Arcadia - gastro outbreak

Megabear2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

This has just popped up on one of my cruise site links:

https://www.travelgossip.co.uk/latestnews/dozens-fall-sick-during-month-long-po-cruises-voyage/

Oh dear, P&O seem to be having a difficult time of it recently in terms of bad press etc, hopefully all those who've fell ill will recover soon.

Always easy for the press to blame the cruiseline, in reality it's most likely to have been brought on by someone failing to disclose symptoms.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, S1971 said:

Oh dear, P&O seem to be having a difficult time of it recently in terms of bad press etc, hopefully all those who've fell ill will recover soon.

Always easy for the press to blame the cruiseline, in reality it's most likely to have been brought on by someone failing to disclose symptoms.

Maybe including the crew!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Same thing on Ventura  https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/canary-islands-cruise-norovirus-b2591421.html

Also, MSC, Celebrity.   Not just P&O

That article is for the May outbreak though. The Arcadia situation is as at today unfortunately, not very nice for the people whohave fallen ill.

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

This has just popped up on one of my cruise site links:

https://www.travelgossip.co.uk/latestnews/dozens-fall-sick-during-month-long-po-cruises-voyage/

The cover all for P&O seems to be, we have swiftly implemented approved proven and enhanced sanitisation protocols.

They need to take a step back, these do not appear to work!

How many of the cruises undertaken this year by the fleet, been blighted by sickness

How many of there customers have become sick?

Me the last twice, and due on Arcadia next week,

Corralling guests outside the eating venues does not help.

Just saying!

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

The cover all for P&O seems to be, we have swiftly implemented approved proven and enhanced sanitisation protocols.

I guess they can only do what they can to try and contain the outbreak.

Isolation, rigourous cleaning, ensure hand washing, eliminate self service, then hope for the best.

I'm no advocate for P&O, but they are doing exactly what all other lines do.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

How many of the cruises undertaken this year by the fleet, been blighted by sickness

How many of there customers have become sick?

Me the last twice, and due on Arcadia next week,

Corralling guests outside the eating venues does not help.

Just saying!

Can you think of anything better to do than taking the ship out of service everytime it happens. What ever companies do its never going to get rid of it so to speak.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 1

Just now, S1971 said:

I guess they can only do what they can to try and contain the outbreak.

Isolation, rigourous cleaning, ensure hand washing, eliminate self service, then hope for the best.

I'm no advocate for P&O, but they are doing exactly what all other lines do.

Every blessed outbreak, accident ,cancellation ..Anything they, meaning Road authority, cruise company, airline restaurant..Anybody, they roll out the same old tired phrase.....your safety is our number one priority...change the record and fix things.🤬

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Every blessed outbreak, accident ,cancellation ..Anything they, meaning Road authority, cruise company, airline restaurant..Anybody, they roll out the same old tired phrase.....your safety is our number one priority...change the record and fix things.🤬

If you know how too fix it, I wouldn't mind betting you'd be rich.

Edited by S1971
  • Haha 1

On Arcadia at present.  DH up and down all last night, so he is now isolated.  Managed to get a trip refunded for him for tomorrow, but not for me, so planning to go.  Lots of things I can say, but late so need a sleep and 24 hrs wifi runs out early tomorrow morning.  DH totally obsessive about washing hands etc. My micro biology background makes me suspects food at fault. No mention that it is norovirus, gastro intestinal illness is what is mentioned.  I reported his illness to med centre and asked nurse if it is known whether it is likely to be foodborne or airborne, (for instance), and she said it is difficult to tell, so I do not believe they have identified the bug.

Service incredibly bad as very short staffed.  Been told by a one strip senior in the restaurant that the reason is because certain nationalities of crew have great problems getting visas for USA, which of course were needed.  Will not help that two did a bunk in NY this year as is not unusual.......  

We have been on since 27th Aug for the previous one week cruise and reckon they were better staffed then.  There was a very big crew turnaround on 3rd Sept, at the start of this cruise.  Will come back at a later date.  Crew working hard, not their fault.

Edited by tring
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

He is much better now thanks, but still isolated until tomorrow.  I am fine, but just got up at 6.20 for the trip and I do not normally do earlies......  Managing though so hopefully be ok.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As well as the usual measures of hand washing and hand gel, I try to avoid any food that you have to eat with your hands, so that if my hands have just been in contact with an insufficiently cleaned glass or cutlery handle or whatever the virus won't get transferred via my hands to what I'm eating. So no toast or croissant at breakfast or roll with my dinner, which for me is no great loss. I also avoid the buffet whenever possible, which since I'm not a fan of buffets anyway is no problem.

• Like 1

@tring sorrusorry to hear OH is poorly but on the road to recovery.

We used to have a hotel and a coach party arrived with one member feeling poorly. He didn't have anything to eat in the hotel the evening of arrival but still claimed food poisioning! Over the next couple of days other members of the coach party became unwell. So it was obviously something that they had picked up at a place then had stopped en route and bought in with them, but we got the blame.

Do you think that these gastro/ noro " bugs" are more prevalent on the older ships than the new ships...just thinking that the older ships with older plumbing/ clingy shower curtains etc are maybe more susceptible 

We're currently on Arcadia and are fine so far.

We tend to eat in the buffet, but not anything with our fingers.

First time on her and the service is fine in our opinion.

Passengers moaning to staff about hand washing, some still not complying, so it's not surprising some are ill.

• Like 2

As they do not know whether it is noro or a foodborne bug, there is very little they can do.  As said before, as it is very common in hospitals, it can't be anything to do with people's hygiene.  spent 6 days in hospital after breaking my hip.  Hygiene was everything and they still had to move a lady out of our ward because of a tummy bug.

• Like 1