Don't get too attached to the cabin you selected!

On 10/16/2024 at 9:18 PM, Windsailer said:

Asking for an upgrade is a good suggestion. I was on a cruise when I heard about the change - and talked it over with some of my fellow passengers. That was one of the suggestions. Another that I found interesting is to go by that cabin if I take the cruise, knock on the door and introduce myself - with the preface - hey, are you enjoying my cabin?🤣

I reread tae last email. In part it says: "

While it’s always difficult for us to hear about the disappointments our travelers may encounter, the Guest Relations Department was created to listen to our guests’ comments, both positive and negative, so we may continue to evolve with guest satisfaction in mind.

While we can understand your disappointment, as stated previously, the stateroom change was made for operational reasons. Stateroom V5053 is no longer affiliated with your voyage. We are unable to assist with your request."

So that cabin has been removed from the ship?  Moved to another Pinnacle class ship?  What does "...no longer affiliated with your voyage" mean?

The comment about the stateroom no longer being affiliated with your cruise means that  the cabin has been removed from sellable inventory for that cruise. That can happen for a wide variety of reasons. Had that happen to me once when a visiting entertainer planned to bring his family along and wanted a bigger cabin then they normally put him in. Cabin was changed for operational reasons and removed from bookable inventory.

Have also seen it when they plan to do some work between dry dock on a few cabins each cruise.

There is the possibility if the cruise is sold in multiple configurations, such a a 7 day or part of a longer 14 day that they will not include it in the sellable inventory for the shorter cruise, though i have not encountered one being removed from inventory for that reason, and in those cases customer service can usually work around the restriction.

Edited by ldtr1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ldtr1 said:

There is the possibility if the cruise is sold in multiple configurations, such a a 7 day or part of a longer 14 day that they will not include it in the sellable inventory for the shorter cruise, though i have not encountered one being removed from inventory for that reason, and in those cases customer service can usually work around the restriction.

OP had already booked that cabin, so it WAS in the inventory for his cruise.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Just as mine was before they pulled it from inventory to be used for the entertainers family. In my case it was 1 week before the cruise started. When i called to get it back i was told that i was moved for operational reasons, and could not get it returned because it was removed from inventory for that cruise. On board the cruise i was able to find out that it did not contain passengers, but instead was used for a guest entertainer and his family.

Considering that cruises are sold 2 years in advance. Unlikely that a cabin will be removed from inventory until a reason exists to do so. In this case it happened to already have been booked before whatever reason that led to it being removed from inventory came up.

Edited by ldtr1

3 hours ago, ldtr1 said:

Just as mine was before they pulled it from inventory to be used for the entertainers family. In my case it was 1 week before the cruise started. When i called to get it back i was told that i was moved for operational reasons, and could not get it returned because it was removed from inventory for that cruise. On board the cruise i was able to find out that it did not contain passengers, but instead was used for a guest entertainer and his family.

Considering that cruises are sold 2 years in advance. Unlikely that a cabin will be removed from inventory until a reason exists to do so. In this case it happened to already have been booked before whatever reason that led to it being removed from inventory came up.

Ok, but still really bad customer service, and not acceptable.

Being booted from a cabin for an employee and family? Huh.

Says alot. Customers are not cattle that can be herded to whatever the cruiseline thinks works for them.

IMO this policy will deter customers from bookings, especially those that have the money to spend on an upper level cabin and loyal customers. Shameful.

The word will get out and hopefully TAs wiil be up front with people looking to book. 

Not a good look for HAL.

Edited by Cruisercl
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I wonder if they reassigned it because it is an accessible stateroom and someone with a walker or other aid requires it? I have a similar room booked and if it wasn't available, it would be difficult for my husband to move around a regular room. Maybe that is why? Either way, you should receive an upgrade.

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

Ok, but still really bad customer service, and not acceptable.

Being booted from a cabin for an employee and family? Huh.

Says alot. Customers are not cattle that can be herded to whatever the cruiseline thinks works for them.

IMO this policy will deter customers from bookings, especially those that have the money to spend on an upper level cabin and loyal customers. Shameful.

The word will get out and hopefully TAs wiil be up front with people looking to book. 

Not a good look for HAL.

Actually the case for the guest entertainer was on a different line, Princess to be exact.

The other case i mentioned, the decision to take a few cabins out of inventory for work was also on a different line, Celebrity.

Just mentioned those in terms of cabins being removed from inventory (not affiliated woth a specific cruise)

Cruise lines different language the same.

1 minute ago, ldtr1 said:

Actually the case for the guest entertainer was on a different line, Princess to be exact.

The other case i mentioned, the decision to take a few cabins out of inventory for work was also on a different line, Celebrity.

Just mentioned those in terms of cabins being removed from inventory (not affiliated woth a specific cruise)

Cruise lines different language the same.

It doesn't really matter what the cruiseline is. The weak excuses are not acceptable either. An honest defintion of the cause or reason would be helpful for all involved. Operational reasons are a weak excuse. Again, shameful. Lacks character and decency.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

reminds me of the Seinfeld car rental reservation episode...." I don't think you understand....you know how to take the reservation but not how to hold the reservation which is the entire point of the reservation"...paraphrase

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Donbar said:

I wonder if they reassigned it because it is an accessible stateroom and someone with a walker or other aid requires it? I have a similar room booked and if it wasn't available, it would be difficult for my husband to move around a regular room. Maybe that is why? Either way, you should receive an upgrade.

It wasn't accessible.  I never would have booked it if it were. I have V5050 booked for a cruise in 2026. Rather than have HAL do this again I am going to cancel.  There are other cruiselines. I'd rather sail on a cruise line that values its customers a bit more.

Edited by Windsailer
  • Like 8

45 minutes ago, Windsailer said:

It wasn't accessible.  I never would have booked it if it were. I have V5050 booked for a cruise in 2026. Rather than have HAL do this again I am going to cancel.  There are other cruiselines. I'd rather sail on a cruise line that values its customers a bit more.

why not at least ask for compensation or upgrade to suite etc first?  all they can do is say no?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Windsailer said:

See IDTR1’s posts above.  Same situations on other lines. 

I'm glad I discovered this thread. I, too, am a four-star Mariner and, like many others here, am obsessive about choosing the "right" cabin and usually like to book over a year in advance. I'm going on a short repositioning cruise on the Koningsdam this coming week, and was planning to visit the Future Cruise Desk to see about booking a 29-night cruise on the Nieuw Statendam for the fall of 2026. It looks like a great cruise (starting in Rotterdam, nearly two weeks exploring ports in Norway, some above the Arctic Circle, followed by a transatlantic ending in Fort Lauderdale. The problem is that "my" itinerary is actually parts "B" and "C" of an even longer cruise that begins in the Mediterranean. I'm concerned that someone on part "A" may wind up bumping me if they decide to add "B" to their booking.

It violates nearly all my "rules" of cruise-booking, but---at least with HAL---to avoid getting bumped or moved I'm going to wait until sixty days or so before any cruise before booking. If I miss out on a good deal, so be it. If I give up on HAL, so be it. I'm a reasonable person, but I don't like to be pushed around.

Jim

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JimDee363636 said:

I'm glad I discovered this thread. I, too, am a four-star Mariner and, like many others here, am obsessive about choosing the "right" cabin and usually like to book over a year in advance. I'm going on a short repositioning cruise on the Koningsdam this coming week, and was planning to visit the Future Cruise Desk to see about booking a 29-night cruise on the Nieuw Statendam for the fall of 2026. It looks like a great cruise (starting in Rotterdam, nearly two weeks exploring ports in Norway, some above the Arctic Circle, followed by a transatlantic ending in Fort Lauderdale. The problem is that "my" itinerary is actually parts "B" and "C" of an even longer cruise that begins in the Mediterranean. I'm concerned that someone on part "A" may wind up bumping me if they decide to add "B" to their booking.

It violates nearly all my "rules" of cruise-booking, but---at least with HAL---to avoid getting bumped or moved I'm going to wait until sixty days or so before any cruise before booking. If I miss out on a good deal, so be it. If I give up on HAL, so be it. I'm a reasonable person, but I don't like to be pushed around.

Jim

My cabin choice is one of the top important things for me on a cruise...i try not to book a room that holds three or four for fear of getting changed.  I always ask to be marked no upgrade.  I spend lot of time looking at the available choices and often pay extra to select my room...with a few rare exceptions I see no valid reason for my confirmed cabin to be given to someone else..if it shows avail as part c of a back to back too bad if somebody wants the entire cruise rather than move rooms after a and b segments.  I see nothing the least big unreasonable about that position...if u don't want to sell part c particular cabin then don't allow ,me to book it...if you do it anyway and want me to move than make me a substantial offer of OBC or a nice upgrade and i will consider it but don't just say we have moved you end of discussion.

• Like 12

Unfortunately Princess and Holland have lost sight of what made them a desirable cruiseline and built guest loyalty. Princess has absolutely no customer service anymore and Holland's policy of taking cabin choice away is unacceptable. My March cruise will probably be my last Holland.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2024 at 6:10 PM, Windsailer said:

A year ago I signed up for Club Orange and selected V5050 on the Rotterdam. It's an April 2025 cruise. That cabin has a double wide balcony and has a window in addition to the sliding glass door. That cabin is not a triple or a quad. HAL just notified my TA that I was being re-assigned to another V cabin, it was for "operational reasons" and I couldn't have V5050 back. 

I contacted the Office of the President. This was the response. 

"We truly regret that you were dissatisfied with the stateroom we assigned you on board. We make every effort to accommodate our guests’ wishes and needs, and we do reserve the right to reassign guests as needed due to operational reasons. While we can certainly understand your disappointment, we are unable to reassign this stateroom to you and hope you can understand that guests are moved as a last resort.  We hope that the above information is helpful, and we do apologize for your dissatisfaction."

And no, they wouldn't clarify what the operational reasons were. The cynic in me thinks that some VIP really wanted that cabin - and there you go. 

Final payment on this cruise isn't until the end of this year. In the meantime I will decide if I am sufficiently irritated about how HAL treats it's 4* Mariners to cancel the cruise. Just be forewarned. I do hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. 

I would bet money that they have this President/Cruise related AUTOMATIC reply ready/waiting for this scenario LOL After all this is not their first RODEO! LOL  

Edited by shandryl
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Windsailer said:

If you go ahead with the cruise, check the room and see if you can find out the reason for removal from inventory. Would be very interesting information.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Windsailer said:

We do sail on other cruise lines (18 to be exact) and can assure you that any cruise line has the right to change your booked cabin, at any time.  Does it happen on other lines?  Absolutely, sometimes it is for the better and other times it is not!  This is just part of cruising.  In some cases, you may not know about a change until you check-in at the port.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I always get the cheapest inside room I can get for the 3/4 of us. Where on the ship does not matter and I let the cruise line choose. In this situation, I usually don't know where I am till the cruise is nearly upon us. Heck, I could sleep in a lounge chair in the library if need be. I am only in my room to sleep, out by 6 or 7AM and back in by 9PM at the latest. If a port day and I go on shore, I might pop back in upon returning to the ship to drop a load.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My goodness. I'm impressed with folks who have perfection in every area of their lives.

Cruise lines carry millions of passengers over time, how often does someone get moved out of their booked cabin?  I'll bet it is a lot fewer than airlines lose their luggage.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3