Rudeness of Cruisers

Wow. I guess it is fortunate that both of the people who went unsuccessfully seeking nice views of the passing scenery in the public areas of the ship had private balconies to fall back on.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

I agree there's no call for rudeness. But I would not expect the crew to intervene regarding the moving of chairs. You got to do the best you can with over 2,000 other people on the ship each trying to do what they can to maximize their own experience, and it can be a challenge sometimes.

The OP has a valid complaint, which ought not be belittled. According to you, the remedy for rudeness is self-help, which in a civilized society should be a last resort.

When the crew on site failed to intervene, the OP should have been able to have the crew call for Security.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

The OP has a valid complaint, which ought not be belittled. According to you, the remedy for rudeness is self-help, which in a civilized society should be a last resort.

When the crew on site failed to intervene, the OP should have been able to have the crew call for Security.

Security for moving chairs😂.  When I get my private yacht I will make that a rule but until then manage to share 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

\

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Security for moving chairs😂.  When I get my private yacht I will make that a rule but until then manage to share 

They should see how we sometimes have to jam in all the chairs in the crow's nest for trivia. 

As for security, I hear stories about how on Carnival there's security and drug dogs and who knows what else all over the place, and I'm glad to be on HAL. Everyone has their own preferences, though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodndonna said:

I think that may be in part to the fact that NCL cruisers are typically a younger and more mobile demographic. We're on the younger side of HAL (late 50's) and on the scenic cruises we've done with them (Alaska. Panama Canal and Norway) we were just constantly walking about the ship's viewing areas continually (no moss on us !). I think NCL crowd might be more like that as well - especially with the 8th deck on those Prima class ships.

I'm sure the ship's demographic was younger than a typical HAL cruise, but I was 76 at the time and met plenty of others in my age demographic.

My personal experience is that rudeness is just now a part of travelling and yet another thing you have to be on the look out for.  It's not only on cruise ships, but everywhere these days.

Just last week we were on a land based trip touring a Canadian city when I was suddenly roughly and forcefully shoulder checked by a middle aged gentleman on the street.  No provocation whatsoever and I had a wide berth from him which when he shoulder checked me it came as quite a surprise.

This past summer we were boarding our flight in Schipol to return home.  The plane was delayed by an hour and AF had switched out the original plane to another plane and this meant that a couple who were originally sitting together were no longer.  This was a couple in their 20s and she was having no part of that.  She caused a bit of a scene at the gate and when boarding (she was in Business class as we were), I was behind her.  She stopped to complain to the flight attendant and it took a lot of effort on the flight attendant to get her to sit in her seat.  But she didn't.  Instead, she took a few steps into the plane and then rudely started pointing to other passenger telling them to change seats and when they refused (her tone was very abrasive) should would demand to know why. I tried to move past her to take my seat and get the plane loaded and she turned right around and demanded that I wait.  At that point the flight attendant had to come down again and practically order her to take her seat and that she would deal with it when the plane was finished loading.

I could share more.  My experience has been that it isn't a particular age group or type of travel.  You must though keep your wits about you as travel at times can be quite the exercise in patience.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

Wow. I guess it is fortunate that both of the people who went unsuccessfully seeking nice views of the passing scenery in the public areas of the ship had private balconies to fall back on.

Ever since a Princess cruise where our teeny little balcony was our only refuge from noise, I get a balcony. It costs more, and if that makes me seem entitled, so be it. But as cruise lines find ways to jam more and more people onto ships without a proportional increase in public space, that is what I choose to do.  

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Ever since a Princess cruise where our teeny little balcony was our only refuge from noise, I get a balcony. It costs more, and if that makes me seem entitled, so be it. But as cruise lines find ways to jam more and more people onto ships without a proportional increase in public space, that is what I choose to do.  

We are also balcony takers. And I think the description of the crowded areas aboard the Rotterdam in this thread show that it's good to have a balcony. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

By your logic, the OP was selfish for not being willing to share the space in front of her. Remember, per party had claimed their placed three hours earlier and had been waiting since. The usurper did not ask if OP minded, and responded to OP's objection with, in effect, "It must suck to be you." That's the kind of altercation that leads to barroom brawls. You and I will never agree on this, I fear, but yes, I do think calling Security would have been appropriate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

holland-america-rotterdam_holland-america-line_observation-lounge_aaron-saunders_18904569.jpg.avif

It would be nice if the OP made it clearer where they were sitting in the Rotterdam Crow's Nest. The comfortable, forward facing seating still can be interrupted if people sit on the bench right by the window (see picture), which, I suppose, is within the letter of the law. Mostly they don't in my experience but I don't tend to be up there for scenic cruising. 

holland-america-rotterdam_holland-america-line_observation-lounge_aaron-saunders_18904569.jpg.jpg

• Like 3

Something that may add to the pressure to find a good spot for scenic viewing on Rotterdam and the other pinnacle ships is the design of the "promenade" deck. The view along most of that space is blocked by lifeboats and canned rafts. I don't know how long the open space is on Rotterdam, but I was on Cunard's pinnacle, Queen Anne, and I estimate that out of the whole "promenade" deck, there's a 70-foot stretch on each side where you can actually see something if you stand at the rail. As someone who likes to wander around and see from different viewpoints, I find that frustrating. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

holland-america-rotterdam_holland-america-line_observation-lounge_aaron-saunders_18904569.jpg.avif 526.39 kB · 0 downloads

It would be nice if the OP made it clearer where they were sitting in the Rotterdam Crow's Nest. The comfortable, forward facing seating still can be interrupted if people sit on the bench right by the window (see picture), which, I suppose, is within the letter of the law. Mostly they don't in my experience but I don't tend to be up there for scenic cruising. 

holland-america-rotterdam_holland-america-line_observation-lounge_aaron-saunders_18904569.jpg.jpg

Yes, on occasion, people will sit in those seats right under the window.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I'd say there's not enough "rail space" for everyone to have a bit on a glacier day.  Some sharing would be a friendly gesture. 

Happy to report that on a recent visit in Glacier Bay on the Eurodam, people standing by the bow railing as we approached Johns Hopkins glacier would step aside every few minutes so those behind them could come to the railing and enjoy a clear view. It was a very cordial atmosphere.

• Like 15

9 hours ago, krittykat said:

The US. Sorry I wasn't clear. I guess I expect common courtesy. My millennial daughter said that people always complain her generation is rude but they are polite beyond compare to the representation of the silent generation on this ship.

I will continue to try to set an example of politeness.

How do you know they were from US?  You know they were rude, yes., but I try not to stereotype...and don't ask for passports.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CNSJ said:

How do you know they were from US?  You know they were rude, yes., but I try not to stereotype...and don't ask for passports.

Pretty easy. Head to CS, As for a passenger by country listing. They have it. I know because I just received one for our NA Canal crossing. Personally I agree with the post. I agree USA folks are not as accommodating as say Canadians. I am from USA, so try not to diss me for saying it. 

5 hours ago, Petronillus said:

OP's icon identifies her home as Washington State. Are there other states named Washington outside the USA?

When viewing on a phone you can’t see the location. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coolbluegreenseas said:

So, she made a scene while the BF or hubby said nothing? My guess is he did not mind whatsoever.

You are correct, he didn't respond at all.  He immediately took his seat and kept quiet.  As it turned out, the passenger that was seated next to her was a no-show so the flight attendant came down and offered the husband to move seats so they could be seated together.

She had no qualms whatsoever holding up the entire plane boarding an already delayed plane though.

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

4 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

We are also balcony takers. And I think the description of the crowded areas aboard the Rotterdam in this thread show that it's good to have a balcony. 

ABSOLUTELY!

We get a balcony or a suite and never even know what issues are going on. No deck chairs we like? Go to the cabin. Music too loud or not to our taste? Go to the cabin.  Dealing with folks that weren't raised properly? Go to the cabin.  Grab something to drink/eat on the way or do room service...go to the balcony and kick back. Watch the world go by.  That's living.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

You think that's bad...during scenic cruising into Cape Town on this years' GWV, an entitled lady laid out on one of the Crow's Nest couches.  She had her shoes off and feet up on the couch taking up at least THREE spaces!  The Crow's Nest filled up and she just ignored everyone, continuing to read a book.  She got plenty of mean looks but just ignored everyone.  It was the most "entitled" thing I had ever seen on a cruise.  I hope she reads this.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

ABSOLUTELY!

We get a balcony or a suite and never even know what issues are going on. No deck chairs we like? Go to the cabin. Music too loud or not to our taste? Go to the cabin.  Dealing with folks that weren't raised properly? Go to the cabin.  Grab something to drink/eat on the way or do room service...go to the balcony and kick back. Watch the world go by.  That's living.

Well, that usually works. Last winter on my Caribbean cruise, we had a lovely sunny sea day. Unfortunately, on the previous port day, they cleaned some balconies and varnished the railings.  My lovely haven still smelled of varnish. Fortunately, I was able to get a chair on Promenade deck and spend a lot of the day there. 

So, question: Is it chair hogging if you actually sit in it all day? Except for bathroom breaks and a quick run to the buffet to get lunch (which I took to the chair), I didn't leave it unattended for long stretches of time.

45 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

You think that's bad...during scenic cruising into Cape Town on this years' GWV, an entitled lady laid out on one of the Crow's Nest couches.  She had her shoes off and feet up on the couch taking up at least THREE spaces!  The Crow's Nest filled up and she just ignored everyone, continuing to read a book.  She got plenty of mean looks but just ignored everyone.  It was the most "entitled" thing I had ever seen on a cruise.  I hope she reads this.

That is wrong in so many ways. Too bad some people didn't strike up a loud conversation near her. 

2 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

USA folks are not as accommodating as say Canadians

Agree.  Average Canadian is more polite.  Sad to say.

But this certainly is not the case for all either side of border.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Mary229 said:

On some cruises the deck chairs by the pools are subject to chair hogging and other chair related transgressions, on cold weather cruises it occurs in the Crow’s Nest .  Nothing new here 

When we were on the Rotterdam last year.  We went up to the Crow's Nest at 5:30 am before the sail in up Geiranger Fjord.   There was a chair with a really nice scarf tied around it.  I wanted to remove it and place it aside, but didn't. 😂

Edited by Dancing Shoes
  • Like 1