Luggage tags

My system for strengthening luggage tags works really well. I have a roll of clear, wide packing tape, left over from a house move. Once printed I put a strip of the wide tape down the length of the tag, and when ready to board, I have a mini stapler, I think from an upmarket Christmas cracker, I staple it on, and around the sides add regular sellotape from a small dispenser, probably originating from a kids' craft pack. The stapler and sellotape live permanently with all my other cruise holiday paraphernalia.  Only downside is that the tags need a bit of extra effort to remove from luggage when no longer needed, but where there's a will, there's a way 😉 

What's wrong with just folding the tag and stapling it? We just take a small travel stapler and staple the paper tag on our suitcases the moment before we leave them at the collection point and have never had a problem. They've always remained firmly attached. 

1 hour ago, colourbird said:

What's wrong with just folding the tag and stapling it? We just take a small travel stapler and staple the paper tag on our suitcases the moment before we leave them at the collection point and have never had a problem. They've always remained firmly attached. 

Over the years, we had lost two stapled tags and had to go looking for the bags via guest services. The handlers aren't particularly gentle with our luggage. These tag holders are simple, durable, cheap, and we don't need to pack a stapler or tape. 20+ cruises in, our holders still look like new.

• Like 5

on our 2018 cruise I printed out the luggage tags 2-3 weeks beforehand and took them with us and as we checked out of the hotel on the morning of the cruise I asked reception if we could borrow their stapler and it wasn't an issue stapling them to the suitcases.

This time I'm going to leave it until the last minute before printing them out as we have bid for an upgrade on our stateroom.. and some on CC said if our bid is successful we might not get notified until less than a week before the cruise departs 

1 hour ago, colourbird said:

What wrong with stapling the folded tag?  Well, if you've ever tried to drop your bags after walking from the train station to board a ship while its teeming down with rain and even hailing, you'd know how the stapled paper tags disintegrate.  In September we had this experience and noticed how many other travellers' bags had lost their tags as there was very limited room to queue under any sort of shelter on the approach to the bag drop area.  The upshot was that everyone had to wait longer in the elements while new tags were printed and attached by the staff.  Not the end of the world I grant you, but not a very nice start to a wonderful cruise either.  Besides, the plastic tags make you look like an very experienced cruiser even if you're only at the beginning of your cruising life.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

What wrong with stapling the folded tag?  Well, if you've ever tried to drop your bags after walking from the train station to board a ship while its teeming down with rain and even hailing, you'd know how the stapled paper tags disintegrate.  In September we had this experience and noticed how many other travellers' bags had lost their tags as there was very limited room to queue under any sort of shelter on the approach to the bag drop area.  The upshot was that everyone had to wait longer in the elements while new tags were printed and attached by the staff.  Not the end of the world I grant you, but not a very nice start to a wonderful cruise either.  Besides, the plastic tags make you look like an very experienced cruiser even if you're only at the beginning of your cruising life.

They also look neater (not that I'm going for the best dressed luggage award) and assist in identifying our luggage at disembarkation, along with two colourful luggage labels and a fluro handle sleeve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ceeceeDee said:

They also look neater (not that I'm going for the best dressed luggage award) and assist in identifying our luggage at disembarkation, along with two colourful luggage labels and a fluro handle sleeve.

We also use them in reverse for disembarking, and just slip one of the coloured debarkation tags over the top of the boarding one. I have also had a debarkation tag get ripped-off, and had to go hunting for the bag in the terminal, all while in a hurry to get to Brisbane airport.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, arxcards said:

We also use them in reverse for disembarking, and just slip one of the coloured debarkation tags over the top of the boarding one. I have also had a debarkation tag get ripped-off, and had to go hunting for the bag in the terminal, all while in a hurry to get to Brisbane airport.

When disembarking I put either our hotel details if not returning to Sydney or our contact details in the luggage tag just in case a bag goes astray between our cabin and the baggage pick-up in the terminal. 

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

I always use my plastic tag holder for embarking, but I don't use it for disembarking, when they issue you with those slippery coloured tags. Last cruise, my tag became detached from my bag, and I waited for 1.5 hours in the OPT until they found it, on what I think was the very last load to come off the forklift.  So next time, I'm going to put the disembarkation tag in the reusable luggage holder. 

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

When disembarking I put either our hotel details if not returning to Sydney or our contact details in the luggage tag just in case a bag goes astray between our cabin and the baggage pick-up in the terminal. 

I  am going to try out my Apple tags in my suitcases next cruise and flights to Singapore.

Edited by JohnGc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

I always use my plastic tag holder for embarking, but I don't use it for disembarking, when they issue you with those slippery coloured tags. Last cruise, my tag became detached from my bag, and I waited for 1.5 hours in the OPT until they found it, on what I think was the very last load to come off the forklift.  So next time, I'm going to put the disembarkation tag in the reusable luggage holder. 

I learned in a similar way, although not for anywhere near as long. In the terminal, they end up with a growing row of unlabelled cases, so am aware it isn't a rare occurrence. Mine wasn't there, but it was on a trolley that was making its way over.

• Like 1

If the tag on one of our bags goes astray they won't have any problems figuring out what other bags it belongs with. All our bags have a bright logo painted on them in four places on each bag. And since I painted them the artwork isn't likely to be duplicated by someone else who has never seen our bags. 

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If the tag on one of our bags goes astray they won't have any problems figuring out what other bags it belongs with. All our bags have a bright logo painted on them in four places on each bag. And since I painted them the artwork isn't likely to be duplicated by someone else who has never seen our bags. 

Likely they will not even give it any consideration, unless the cases are lucky enough to make it off the ship together. Otherwise they will just put in in the untagged row for the passenger find it there when they can't find it in the row of their tag assignment. If that were to happen, you will spot it there at a glance, but the terminal staff will rarely make that assumption.

21 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Now that's a tip worth knowing.  Thanks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, arxcards said:

Likely they will not even give it any consideration, unless the cases are lucky enough to make it off the ship together. Otherwise they will just put in in the untagged row for the passenger find it there when they can't find it in the row of their tag assignment. If that were to happen, you will spot it there at a glance, but the terminal staff will rarely make that assumption.

Sometimes they do. A couple of times we've reach the baggage pick-up to find our bags neatly stacked together instead of just randomly placed in the lines of bags. 

• Like 1

We have always used the plastic covers, just ordered some more from Amazon but these have the stainless rings as someone posted above. I have just put the Carnival luggage tags in them, perfect fit.

They all come off on disembarkation as we walk our luggage off, too easy.

I was just thinking how our cruising life has changed.....used to be the last to board and be called from the pub, now we are first on, used to pack way too much, now we have medium case each and back pack, no matter how long we are away for. Used to love cruising to dress up, now happier in casual clothes, used to get a shuttle/taxi to the airport, now we jump on the train, but get off at Mascot and walk to save the $18 haha!!

Wow, we used to drive to Sydney from the North coast, park and pay for the car.....now we fly. Hu

Life has changed, and I guess as you get older you just do you!!!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

We have always used the plastic covers, just ordered some more from Amazon but these have the stainless rings as someone posted above. I have just put the Carnival luggage tags in them, perfect fit.

They all come off on disembarkation as we walk our luggage off, too easy.

I was just thinking how our cruising life has changed.....used to be the last to board and be called from the pub, now we are first on, used to pack way too much, now we have medium case each and back pack, no matter how long we are away for. Used to love cruising to dress up, now happier in casual clothes, used to get a shuttle/taxi to the airport, now we jump on the train, but get off at Mascot and walk to save the $18 haha!!

Wow, we used to drive to Sydney from the North coast, park and pay for the car.....now we fly. Hu

Life has changed, and I guess as you get older you just do you!!!

Hallelujah Chez!

And it is $18 x 2, enough for a Carnival cocktail each. We used to part cheat. Get off the train at Mascot, then walk to the Holiday Inn and pay for a airport shuttle - $7 at the time. We are still spoiled to be walking distance to the train at either end, so that spoils us a bit. Even so, I am equally enjoying the bus to Newcastle Airport to fly and cruise out of Brisbane.

• Like 1