Thanksgiving Dinner on Ship

Cruisedreamer1

Has anyone booked a cruise during the Thanksgiving holiday and how was the Thanksgiving dinner? Does the ship have all of the dining venues with the same holiday meal or just the main dining room? I'm a traditionalist and love the typical holiday meal. Our adult kids prefer either steak or tacos so we are taking a holiday cruise! We will be on the Marina.

Edited by Cruisedreamer1
more information

Which one, the Canadian one or the US one? I don’t have a specific answer. Remember, cruise lines accommodate to an international audience. I don’t think they will celebrate every national or every religious holiday out there. 

Edited by Huib

We were also on Vista for Thanksgiving last year. They don't make a big deal out of it, but they did have a turkey dinner in the Grand Dining Room as one of the entree options. That's what I had and it was nice. But they also had turkey and all the trimmings in the buffet, which I think would have been the best way to indulge in Thanksgiving food. I plan to eat my Thanksgiving dinner in Marina's buffet this year. On Vista, in both the buffet and main dining room, they had the usual assortment of things for people who don't want traditional Thanksgiving dishes.  

57 minutes ago, Huib said:

I don’t think they will celebrate every national or every religious holiday out there. 

No but it's an American ship, catering to American tastes and expectations. Those of us from elsewhere are not a consideration. 

I've been on an O cruise several times on a US Thanksgiving Day.  I think they usually had a traditional turkey dinner in both the dining room and TC but I could go the rest of my life without a turkey dinner.  Give me the good stuff.  And I don't have to listen to my brother.  What a great Thanksgiving.  That's why we like the repositioning cruises in the fall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FolsomMike said:

Not to hijack the thread but can anyone comment on Christmas dinner on the ship..either the main dining room or the specialty restaurants?

This was on Riviera for Christmas 2021 in the Terrace Cafe.  I imagine they had the Turkey in MDR also.

20211225_185016_Original.jpeg

20211225_190059_Original.jpeg

Edited by pilgrimage
  • Thanks 1

We are on the Marina cruise as well this year and everything I have read agrees with the above, turkey available in all venues.  We did not plan on using a specialty reservation for that night and figured either the GDR or Terrace.  Might just make a game time decision.  My wife is not a huge turkey fan so I also thought I might check if polo has an extra opening that night so she can eat steak while I eat turkey, everyone's happy.

I wonder if the GDR Or Terrace will also have turkey for lunch.  Would make it more like our traditional Thanksgiving where we eat closer to 3 then snack on leftovers in the evening around watching football and napping.😃

Edited by Woofa

23 minutes ago, ORV said:

Don't they have the carved turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy every embarkation day? 

On our Christmas cruise they didn't have it on the dinner buffet for embarkation day (roasted pork rack instead).  Maybe they skip the tradition if the holiday happens later in the cruise.  That cruise embarked on 12/23, so that would have been pretty soon to turn around and have turkey again on 12/25.

Thanksgiving in the Grand Dining Room in 2017 on Nautica was a full house and chaotic. Requests for things such as dark meat or extra stuffing could not be accommodated. Staff was totally overwhelmed.

OTOH, Jacques in 2019 was lovely but think we substituted the roast chicken for turkey which was perfectly acceptable.

Maybe this year will try Terrace where, hopefully, we will find dark meat turkey. Many good options no matter what.

3 hours ago, islabahia said:

We’re on Marina over Thanksgiving and have decided to either go to Terrace Cafe or just order room service.  I make a large turkey every year for the 2 of us and we enjoy leftover turkey all year.  

I love my turkey croquettes.  

On 9/28/2024 at 12:53 PM, Cruisedreamer1 said:

Has anyone booked a cruise during the Thanksgiving holiday and how was the Thanksgiving dinner? Does the ship have all of the dining venues with the same holiday meal or just the main dining room? I'm a traditionalist and love the typical holiday meal. Our adult kids prefer either steak or tacos so we are taking a holiday cruise! We will be on the Marina.

We were aboard Regatta last Thanksgiving.  The GDR had a turkey dinner on the menu along with the usual types of things that they serve at dinner.  I don't recall what TC had.  The specialties had their usual menus.  I recall being a bit disappointed with the GDR's version of a Thanksgiving dinner though it was tasty.  It was just quite a bit different than what I think of as a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  Regardless, we certainly didn't go hungry.  It was pretty low key in terms of the observance.