I've now sailed all four Queens, and my favourite is...

TheYoungCunarder

...Queen Mary 2, without a doubt.

But let me explain why below, and please share your own opinions too - everyone likes something different and I'd love to know yours! 

(I should say that my experience in based entirely in Britannia staterooms, no Club or Grills experience).

Queen Mary 2

QM2 is a big ship, and she's usually busy, but she doesn't ever feel busy. I've never had to step aside I to a doorway or squish into a corner on the stairs to let someone pass. I've never had staff back into me with trays or trolleys. I've never seen someone in a wheelchair or mobility scooter struggle to turn around, like they have on the others.

There's a lot of hate on CC for the King's Court, but is by far my favourite buffet on Cunard, far superior IMHO to both The Lido and Artisan's Court. There's far more choice - especially if you don't eat red meat - and more variety on the longer trips; I've never seen repeats in KC across 14 days that I have on other ships in 7. In addition, the dietary requirements section is actually separate, and there's no queueing for anything in the buffet, the burger grill, pizza station, salad, sushi... Some of those stations are entirely absent on the other ships, and don't get me started on the QA "salad bar".

The big winner for me on QM2 is the second theatre/planetarium, Illuminations. I know the RCT on QM2 can hold 1000+ and Illuminations is <400, but the additional venue for Insights talks, movies as a cinema, performances, and of course the planetarium shows makes all the difference on sea days. QV, QE, and QA all suffer from a lack of programming when there are daytime rehearsals for evening shows, leaving little to do in terms of enrichment outside of dance classes (though limited themselves on QA thanks to the tiny Queen's Room!) or deck sports. 

A close second is the actual Promenade Deck, complete with steamer loungers on QM2. I know both QE and QV also have this, but it being on deck 7 on QM2 rather than deck 3 makes a big difference, especially if you don't have a balcony stateroom to hide away in. RIP the Promenade Deck on QA. I don't know what they were thinking...

I also think the service on QM2 is far superior to the others; staff take the time to get to know you. That's not to say there aren't great individuals on the others - there are, of course - it's just that they're in a minority. I've never seen the wrong drink made in the Commodore, the wrong dish served in the Britannia, desserts and coffee forgotten at the end of the meal, and stateroom cleaning missed. 

Queen Anne 

I love the style of this new ship, subtle nods to Art Deco whilst being recognisably Cunard, and the staterooms are greatly improved. It's nice to see glass and tiles in the bathrooms finally, though I personally don't mind the older ones and shower curtains but can understand why people do. 

The Pavillion is a lovely space, especially with the roof open, but it's too busy. There's so little space to sit outside on QA (see the note above on the Promenade Deck), that the pool areas are packed. The Grill and Gelateria, as well as the Wellness Cafe, are good additions to this area too. 

The Sky Bar is a good option, but with limited seating again and the fact that almost 50% of the forward section is the only smoking area onboard ruins it as there's nothing stopping the smoke drifting over the rest of the deck if the winds are wrong. This is also further impacted by the early closure, by 18.30 most evenings, sail away or not. 

My favourite thing about QA, aside from the revamped staterooms, is the art! I love the traditional ship artwork on the others, but the modern and varied selection on QA is a fantastic and very welcome change. My personal favourites are the ink landscapes between 5-6 and the lino print between 3-4 midships. 

The other great thing about QA is the increased size of the Commodore Club. This does make it busier, and reduce the appeal of the Chart Room (which never appeared anywhere near full any time we walked past, especially as there's no live music offering here anymore), and even with the reduced menu now it is still one of my favourite places in the ship, especially with the larger, panoramic windows.

QA has the potential to be a great ship, but the service needs improvement. Our sommelier said it to our neighbours one night at dinner; "it's a new ship, there are still problems, of course. We're maybe 70% there". Enough said. 

Queen Elizabeth/Queen Victoria 

Combining these two as the ships are so similar in most respects... 

The Queens Room is in a much better place on these ships, it's nice to be able to walk through without the maze of mezzanine decks, and if course it's large enough to cope if half the ship turn up after dinner to watch the dancers (RIP QA Queen's Room). 

I also like the balcony in the RCT on these ships with the boxes at the sides. It's nice to be able to sneak in and see what the show is like without disturbing others, and getting table service in your box with the giant tassel if you're lucky.

The outdoor space on QE and QV is also great, especially the Games Deck at the top (beyond the croquet and shuffleboard). The giant chess/chequers board on QV never seemed to be in use, so provided a great lookout without the sunbeds to navigate. It's a fantastic place to stargaze from, too, without walls and lights in the way after dark. 

These ships, along with QA, seem a lot smaller than they are, and I think it's largely to do with the lower ceilings (outside of decks 2 and 3 that obviously have greater heights). Guests definitely feel more compacted on QA in comparison to QV and QE too thanks to the asymmetrical design of some areas, e.g. the Queens Room and Grand Lobby. 

I guess each of the Queens is different, and that's deliberate. You're not supposed to love them all equally. As a Platinum member having spent weeks/months on each of them, I certainly do, and it's still QM2 for me - my first Cunard love.

• Like 19

7 minutes ago, TheYoungCunarder said:

RIP the Promenade Deck on QA. I don't know what they were thinking...

HAL has three pinnacle-class ships (love them) and there is a lot of grumbling about the proms. It is my understanding that the design is to conform to current standards and requirements.

Thank you for your review! I can honestly say that I have never been on a ship I haven’t loved. There is so much to enjoy, beginning with the sea!

• Like 3

The PINNACLE design has more to do with adding an additional deck of balcony cabins, not "standards and requirements" btw.

But like that QM2 comes out on "top"... I still give the nod to QV as my fav. but so many elements of QM2 make her special: the high ceilings and the smell of the real teakwood decks being among my favourite. The others ships are plastic and in more ways than one.  QM2 feels like a liner and as Kipling said, "The liner is a lady."

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

The PINNACLE design has more to do with adding an additional deck of balcony cabins, not "standards and requirements" btw.

Thus the need for safety requirements. 🙃 But I believe it is more to do with the requirements for tender and lifeboat positions than additional decks. I suppose they could add a larger prom somewhere, or even take it away like they did on the royal-class Princess ships! 😲 But, hey, I am far from a naval architect, so what do I know.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

It definitely feels like this on QA, Oceanview rooms only seem to be available in the lower decks (possibly only on 1!?), and the placement of the lifeboats on the "prom" means there are far fewer obstructed view balcony rooms to worry about for Cunard, regardless of the obstructed views for everyone trying to have a walk. It just feels like a soulless walking track, unfortunately. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A complete deal breaker for me.... beyond anything else. I want to enjoy the sea on an ocean voyage: to see it, to feel it and smell it and not behind glass or in little ice tray cabin balconies. To walk around QM2's or the Vista's broad promenades is part of an ocean voyage and the promenade deck part of the ocean liner since its inception. I don't want to saddle around stuff in a a narrow, viewless industrial "gangway". No thanks. 

• Like 5

OP’s first reason about Illuminations being a separate venue is so subtly important - thank you. Now that the Planetarium is open again, even better. Prom Deck!!
I give too QM2 the edge and add that the public rooms are separate and discreet rooms, not just rooms you see as you walk down the corridor. I’m thinking of QR on Vistas. While the QR on the Vistas are beautiful, there is something more special about Mary when you walk into that space. Yes, G32 is a bit odd but sometimes that has more atmosphere than the Yacht Club. Never been in QA but not against going on QA if something nice pops up. I am not in the never QA camp. 

• Like 6

1st  QM2 for all the reasons given so far. 

2nd / 3rd  QV / QE, the order varying as we change from one to another.  At present QV tops the pair as QE has been off the radar with its itineraries in the last couple of years.  I still like these ships, but if comparing, prefer the extra space and grandeur of the QM2 liner.

4th, and way down the pecking order QA.  We will not sail on her again.  

• Like 3

Purely from a QG perspective - 

1. QE. Nice Grills facilities and light decor, not too big.

2. QV. Nice Grills facilities, but rather dark decor, followed very closely by

3. QA. Most of her is gorgeous, cabin very nice, nice deep balcony, lots of lovely outdoor space, particularly for Grills, but that Grills Lounge is dire, and she is rather long.

4. QM2. No separate shower, poor Grills Lounge, Terrace, Dining Room, and she is very long. Nonetheless, she is magnificent as a ship, and to cross the Atlantic rather than visit ports is nonpareil.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheYoungCunarder said:

outside of dance classes (though limited themselves on QA thanks to the tiny Queen's Room!)

QM2 is the only ship we are likely to sail on. As followers of a Mediterranean diet where everything is eaten in small quantities we find more than enough choice on the Britannia menus, but Club does give us that bit of extra choice at dinner.

Whether the buffet is good or bad is not important to us, other than we need access to it for muster.

Yet another comment on QA's "tiny" Queens Room. A couple of dance fanatics have now posted sixteen videos from that floor. I've watched them all, with lots of couples doing all sorts of dancing. The venue is not a problem for dancing.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, D&amp;N said:

Yet another comment on QA's "tiny" Queens Room. A couple of dance fanatics have now posted sixteen videos from that floor. I've watched them all, with lots of couples doing all sorts of dancing. The venue is not a problem for dancing.

Having spent a couple of weeks on QA, I can assure you that the dancers on board wholeheartedly disagree with your observations from videos. There were a lot of complaints being made, and Cunard were having to arrange impromptu classes elsewhere on the ship to try to accommodate them.

Dance "fanatics" or professionals with a lot of experience may be more suited to the challenge of the small, odd shaped floor, but a lot of dance regulars who sail to enjoy their dance time were not at all keen.

• Like 4

QE because something about her feels home and special to me, and I love the Vista design (I love HAL's Vistas, too), especially the thermal suite

QV close second because she has all the things I love about a Vista. Minus points for her distance from home, so long flight needed to join her cruises

QM2 VERY close third because of the grandeur and the wonders of a crossing on her. Minus points because I don't like her thermal suite and I hate Kings Court.

and there's a fourth ship, I think?

Seriously, QA is my fourth choice because I don't like the Pinnacle design (don't like HAL's Pinnacles, either). Lack of promenade, small Queens Room, much too small thermal suite. But plus points for Bright Lights.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NE John said:

Yes, G32 is a bit odd but sometimes that has more atmosphere than the Yacht Club.

Definitely - last few times in Yacht Club have been abysmal whereas always a more lively/party atmosphere in G32 even give the effort to get there! Role on November! 

• Like 3

Yep.... perfect example of how to totally ruin a venue.  We remember when you could not even get into the Yacht Club on QUEEN VICTORIA on an evening... it was packed and for good reason with an excellent band and vocalist and the best bartenders on the boat, too.  In the last 2-3 years, it has been denuded of live music and life thanks to a penny pinching alternation between karaoke, execrable "silent disco" and lifeless DJ "requests". Or... nothing. A few times it had some life as an refuge for ballroom dancers who discovered the new Cunard doesn't want dancing in... the ballroom. Otherwise, it's largely deserted.  But at least in May, it sure had great bartenders and the negronis were the one attraction. I love to know what the bar takings are now compared to when it was bustling with activity and life. 

Edited by WantedOnVoyage

2 hours ago, TheYoungCunarder said:

Having spent a couple of weeks on QA, I can assure you that the dancers on board wholeheartedly disagree with your observations from videos. There were a lot of complaints being made, and Cunard were having to arrange impromptu classes elsewhere on the ship to try to accommodate them.

Dance "fanatics" or professionals with a lot of experience may be more suited to the challenge of the small, odd shaped floor, but a lot of dance regulars who sail to enjoy their dance time were not at all keen.

Although I describe Tony & Maria as fanatics, they are just normal dancers. I think they're from Southern California and have what I believe to be a social style from there. I don't think I've seen anyone in their videos that could remotely be termed professionals. You see folk of a range of abilities dancing US style, UK (our preference) and European styles, disco, swing and others.

Everyone has their own opinions and some folk need corners to turn in and don't like that QA doesn't have a rectangular floor. Apart from Cunard T&M have posted lots of footage from Princess ships where most of the dancing is in the Atrium. Folk seem to manage fine there as well even though it's not a real dance floor.

If you google "Tony Maria (dance)" or the same search term in YouTube you can watch their stuff if you have the time and interest. I don't think their channel is money making. I don't remember seeing adverts during any of their content, and no travel agent links.

Other than one or two videos of pro exhibition dancing on Cunard, I challenge you to find a professional in their videos.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, D&amp;N said:

If you google "Tony Maria (dance)" or the same search term in YouTube you can watch their stuff if you have the time and interest.

Okay, I did as told and now I think I strongly dislike you. 😂

As to the rectangles, if a crescent shape is problematic for people, they can go ahead and make an imaginary rectangle within the crescent and Bob’s your uncle. What a strange thing to get hung up about! Especially if you know how to dance. I wonder if Cunard lobbed off the crescenty bits for them, would they be happier? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Okay, I did as told and now I think I strongly dislike you. 😂

As to the rectangles, if a crescent shape is problematic for people, they can go ahead and make an imaginary rectangle within the crescent and Bob’s your uncle. What a strange thing to get hung up about! Especially if you know how to dance. I wonder if Cunard lobbed off the crescenty bits for them, would they be happier? 

Thank you.

I now have an excuse, oops sorry, reason for my poor dancing if Bell Boy ever gets his act together and cruises QA again.

It's the  crescenty bits!!👍,,,😃

Edited by Victoria2
  • Haha 2

QM2 for me then the two Vistas. Liked QA on a number of points too, but the Grills stuck in the middle was the deal breaker for me, as not possible to walk round the whole ship on deck 11 or higher deck, only on the “running track” on deck 3 - which was also an irritation as correctly walked clockwise as per signs and everyone else was walking the opposite (as per other Queens). 

• Like 3

I like all four ships and don't have any serious issues with any of them. When booking future Cunard cruises, the ship being booked will be of interest only and certainly not a determining factor. That said, I'd just make a few comments about each ship.

Queen Mary 2 

I have only been on her once (although have a future cruise booked) but I like the real wood decking. The buffet (which I only use occasionally) is a little sad compared to QV,QE,QA due to the poor views from the windows due to the location. The Britannia restaurant is perhaps the best looking of all the ships. The bathrooms are a bit dated now, but functional. Showers aren't as small as QV/QE.

Queen Anne

I think you can tell that the ship is a little more crowded than QE/QV (and certainly more than QM2) and there seem to be a number of locations where two way traffic becomes difficult if you aren't in something approaching single file. The bathrooms are a vast improvement and well worth sacrificing cabin space for. The outdoor deck areas aren't as nice as the other ships, the promenade deck certainly suffices for an 'outdoor walk', but it is disappointing that the lifeboats are in the way. On the top decks, it should be possible for non-Grills passengers to walk from end to end without going back inside.

Queen Elizabeth / Queen Victoria

They are two very similar ships, although I slightly prefer the darker wood effect on QV. Bathrooms are small but adequate. QV is my favourite ship and I've had many happy memories on her. 

• Like 3