COVID After Cruise

Murray's Pop

5 hours ago, Murray's Pop said:

We have done 3 post COVID cruises and our daughter has done one.  ALL of us have tested positive for COVID after returning from these cruises.  No symptoms at all during the cruise but within 2-3 days after getting back had symptoms, took test and was positive.  Fortunately all cases were very mild with no complications.  

I was just wondering, how often is this occurring generally.  Have we just been "unlucky" or is this happening often.   

I've done at least a dozen cruises since the restart (not all on Princess).  I've only tested positive for COVID-19 once after a cruise.  I suspect I got it last year sometime, but didn't test to confirm it.  That one was a long way away from any of my cruises.

I suspect I've been a little lucky in this regard and you've been UNlucky.  I'm glad all your cases so far have been mild and hope it continues. 🙏

P.S.  Thanks everyone for the stories and memories.

I think it’s much easier to avoid colds, flu and of course norovirus on a cruise because those are more likely spread by touch. Which with good hand washing can pretty much avoid it. I’ve never got those illnesses while cruising.

With Covid, it’s an airborne virus so much harder to avoid.
Since the restart of cruising, I’ve been on 6 cruises and one land vacation to Hawaii. I got Covid once after my Princess 10 day cruise. 

• Like 2

you can take all the precautions you like such as wearing masks, hand sanitising...etc... but if other passengers are going to go to the theatre, buffet, bars, pool area while they are sick / unwell then their germs will spread to others... simple as that.

there are probably some people on cruise ships who think that because they've paid thousands of $ for their cruise, they're not going to let a little thing like covid get in the way of their enjoyment.

Reading this thread so far you would think that EVERYONE catches COVID ALL THE TIME on a cruise ship. This is not true.

We've been on 14 cruises since 2021 and 142 days. Had to post this - NO COVID for either of us. We do get the vaccines but do not go out of our way wearing masks or sanitizing everything in sight. We just live our lives and don't worry about it.

Edited by beg3yrs

49 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

you can take all the precautions you like such as wearing masks, hand sanitising...etc... but if other passengers are going to go to the theatre, buffet, bars, pool area while they are sick / unwell then their germs will spread to others... simple as that.

there are probably some people on cruise ships who think that because they've paid thousands of $ for their cruise, they're not going to let a little thing like covid get in the way of their enjoyment.

People can be sick and not know it and show no symptoms but spread it. Thats what makes Covid so different, 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

People can be sick and not know it and show no symptoms but spread it. Thats what makes Covid so different, 

Just as I mentioned, the day we got home I made us a Shrimp Louie salad with a really flavorful homemade dressing.  It wasn’t until I couldn’t taste a thing I was eating that I realized I had Covid.  I just hope I didn’t spread it to anyone else while not knowing I had it.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

yes this is true..... I'm mainly talking about the people who are coughing / sneezing and clearly unwell.

these people should use common sense and stay in their stateroom until they feel well again

6 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just as I mentioned, the day we got home I made us a Shrimp Louie salad with a really flavorful homemade dressing.  It wasn’t until I couldn’t taste a thing I was eating that I realized I had Covid.  I just hope I didn’t spread it to anyone else while not knowing I had it.  

You could have but if you don’t know, you don’t know.
When I got it after my cruise, same day I got home, I felt fine except I had to keep clearing my throat.

I  was returning to work the next day so I thought I would take a test just to be safe and it came up positive right away. I felt fine the entire time I was quarantining at home. I’m sure I unknowingly spread it around too on the last days of my cruise.

1 minute ago, Muffinz said:

yes this is true..... I'm mainly talking about the people who are coughing / sneezing and clearly unwell.

these people should use common sense and stay in their stateroom until they feel well again

Again though, coughing & sneezing are not necessarily an indicator of being sick. I know one of my family members medication they took made them cough all the time. 
If people are really sick, of course they should stay away from others. I understand that’s what you’re saying.

26 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I know one of my family members medication they took made them cough all the time. 

That would be me, also.  One of my medications has a dry cough side effect.  Yes, people look at me when I cough now.  Sorry, I can't help it.  If I were having other symptoms (runny nose, loss of taste, whatever) I would stay in my stateroom, otherwise I'm out and about.

• Like 1