MDR & jeans

Hobar

I never wear jeans but not because I find them unattractive. I just don’t look good in them. It’s my body shape that’s the problem.  Now, some body shapes look really great in jeans! I wear chinos, whether they be Dockers/Eddie Bauer or whatever, and have been doing so in the MDR from time to time without feeling uncomfortable or getting comments.  I’m somewhat surprised that they might be considered unacceptable.  I always just thought of them as navy blue pants.I “ Live and learn “.😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dusko said:

I never wear jeans but not because I find them unattractive. I just don’t look good in them. It’s my body shape that’s the problem.  Now, some body shapes look really great in jeans! I wear chinos, whether they be Dockers/Eddie Bauer or whatever, and have been doing so in the MDR from time to time without feeling uncomfortable or getting comments.  I’m somewhat surprised that they might be considered unacceptable.  I always just thought of them as navy blue pants.I “ Live and learn “.😊

Chinos (and there are other terms for them--) have always been considered classic trousers to wear with a navy blazer. You can google this and find that it is true.    Dressier gray slacks can also be worn with blue blazers.  I don't know for sure, but I think the navy blazer may be a classic in the US, but not in the UK.  Mr. SLSD brings both high quality chinos and gray dress pants on cruises to wear with his navy blazer.  I do understand that this kind of dress may be a cultural thing in the US and not elsewhere.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, lincslady said:

The 'yes or no to jeans' argument divides people up into I would say three groups - those who obviously despise jeans at almost any time; those who like wearing them, and do so on casual and informal evenings, ideally when they are not blue denim but a more suitable shade, and those who want to wear them whenever they feel like it, even if it annoys others and results in being sent away from dining rooms.  As a member of the middle group, I find it hard to take either of the other groups very seriously.  Certainly endless posts about them will continue, for ever, I suspect.

Do not disagree whatsoever. DH and I will not be wearing jeans in MDR, or Solis. No need. 
That said, how it personally affects me/us……way less than the current included wine and champagne offerings. That affects the overall experience a whole lot more than someone seated at a table with nice cut ‘jeans’, a dress shirt, and possibly sports coat….

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Dusko said:

I just don’t look good in them. It’s my body shape that’s the problem.

I refuse to accept responsibility for ill-fitting clothing. It is always the clothing’s fault. Don't blame the genes, blame the jeans. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

The navy blazer was definitely the classic in the UK some years ago, but seems to have fallen out of fashion and is not often seen now.

I think you’re absolutely right and fashions change. Tuxedos, for example, used to be popular. I think I still have a blue blazer somewhere but because I wear predominantly blue pants I tend towards light coloured jackets. Haven’t worn a suit for probably 10 years. I found some ties in the closet last year and shook the dust off them. Thank goodness we have become more tolerant of individuality. As has been said, long as we’re not offending anyone all’s good. I certainly adhere to the SB dress code. 

• Like 3

The navy blazer was definitely the classic in the UK some years ago, but seems to have fallen out of fashion and is not often seen now.

It is still a classic in the US---and pretty. much always has been.  I'm not talking fashion forward--but classic.  I don't know anyone who does not own one.  

21 minutes ago, Dusko said:

I think you’re absolutely right and fashions change. Tuxedos, for example, used to be popular. I think I still have a blue blazer somewhere but because I wear predominantly blue pants I tend towards light coloured jackets. Haven’t worn a suit for probably 10 years. I found some ties in the closet last year and shook the dust off them. Thank goodness we have become more tolerant of individuality. As has been said, long as we’re not offending anyone all’s good. I certainly adhere to the SB dress code. 

Of course a navy blazer is not a dress suit.  And my husband would never wear a navy blazer with blue pants.  He does have a dark navy suit, but that is another ensemble.   And yes, Mr. SLSD also has other sports coats, but does not own (or want to own) a light colored one.  I have tried so hard to encourage him to own a classic (in the South) seersucker suit or jacket and he will not hear of it.  Probably because he did not care for the guys who wore them when he was in college.  He would look great in one.  

Edited by SLSD

It is just that you don't see them much out and about in the UK these days.  When a man wears a jacket - a 'casual' one rather than a suit, it is more likely to be tweed, or a plain fabric, like linen,  than a blazer.  I think most Brits. would agree with me on that one.  And now much more likely to be chino type trousers, not grey flannels which were almost de rigueur.

• Like 1

It is just that you don't see them much out and about in the UK these days.  When a man wears a jacket - a 'casual' one rather than a suit, it is more likely to be tweed, or a plain fabric, like linen,  than a blazer.  I think most Brits. would agree with me on that one.  And now much more likely to be chino type trousers, not grey flannels which were almost de rigueur.

As I said in a post above, it's a classic in the US and I don't know anything about fashion in the UK.  My husband has tweed sports coats, but as we live in Texas, he can only wear them in the dead of winter when it is cool enough.  The navy blazer works here for most of the year--and some are linen.  And both chinos (we call them khakis) and gray wool (lightweight wool) slacks are worn.  The gray are considered dressier.  This is a cultural thing--and our dress culture is not the same as yours.  I think that is where some of the dressing on cruise issues come up.  

To get back to the topic of the thread, jeans are so so common in the United States.  In some areas (not my city) they are worn most everywhere.  I have friends in Califorinia who wear them to parties and all kinds of other events.  I wear them for strictly casual wear--at our farm, around the house, running to the grocery store--but not to someone's house for dinner, to a white tablecloth type restaurant, or to a party--even a barbeque.  People who live in rural areas in the US might dress differently.  On SB cruises, I wear jeans on excursions most days.  I don't wear them in the evening except to Earth and Ocean IF I am also bundled up in several layers, including my coat.  If I was on a warm weather cruise, I would probably wear a dress to Earth and Ocean.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dusko said:

Haven’t worn a suit for probably 10 years. I found some ties in the closet last year and shook the dust off them.

Upon retirement I vowed to never wear a tie again, nor endure the indignity of the top shirt button. It's baffling that neck ties - a useless accessory that serves absolutely no useful function - have endured as normal, even required(!) dress for many people and situations. At least jeans have some appropriate utility and function. SMH...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Robisan said:

Upon retirement I vowed to never wear a tie again, nor endure the indignity of the top shirt button. It's baffling that neck ties - a useless accessory that serves absolutely no useful function - have endured as normal, even required(!) dress for many people and situations. At least jeans have some appropriate utility and function. SMH...

your views are similar to my college aged grandchildren-  you are young at heart

have fun!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

I do love that music. My parents’ generation so I grew up with it. And love the story of my mom cutting school to stand in line to get tickets to see Frank Sinatra in concert. 

• Like 3

Wondering if this a generational issue. Based on my observations, the anti-jeans posters are very, very frequent posters, which suggests to me that they have a lot of time on their hands and that is either because they are super rich and do not work (but one would think they have more interesting thing to do than obsess over Cruise Critic) or are retired and have lots of time to obsess over Cruse Critic. 

Edited by Latkebabka
Oops.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Latkebabka said:

Wondering if this a generational issue. Based on my observations, the anti-jeans posters are very, very frequent posters, which suggests to me that they have a lot of time on their hands and that is either because they are super rich and do not work (but one would think they have more interesting thing to do than obsess over Cruise Critic) or are retired and have lots of time to obsess over Cruse Critic. 

Yes. Disapproval of blue jeans, denim or dungarees can be generational and tied to cultural shifts in fashion, workwear, and social norms.

Historically, blue jeans were considered workwear for laborers, miners, and cowboys, and they symbolized practicality rather than fashion. Older generations, especially those born before the mid-20th century, may associate jeans with informal or lower-status clothing, not suitable for professional or formal settings. For example, people who grew up in the early to mid-20th century often adhered to stricter dress codes, where formal attire was expected in many social situations.

However, in the 1950s and 60s, jeans became popular among younger generations, partly due to their association with youth rebellion, counterculture, and Hollywood icons like James Dean and Marlon Brando. By the late 20th century, jeans had become a mainstream fashion staple, worn by people across all age groups and social classes.

For some older generations, though, this shift may still feel too informal, and they may continue to view jeans as inappropriate in certain settings. On the other hand, younger generations tend to embrace more casual and versatile fashion choices, including jeans for both work and leisure.

So, while personal preference plays a role, generational attitudes towards jeans can be shaped by cultural norms that were more prevalent during their formative years.

Whose sartorial observations are these? Attribution, please. Or maybe A.I.?

Anyway, I get that the 60s and 70s were the “jeans generation”, Marlon Brandon and all. How many passengers who were earning then are still the young at heart striving for that “Easy Rider”look? My, how quickly those years fly by.

Happy and healthy sailing!

On 10/16/2024 at 7:44 PM, SLSD said:

It is still a classic in the US---and pretty. much always has been.  I'm not talking fashion forward--but classic.  I don't know anyone who does not own one.  

My husband owns 2.  Always travels with one of them.  

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

As I have written on here before, it does seem to be the blue colour which many people find too informal for evening wear.  The above being an obvious explanation.   

9 hours ago, Hobar said:

Yes. Disapproval of blue jeans, denim or dungarees can be generational and tied to cultural shifts in fashion, workwear, and social norms.

Historically, blue jeans were considered workwear for laborers, miners, and cowboys, and they symbolized practicality rather than fashion. Older generations, especially those born before the mid-20th century, may associate jeans with informal or lower-status clothing, not suitable for professional or formal settings. For example, people who grew up in the early to mid-20th century often adhered to stricter dress codes, where formal attire was expected in many social situations.

However, in the 1950s and 60s, jeans became popular among younger generations, partly due to their association with youth rebellion, counterculture, and Hollywood icons like James Dean and Marlon Brando. By the late 20th century, jeans had become a mainstream fashion staple, worn by people across all age groups and social classes.

For some older generations, though, this shift may still feel too informal, and they may continue to view jeans as inappropriate in certain settings. On the other hand, younger generations tend to embrace more casual and versatile fashion choices, including jeans for both work and leisure.

So, while personal preference plays a role, generational attitudes towards jeans can be shaped by cultural norms that were more prevalent during their formative years.

This is a very interesting  cultural analysis (even if it might be AI).  I was born in 1952 (72 years old now which still shocks me).  Up until I was almost 20 years old, I had only a couple of pairs of jeans in my life--mostly purchased for the time  I was riding horseback across the Bob Marshall Wilderness area in Montana. (Yes, I do know that jeans are not proper riding pants.) Girls were not even allowed to wear trousers to school when I was growing up.  We dressed up to go downtown for shopping in my small town in East Texas.  Gloves were worn to church until the mid 1960s.  All this changed (at least for me) in about 1970 when I went to university.  For the next some years, blue jeans became the main mode of dress. There were years when I had to go and buy a dress if one was required.  So yes, things did change.  

We've seen so many changes in our societies and the concepts of appropriate dress are just one of them.  Personally, I can accept jeans in the MDR even though I personally would not wear them there.  And yes, some people can look very put together and chic in them.  You know who you are.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

My concern is the "slippery slope" issue.  At what point does the MDR no longer become an elegant restaurant in which to dine, but a Cracker Barrel on Saturday night? (BTW, I'm not dissing Cracker Barrel, it's just a point of reference.)

44 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

My concern is the "slippery slope" issue.  At what point does the MDR no longer become an elegant restaurant in which to dine, but a Cracker Barrel on Saturday night? (BTW, I'm not dissing Cracker Barrel, it's just a point of reference.)

The interesting thing to me is noticing the differences in mode of dress among passengers on different legs of a Seabourn cruise.  This last summer we had three different legs on our cruise--two of 7 days each and then a 14 day leg.  The second seven day leg had the "best dressed" or dressiest passengers.  So many of them dressed beautifully for dinner in the MDR.  I had not seen that in a while on a SB cruise.  

On 9/23/2024 at 3:10 AM, 2SailingNomads said:

Yet another example of the downgrade of Seabourn.  I remember having dinner in the pre-TK R2 with Eric & Jean Cass (for those of you who don't know they had the most nights ever - competition w/ Mrs. W for awhile - on Seabourn and were the nicest people I've ever met on any cruise, we were privileged to be friends and always invited to dine with them when our paths crossed) when they rolled out the ad Hoc night and Eddie - long time Seabourn crew - came into R2 wearing TK jeans and Jean asked him "Why?"  Back then no one ever thought to wear jeans.  Seabourn pax used to think dressing smartly was part of the luxury experience, now I guess not.  Slobs rule...  and no enforcement of the supposed dress code nor reserving of chairs. 

So you ignore the Seabourn dress code and apply your own standards. Seems to me you are the ones out of step.I think the comment describing fellow passengers as slobs is terribly rude. If its allowed, its allowed!

• Like 2