COVID After Cruise

Murray's Pop

My experience (and only my opinions/theories/observations).  I have been on 10 cruises with a total of 98 days since cruising resumed (2020).  Only caught covid once and it was on a ship (well technically on a bus).  Have been "exposed" to several active covid family members, but never caught it from them.  

I am positive my covid case was from a very long excursion day on a bus.  Symptoms showed up within a few days.  Finally decided it wasn't asthma and confirmed by Medical Center and isolated.  I was wearing a mask for most of the time when out and about the ship.  I felt falsely secure since the weather was nice and I was outdoors.  

In my opinion:  Today's covid is much more contagious and less lethal.  But incubation time is just a few days.

If you get covid:

You are on a 7 day cruise, you will probably test positive when you get home.

You are on a 14 day cruise, you will probably test positive while still on your cruise.

I was recently told (after my sister brought covid to my house after a family graduation in another state) that all she had to do was wear a mask while testing positive and as long as she had a fever (ref:  Kaiser).  No other restrictions as long as she wore a mask.  

Isolate for 5 days from onset of symptoms plus fever free for 24 hours.  

Covid is not just from a cruise.  Air travel can be a source.  Somebody has got to bring it on the ship with them.

I thought I could avoid getting it since I am vaccinated to the max and still wear a mask when in crowds or around people I don't know well.  I am in the minority.  But the two states I am in have higher than average cases of covid.  You will see a lot more people wearing masks in Honolulu.

I am not about to stop cruising or traveling.  I am just cautious and proactive.  My case was very mild.  Some are not as fortunate.  I believe Covid is hear to stay.  

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’ve never heard of those tablets. Is there a certain brand that you prefer? I’m going to bring a small pharmacy with me and plenty of test kits. I hope I don’t get sick again, but I don’t want to stop cruising. 

Lots of generics on the market. If you prefer a brand, I suggest Robitussin Long-Acting CoughGels.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, coldweather said:

Yup COVID is alive and well on the ships. Had it early summer on ship in Alaska. Best friend had it later this summer on a ship in Alaska  

My suggestion is to bring cough and cold supplies with you just just in case.  Our ship was sold out of all cough and cold medicine.  It was also obvious that many passengers were coughing.  By the end of the cruise is was obvious some people were sick. 

I would consider bringing a large bag of cough drops and a bottle of cough medicine. I would also bring a bandana or large handkerchief. It takes no space and you would have something to help cover your cough.  Most of the people coughing were holding their fist about 6 inches from their mouth and coughing into their fist.  Not effective at all. 

When DW had a coughing problem and we were in the airport in Reykjavik after a cruise, I found it difficult to find cough drops. Finally did find one airport shop selling them, and after seeing the price in dollars after getting our credit card bill, I can say they were incredibly overpriced. Good advice to bring cough drops.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’ve never heard of those tablets. Is there a certain brand that you prefer? I’m going to bring a small pharmacy with me and plenty of test kits. I hope I don’t get sick again, but I don’t want to stop cruising. 

This is what I just ordered.  I used to get them at Sam’s Club but they didn’t have them when I checked last week.

https://a.co/d/2WDqdqd 

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Thanks 1

My only bout with Covid was 2 years ago, symptoms started less than 48 hours after returning home from Mexico, so likely contracted it down there. This was when you still had to be tested and show a negative result 24 hours before getting on a plane back to the US, so I was lucky. I was fully vaxxed and felt lousy for about a day, with a cough for about 3 days. I still get my booster shots when they become available - just did the latest one along with my flu shot. As far as travel is concerned, I'm not changing my plans. And no masks unless specifically required by law, I'm done with all that.

40 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you!

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

This is what I just ordered.  I used to get them at Sam’s Club but they didn’t have them when I checked last week.

https://a.co/d/2WDqdqd 

Not sure if you need guiafenesin, which is an expectorant, along with the dextromethorphan, but you can order it as a single entity.

13 minutes ago, crawford said:

Not sure if you need guiafenesin, which is an expectorant, along with the dextromethorphan, but you can order it as a single entity.

I do have both, but for our upcoming cruise, I’m packing the combination. If I have a cough bad enough to need dextromethorphan, I usually need an expectorant also. 

• Like 1