Passport Validity Short 4 days of 6 month Rule

webecruzin2

We are on a closed loop sailing from San Juan leaving in 4 weeks. I just realized my passport expires 4 days short of the "must be valid 6 months from last sail date" rule.    We leave in 4 weeks
I've called X 3 times.  First rep said I must get a new passport.  2nd rep said my passport is fine if it's closed loop from US port.
3rd rep said I'm good and to bring my Govt. issued birth certificate as well.  
The only port that we're visiting that I found that also has the 6 month rule is Antigua.  
My passport is valid for 6 months and 1 day after we stop there. 
Has anyone had this issue?   
I'm nervous about getting an expedited passport renewal this late in the game as last time they misplaced it and I received it back in 
the nick of time.
Would appreciate it if anyone else has personal experience with the 6 month rule.
Did they deny boarding?  Did they not even mention it at checkin? Did you bring a birth certificate? 
Thanks in advance..  

Edited by webecruzin2

It is a closed loop cruise from a US port.  You don’t need a passport.  You will be good.  I’ve never known Antigua to require a passport.  Only places that do are Martinique and Guadeloupe.  And Panama.  EM

• Like 2

If i were you, i would take the passport you have, along with birth certificates as backup in case of any issues, and enjoy the cruise. It’s likely no one objects, but, even if they do, the birth certificates are also valid. Send the passport to renew as soon as you return.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, webecruzin2 said:

We are on a closed loop sailing from San Juan leaving in 4 weeks. I just realized my passport expires 4 days short of the "must be valid 6 months from last sail date" rule.    We leave in 4 weeks
I've called X 3 times.  First rep said I must get a new passport.  2nd rep said my passport is fine if it's closed loop from US port.
3rd rep said I'm good and to bring my Govt. issued birth certificate as well.  
The only port that we're visiting that I found that also has the 6 month rule is Antigua.  
My passport is valid for 6 months and 1 day after we stop there. 
Has anyone had this issue?   
I'm nervous about getting an expedited passport renewal this late in the game as last time they misplaced it and I received it back in 
the nick of time.
Would appreciate it if anyone else has personal experience with the 6 month rule.
Did they deny boarding?  Did they not even mention it at checkin? Did you bring a birth certificate? 
Thanks in advance..  

You will not need it in Antigua coming off the ship.   Or anywhere on your cruise.  You still have a valid passport no matter if it expires in 6 months by the way.  FYI the US just made the passport renewal process easier with Online Renewal.  Do this after your cruise.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew-online.html

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

If i were you, i would take the passport you have, along with birth certificates as backup in case of any issues, and enjoy the cruise. It’s likely no one objects, but, even if they do, the birth certificates are also valid. Send the passport to renew as soon as you return.

Yes will do, I have my original State issue birth certificate and passport already packed.

26 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

You will not need it in Antigua coming off the ship.   Or anywhere on your cruise.  You still have a valid passport no matter if it expires in 6 months by the way.  FYI the US just made the passport renewal process easier with Online Renewal.  Do this after your cruise.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew-online.html

Thanks, I saw the online renewal option and almost did that but one of the requirements is not traveling for at least 8 weeks. I'll certainly do it as soon as we get back!

59 minutes ago, webecruzin2 said:

Thanks, I saw the online renewal option and almost did that but one of the requirements is not traveling for at least 8 weeks. I'll certainly do it as soon as we get back!

We just got back (20 September) from an Alaska cruise. Left out of Seattle and returned to Vancouver BC. Our passports will expire 25 January 2025. No issues still using them for that cruise. Completed the passport renewal process yesterday. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, doghog said:

We just got back (20 September) from an Alaska cruise. Left out of Seattle and returned to Vancouver BC. Our passports will expire 25 January 2025. No issues still using them for that cruise. Completed the passport renewal process yesterday. 

It varies by country.

Some countries are 6 months.

Some countries are 3 months or even 1 month.

In your example, Canada has no time requirement except valid on day of entry for US travelers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

It varies by country.

Some countries are 6 months.

Some countries are 3 months or even 1 month.

In your example, Canada has no time requirement except valid on day of entry for US travelers.

That's right. Just passing along our latest experience. Even though Celebrity was saying 6 months.