge protectors, candles etc. are generally returned at the end of the voyage. I remember reading somewhere that someone once tried to bring a crossbow on board! (Pretty sure it was in the US). Seriously? The mind boggles.

I remember on one cruise I was held up because I had a bottle of Micellar water (make up remover) in my carry on. I was eventually allowed to keep it, but the supervisors had a conflab about it for a good ten minutes. Admittedly the bottle was over 100ml, but it sure as eggs wasn't vodka in disguise. These days I decant it into a 100ml travel bottle and haven't had any issues since.

Edited by ceeceeDee
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

It states hair dryers are generally allowed:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons, shavers, and other electrical devices, such as fans (no larger than 12" in diameter), power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed when used with proper caution.  However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned on debarkation morning.

10 hours ago, Beano53 said:

currently onboard carnival cruise on boarding 2 of our party had items removed from there suitcases without them being present only a note on bags when delivered to their cabins stating certain items had been removed is this allowed 

In general I would say yes absolutely. 

For your individual circumstances, as others have said, it would be covered in all those terms and conditions.

I was under the impression that passengers who's luggage shows something illegal at the xray checks are asked/paged to go to a certain location to open their bags and show the alleged item.

Opening cases without the owner being present seems rather harsh.

13 hours ago, Beano53 said:

Would help if you mentioned what the items were that was removed, it possibly would have been self evident.🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

i had a bottle of ginger cordial removed.  i take it everywhere to prevent nausea turning into sea sickness.  Took me awhile to get it back before anticipated rough seas.

That sort of item is best taken on board in hand luggage, where it can be inspected on boarding. We took ginger beer to Hawaii where we boarded a cruise, in our carry on bag. The Americans are more familiar with ginger ale but a brief discussion with the staff and all was well.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

i had a bottle of ginger cordial removed.  i take it everywhere to prevent nausea turning into sea sickness.  Took me awhile to get it back before anticipated rough seas.

If it was on Carnival or P&O, the cordial is indeed a banned item. Any drink in bottles is a banned item, including water.

Edited by arxcards

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

That sort of item is best taken on board in hand luggage, where it can be inspected on boarding. We took ginger beer to Hawaii where we boarded a cruise, in our carry on bag. The Americans are more familiar with ginger ale but a brief discussion with the staff and all was well.

If you were to take bottles of it in your hand luggage when boarding Carnival or P&O in Australia, it would be confiscated and disposed of. Still amazing that with Carnival you can take a bottle of wine aboard now, but not a bottle of water.

• Like 3

Just now, arxcards said:

If it was on Carnival or P&O, the cordial is indeed a banned item. Any liquid in bottles is a banned item, including water.

Not to mention my Micellar water mentioned previously. Probably a bit naive at the time, but it didn't occur to me that a make up item would raise eyebrows. At least it was in my carry on so I was on hand to discuss the issue and I was allowed on board without it being confiscated. (They probably thought that when it comes to 'beauty' products, I need all the help I can get.) 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Not to mention my Micellar water mentioned previously. Probably a bit naive at the time, but it didn't occur to me that a make up item would raise eyebrows. At least it was in my carry on so I was on hand to discuss the issue and I was allowed on board without it being confiscated. (They probably thought that when it comes to 'beauty' products, I need all the help I can get.) 🤣

Your Micellar in an appropriately labelled bottle is OK though, even though there is a distrust that Listerine bottles may contain Creme de Menthe, and shampoo bottles can contain Baileys etc. It is the same reason that they prohibit bottles of Iced "Scotch" Tea and Spring "Vodka" water.

The local cruise lines, particularly P&O, got bored with the charade. Not only were people trying to get some sly grog aboard, they were sharing their tips here, travel blogs & social media. Rum Runners were popular, and you could even buy replacement soft drink bottle caps on ebay to factory seal your home made premix. No sense of humour indeed, but people had been taking the mickey out of their rules for years.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Your Micellar in an appropriately labelled bottle is OK though, even though there is a distrust that Listerine bottles may contain Creme de Menthe, and shampoo bottles can contain Baileys etc. It is the same reason that the prohibit bottles of Iced "Scotch" Tea and Spring "Vodka" water.

The local cruise lines, particularly P&O, got bored with the charade. Not only were people trying to get some sly grog aboard, they were sharing their tips here, travel blogs & social media. Rum Runners were popular, and you could even buy replacement soft drink bottle caps on ebay to factory seal your home made premix. No sense of humour indeed, but people had been taking the mickey out of their rules for years.

These days I decant Micellar and mouthwash into 100ml travel bottles to be on the safe side. I'd rather not have a 'discussion' in the terminal eating into my onboard time! 😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Lots of things that happen on ships seem harsh if you're on the aggrieved side of it.  Imagine being put off at the next port because you have a disagreement with another passenger?  I know of two women who had an argument over the washing machine on a cruise, both were put off at the next port along with their travelling companions (husbands in this case).  Now that's harsh! Apparently, the Captain wasn't interested in 'who started it' or any of the details of the row, he just had them removed from his ship at the next possible opportunity.  Mind you, one woman did try to hit the other over the head with an iron, that might have had something to do with it.

So, the moral of the story is to behave yourselves and remember at all times that you're a guest on board and need to comply with all rules and conditions of carriage.

Edited by Bubbeh
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Lots of things that happen on ships seem harsh if you're on the aggrieved side of it.  Imagine being put off at the next port because you have a disagreement with another passenger?  I know of two women who had an argument over the washing machine on a cruise, both were put off at the next port along with their travelling companions (husbands in this case).  Now that's harsh! Apparently, the Captain wasn't interested in 'who started it' or any of the details of the row, he just had them removed from his ship at the next possible opportunity.  Mind you, one woman did try to hit the other over the head with an iron, that might have had something to do with it.

So, the moral of the story is to behave yourselves and remember at all times that you're a guest on board and need to comply with all rules and conditions of carriage.

Exactly. And for your own benefit, do your research and familiarise yourself with the T&Cs, then you'll know what to expect and what is expected of you. I have seen so many negative reviews where passengers have ranted about this, that and the other and how unfair it was etc. etc. etc. If they had done their due diligence beforehand they would have known that what they were complaining about was specifically covered on the cruise line's website and in the T&Cs.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, buchhalm said:

I was under the impression that passengers who's luggage shows something illegal at the xray checks are asked/paged to go to a certain location to open their bags and show the alleged item.

In the terms and conditions it says they suggest you don't  lock your bags... so I interpret this as they may go through my bags without me there.

I know that can strike conspiracy theories of being planted with evidence etc but I don't recall any drug runners in Australia boarding with illicit substances packed in their checked luggage.

I do recall a story in Hawaii I think? Will have to google. But I don't believe they pleaded it was a set up.

On 9/21/2024 at 8:23 AM, Beano53 said:

@Beano53 We all want to know what was confiscated?!

Please tell us! 

It would be a good learning experience  for future cruisers.

• Like 2