MAS details and thoughts

jds2001

2 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I figured it was too good to be true.  I'm still trying to figure out why that is even offered.  Why would anyone take an $89 package when they can get the identical package for $30?  I sorta understood before, because it became the basis for the bar "gratuity."

I think if you book a Sail Away cabin (I think that’s what it’s called), which would be the cheapest cabin available, it didn’t qualify for Free At Sea.  If you wanted the drinks package you’d have to pay full price for it.  That’s the only situation I can think of for buying it as a separate item.

• Like 1

looked at my June booking again, and my FAS+ options are removed from my cruise summary, although my price hasn't been adjusted yet.  I guess that will happen long before final payment.  I just mock booked the same cruise, and with more at sea it would cost $80 more for the package vs FAS.  significant increase in the dining, going from $11.80 to $40

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, stinkyharriet said:

I think if you book a Sail Away cabin (I think that’s what it’s called), which would be the cheapest cabin available, it didn’t qualify for Free At Sea.

correct.

and sailaway cabins don't qualify for MAS, either.

same <- - - -> same.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, jmele999 said:

Also people might skip the dining package - $120 for two people is too much compared to what it was before.  

I agree.  We don't do the drinks package, but at current prices the extra FAS meals were fine, although we sometimes struggled to fit them all in (in addition to Latitudes) on a port intensive cruise.

We can just buy a couple of extra meals at the (now much lower) fixed price using OBC instead.(if we can get in the restaurant).

Making the Chinese a speciality restaurant might backfire, the quality of the entrees is poor, ok for a quick snack if free but not worth paying for, 

For us, the halving of internet time on longer cruises, and the large increase in the prepaid meal charges, makes this Less at Sea.  There isn't any More for anything we use. 

• Like 2

Same for me.  All FAS+ options are gone but they did not reduce my amount owing ( I added FAS+ via chat so did not pre-pay).  I did pay via credit card for a 4 specialty dining package and this is also gone. Since my sailing isn't until 2026 will wait for everything to die down before calling.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Depends on what you're drinking.  I get double Hennessey xo and macallan, which cost $100.  The $400 cost of FAS+ was a bargain in comparison.  This is for my 10 day cruise next year 

I agree, it does depend what you're drinking. I hate cognac and Scotch, I've had them and they taste gross (to me, anyway). So that kind of drink wouldn't apply to me in the first place. It would be interesting to see what the average NCL cruiser drinks and then calculate whether the sunsetting of the FAS+ and its replacement by MAS will benefit him/her, or not. I never was interested in FAS+ to begin with, though.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, macewank said:

Except this is objectively incorrect.  NCL has already stated that anyone who has FAS on a 2025+ sailing is getting MAS instead (with no additional cost).

The hangup is FAS+, which if they hadn't canceled, means there would be the same exact 2 package situation that exists today.

The bartenders look at your card and see letters and know what is and isn't included.  It's not difficult.

Simple tasks can become difficult when there is a crowd being served.

NCL stated that anyone with FAS is getting the drink portion of MAS, not all of MAS.

For example, I'm getting MAS drinks but not MAS for specialty.

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Simple tasks can become difficult when there is a crowd being served.

NCL stated that anyone with FAS is getting the drink portion of MAS, not all of MAS.

For example, I'm getting MAS drinks but not MAS for specialty.

Drinks are what you were talking about in the post I responded to and were the focus of my response. Bartenders don't need to know how many Internet minutes, excursion credits, or dining packages I have.

My point stands. It was 2 packages before, and it could easily be 2 packages moving forward. Your argument about a 3rd package and bartenders having trouble is moot. It never would've been 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macewank said:

Drinks are what you were talking about in the post I responded to and were the focus of my response. Bartenders don't need to know how many Internet minutes, excursion credits, or dining packages I have.

My point stands. It was 2 packages before, and it could easily be 2 packages moving forward. Your argument about a 3rd package and bartenders having trouble is moot. It never would've been 3.

It would have been three if there were still FAS, FAS+, and MAS which was my point.  

So far, there hasn't been sufficient information released to know whether you've been harmed or not.  You need to see the price lists, etc., you maybe better off.

BTW, have  you ever tended bar?

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

It would have been three if there were still FAS, FAS+, and MAS which was my point.  

So far, there hasn't been sufficient information released to know whether you've been harmed or not.  You need to see the price lists, etc., you maybe better off.

BTW, have  you ever tended bar?

Dude I get that you weren't a FAS+ consumer, but it's sort of silly that you keep responding to people bothered by this trying to apply your own experience to theirs. "you don't know if you've been harmed or not" is factually inaccurate. We have the numbers.

The problem with FAS+ being sunset has to do with all of the extra perks. There is tangible harm / loss here. This harm/loss *could* be increased depending on what the new bar menu looks like, but it's ultimately irrelevant. The issues extend beyond the bar package. I already outlined it above, but I'll do it again for you, with an actual example for my upcoming TA in December (the same exact math applies for next year too).

FAS+ - $42/day -- I can no longer buy this.

Internet Unlimited Upgrade for 12 days: $214.88 ($17.91/day)

Starbucks package: 16.50/day

2 Dining credits: $120 ($60 value each, $10/day)

Fresh juice and bottled water: nonexistent with current packages. A la carte only.

Total non FAS+ spend WITHOUT BAR: $44.41/day

Now. Do I need to buy all of that stuff? Maybe not. But you're pretending like there's some equation here where FAS+ going away might be a better deal, and that's simply inaccurate. We have the numbers to show as much. It's gonna cost me $2 extra per day, and that's before I order a $6 bottle of Sam Pellegrino or Aqua Panna with dinner/drinks, or ask for fresh squeezed OJ in my mimosa (I don't even know what this costs)

Yes I've bartended. Yes it gets hectic. These folks are incredibly good at their job and trained to deal with it. Mistakes happen on occasion, but pretending like dealing with 2 packages as they have for....however long, is some insurmountable ask moving forward is nonsense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Eno said:

Same for me.  All FAS+ options are gone but they did not reduce my amount owing ( I added FAS+ via chat so did not pre-pay).  I did pay via credit card for a 4 specialty dining package and this is also gone. Since my sailing isn't until 2026 will wait for everything to die down before calling.

With all the changes was starting to worry that what I paid for would get lost in the shuffle. My credit card had been charged so I broke down and called - they must have a ton of staff on for all the calls they were expecting as was talking with an agent within 2 mins.  He said that during these changes things aren't showing up that are there right now so he sent me an amenity confirmation showing the 4 meal dining package for my daughter.  It also listed the FAS+ items.  He said that the FAS+ drink package will be removed as won't exist in 2026 and the amount will be removed from my invoice.  The dining, WIF and shore excursion credit will stay.  I will have to see how much is actually removed as purchased as the FAS+ package.  Was happy and he seemed knowledgeable - well until he told me that I will be moved to the MAS+ beverage package that is better than the FAS+ beverage package.  I assume he meant MAS vs FAS but didn't push it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, macewank said:

Dude I get that you weren't a FAS+ consumer, but it's sort of silly that you keep responding to people bothered by this trying to apply your own experience to theirs. "you don't know if you've been harmed or not" is factually inaccurate. We have the numbers.

The problem with FAS+ being sunset has to do with all of the extra perks. There is tangible harm / loss here. This harm/loss *could* be increased depending on what the new bar menu looks like, but it's ultimately irrelevant. The issues extend beyond the bar package. I already outlined it above, but I'll do it again for you, with an actual example for my upcoming TA in December (the same exact math applies for next year too).

FAS+ - $42/day -- I can no longer buy this.

Internet Unlimited Upgrade for 12 days: $214.88 ($17.91/day)

Starbucks package: 16.50/day

2 Dining credits: $120 ($60 value each, $10/day)

Fresh juice and bottled water: nonexistent with current packages. A la carte only.

Total non FAS+ spend WITHOUT BAR: $44.41/day

Now. Do I need to buy all of that stuff? Maybe not. But you're pretending like there's some equation here where FAS+ going away might be a better deal, and that's simply inaccurate. We have the numbers to show as much. It's gonna cost me $2 extra per day, and that's before I order a $6 bottle of Sam Pellegrino or Aqua Panna with dinner/drinks, or ask for fresh squeezed OJ in my mimosa (I don't even know what this costs)

Yes I've bartended. Yes it gets hectic. These folks are incredibly good at their job and trained to deal with it. Mistakes happen on occasion, but pretending like dealing with 2 packages as they have for....however long, is some insurmountable ask moving forward is nonsense.

Actually, I had full FAS+ package on my last cruise.  I was debating whether to buy the FAS+ drink packages on my two next cruises.  With MAS, I see no reason to buy the FAS+ drink packages.

Refresh my memory, where have the price lists for MAS liquors been published?  Until that, you don't know if there is harm or profit.  You're $2 PD could easily be overcome.  Right now, you don't know what liquors are covered, you don't know what liquors are on the connoisseur list, nor do you know how they are priced.

Could NCL deal with three drink packages?  Certainly.  But it looks like NCL has choosen to simplify life for the bartenders.

Right now, there's a lot of speculation and a lot of hand-wringing.  We need to wait until this shakes out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Actually, I had full FAS+ package on my last cruise.  I was debating whether to buy the FAS+ drink packages on my two next cruises.  With MAS, I see no reason to buy the FAS+ drink packages.

Refresh my memory, where have the price lists for MAS liquors been published?  Until that, you don't know if there is harm or profit.  You're $2 PD could easily be overcome.  Right now, you don't know what liquors are covered, you don't know what liquors are on the connoisseur list, nor do you know how they are priced.

Could NCL deal with three drink packages?  Certainly.  But it looks like NCL has choosen to simplify life for the bartenders.

Right now, there's a lot of speculation and a lot of hand-wringing.  We need to wait until this shakes out.

/sigh..

You keep bringing up a mysterious 3rd drink package despite it being clear from the outset that was never going to actually be a thing.  MAS is a direct replacement for FAS. There would be no reason to keep both around.  You also keep talking about liquor lists despite being shown exactly what parts of the FAS+ value are missing in the new offering and how those costs look moving forward. 

I'm done trying to explain it.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Eno said:

With all the changes was starting to worry that what I paid for would get lost in the shuffle. My credit card had been charged so I broke down and called - they must have a ton of staff on for all the calls they were expecting as was talking with an agent within 2 mins.  He said that during these changes things aren't showing up that are there right now so he sent me an amenity confirmation showing the 4 meal dining package for my daughter.  It also listed the FAS+ items.  He said that the FAS+ drink package will be removed as won't exist in 2026 and the amount will be removed from my invoice.  The dining, WIF and shore excursion credit will stay.  I will have to see how much is actually removed as purchased as the FAS+ package.  Was happy and he seemed knowledgeable - well until he told me that I will be moved to the MAS+ beverage package that is better than the FAS+ beverage package.  I assume he meant MAS vs FAS but didn't push it. 

did he mention how much would be refunded.  I have a 10 day cruise next year.  I'm traveling solo, so my FAS+ charge was $420.  If they remove the drink portion of it, but let me keep the two extra meals and the unlimited Internet, I wonder how much it will be.  I have no need for the Internet as I like to be disconnected when vacationing and the 150 minutes are more than enough.  so it will come down to how much they will charge me for the two extra meals.

He said they were working on it - was only able to say that the charge would be removed.   Before I added it I did price out the individual upgrades which were more in total.  I really only cared about the drinks and the specialty dining.  Wasn't too concerned about the WIFI and shore excursion but worked out to be cheaper with the package.  He did say it will be awhile before all the repricing is complete.  

There will be no FAS as of January 2025, all will be MAS.  MAS does seem better than FAS but it is the FAS+ that I will miss.  High end drinks that were in FAS+ will no longer be covered and the water and starbucks are no longer included - can purchase separately.  

35 minutes ago, macewank said:

/sigh..

You keep bringing up a mysterious 3rd drink package despite it being clear from the outset that was never going to actually be a thing.  MAS is a direct replacement for FAS. There would be no reason to keep both around.  You also keep talking about liquor lists despite being shown exactly what parts of the FAS+ value are missing in the new offering and how those costs look moving forward. 

I'm done trying to explain it.

If they kept the FAS+ to please you then they should keep the FAS to please others.  

To the best of my knowledge no one had posted the new drink prices or what is or is not included. 

btw isn’t a direct replacement for fas

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stellarose33 said:

so I checked my reservation via ncl. it states "unlimited bar" so that is FAS beverage package?

As I'm in a similar situation, I was told and it's written somewhere, that we will get the MAS beverage package and whatever that entails.

Doesn't really help me as I'm mostly a beer guy!

2 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

As I'm in a similar situation, I was told and it's written somewhere, that we will get the MAS beverage package and whatever that entails.

Doesn't really help me as I'm mostly a beer guy!

so I can't get beer?I am confused on how the FAS beverage package differs from the MAS.  the paperwork says only for trips booked after 10/1/24  and beyond. 

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

If they kept the FAS+ to please you then they should keep the FAS to please others.  

To the best of my knowledge no one had posted the new drink prices or what is or is not included. 

I agree with what you're saying. Some on here have no patience to see how things might shake out.

I wonder, outside of these forums, what's the percentage of NCL cruisers that actually have been purchasing the FAS+ package?

I've got to think it's a pretty small %. I've spoken to many on my various sailings, while at the bars, and it's rare that I find someone with it.

I spent 10 days in the Vibe on Getaway in April and I only met one person who had FAS+

Most seem perfectly satisfied with the standard FAS beverage package, like me, and will be even more so with the MAS.

The other stuff in the package can still be gotten (pretty much) on the side and there may be more to come as this all plays out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stellarose33 said:

so I can't get beer?I am confused on how the FAS beverage package differs from the MAS.  the paperwork says only for trips booked after 10/1/24  and beyond. 

Of course you can get beer!!!

The MAS beverage portion gives you everything FAS did plus a little more.

And what I meant was that they aren't going to make the bartenders differentiate between MAS beverage pkg and FAS Beverage pkg.

• Like 2

Agree that it depends on your Latitudes status and if FAS+ holds any value for you whether or not there will be much (any?) impact.

There's nothing on FAS+ that really appeals to me, other than perhaps unlimited WiFi.

That said, I'm Sapphire Latitudes and get the extra Specialty Dining credits already.  My bourbon is Buffalo Trace, so that's already on FAS...Tangurery for the few times I drink gin.  BudLIght, Stella, are OK with me beer wise.  Not really a wine connoisseur, so nothing there makes a difference.

To me, it looks like a marketing shift...take a little from here, give a little back there, etc.  

I don't have anything booked for 2025 (yet).  So, will be interesting regarding the first reports when on. board with MAS.

Other than that, given the cost of other cruise lines' drinks and dining packages, MAS holds up well from what I can see.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2