Hurricane Milton

It's projected to be a Cat 5 now; I would suspect Port Canaveral will be closed Weds/Thursday if the path goes through like the models are showing.  Same for Tampa.

@Nestsimar what they told you isn’t technically true because those boarding Magnifica today had an itinerary change. They are no longer going to Ocean Cay and are now scheduled for DR and extra sea days instead. I'm also waiting for news for my Friday sailing, so full transparency on their part would be so helpful! 

Posted (edited)

Port Canaveral has set a hotline for port status 321-394-3411. As of now they are sure they will be closing down later in the week and that will impact Thursday and Friday cruises.

I am a local resident and will keep an eye out for any news regarding port canaveral and the cruises schedules. Brevard county Schools are closed wed and thursday but will resume on friday. 

Edited by Nestsimar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Nestsimar I am really disappointment at MSC on the communication. I believe they should have sent an email to everyone with at least saying they are monitoring and no change at this time. Since Saturday, I predicted that MSC Seashore was not going to be able to return on Thursday and what concern the most was that Port Canaveral floods and if a storm surge occurs most of people cars are going to be total loss. So that being said, I decided not to go. Plus, I was afraid with a 5 year old that motion sickness may take place because even if they hid around bahama islands you will still feel something come Wednesday and Thursday. How was the ride down to Ocean Cay since you guys left with storm conditions?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Meli1234agreed they should have provided some sort of update. As far as port flooding that will really depend on which location you pick. I never had issues but I've always chose to park at the parking garage. These days i just uber do to being so close. As far as the ship that went out while helene was around my friend didnt mentioned any motion sickness or bad experiences at sea. She did said they kept them informed as when arriving that the port was closed and that they will enjoy another day at sea. They went south away from tbe rougg waters and it wasnt bad. 

As of now they really are waiting ok any decisions made by Port Canaveral since they are the only cruise schedule Thursday and we really have no idea how much of an impact Milton will have on our area since the path still a bit undetermined. It’s a waiting game for now. 

its really too early to cancel anything we even had a shuttle leave today around lunch time. We will be receiving 3 visiting ships on port tomorrow life goes on out here until they shut us down. 

Edited by Nestsimar
  • Like 1

I find it interesting to see what the different ships are doing. The Carnival Liberty out of New Orleans yesterday is getting across in front of Milton in 5m/s winds and 2m seas right now, so it looks good for them. The Harmony of the Seas out of Galveston yesterday has clearly decided to not try that and is cruising in the NW Gulf of Mexico. Pretty sure they will miss their Costa Maya stop scheduled for tomorrow. It has to be an interesting trying to plot a course that will get them where they are going with the least fuel burnt, most comfort to the guests, and on-time arrival time at their next port, Roatan. I am guessing the Carnival Breeze will come out of Galveston tonight and tuck in behind them.

Further east, the Grandeur of the Seas leaving Tampa tonight will need to hurry to get across in front of Milton. They should be heading out soon. I would be surprised if the Paradise will be able to dock there on Thursday. The Florida east coast ports will be interesting for sure. If Port Canaveral does not re-open before Saturday, that will be quite the traffic jam with 4 ships scheduled Friday and 3 more on Saturday. Surge shouldn't be nearly as bad on the east coast because Milton will be moving offshore.

Finally, I had no idea there were so many short cruises out of Florida and the Gulf, as a cruise for me is a floating hotel that travels to a new city while I sleep.

• Like 1

1st time having to worry about hurricane season.... what "usually" happens? delayed departure, cancelled cruise? supposed to be out of Tampa Thursday on Carnival Paradise. wondering if Paradise won't be able to get into port Thursday morning (perhaps hanging back behind Milton before coming back to Florida).

@cherryharley Even if they can get to the port, the port has to be open. Workers have to be there to operate the port and the port must be "ok" in regards to damage (the cruise has to be be able dock) 

You are going to have to keep contacting Carnival and see your options and if they maybe can give you a cruise credit for a future cruise

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Meli1234 said:

@mcmomny We were suppose to leave with you and decided last minute not to board. I knew we were going to be ok but was concerned with the weather and rockiness of the boat and nausea (I have a 5 year old son). Just wondering how the ocean has been? I know there was some rain and storms going down. I called 3x times to MSC yesterday and they told no changes to plans and I was really, how are you suppose to dock on Thursday when Hurricane will still be passing?? The lack of communication from MSC really put me off especially since Royal, Virgin and Carnival had all emailed passengers with changes or at the very least communicative about the situation. 

Really it hasn't been too rough at all. Just lots of rain. The island was fun today but lots of rain, we did have about 2 hours of no rain but no sun. Very few people came out so we felt like we had the place to ourselves

@TheCenterOfTheLabyrinthI am currently trying to get a cruise credit for the cruise I did not board. I did not board because I fear my safety and that of my family and not personal reasons and I think that should be sufficient enough. However, if they do cancel a cruise, they do automatically refund all money. But most like they won't cancel. What they would do is "delay" and shorten your cruise. So if you were scheduled to leave Thursday, they may tell you new date for embarkation is Friday or Saturday and same return date. Otherwords, shorten your trip and  receive no compensation. They MAY depending on ship and cruise line offer on board credit of like $50 if that  

• Like 1

Just spoke to a family member living in Ocala. They are planing on “riding out the storm”. He best guess is that the port will be closed sometime  Wednesday and if damage is minimal reopened late Thursday. Pray for Central Florida 

• Like 1

Milton is headed toward Tampa Bay. Port Canaveral is on the other side of the state.

Coco Cay is in the Bahamas and Milton is not headed that way.

That being said, Milton is predicted to be a cat 3 when it makes landfall. It should slow to a cat 1 as it passes over the state. While a cat 1 can do substantial damage, I think the port will be ok.

Any cruise ships that are scheduled to arrive/depart Port Canaveral over the next few days will not be doing so. This storm is big, bigger than Helene and will do significant damage to Florida. The only "good" part is that it will pass over the state and not head northward to do more damage.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Harrisonkid said:

Have other family who are in Long Boat Key…they bugged out yesterday 

We are on LBK as well. Bugging out first thing tomorrow.

We got hit very, very bad by Helene. The storm surge for Milton is predicted to be upwards of 12 feet. That may level the island!

Edited by CaroleSS