Diamond Princess 19 Oct - Off again cruising

Well its my turn to cruise on one of the last Melbourne departures tommorrow on the Diamond Princess. 

Got notification yesterday that there will be delayed boarding. It wont start until 3 pm due to buggies on the current cruise and there needs to be a deep clean.

My partner was meant to go on this cruise with me but he had to work. So his mum will be going with me instead.

This is a domestic cruise. South Australia 4 stops. It will be my third time doing cruise and my MIL second. She missed Kangaroo Island last time because it couldn't tender. I've been to all four ports. Haven't booked any excurions. Haven't booked any dining. Its very much going to be a see how we go type of experience. 

• Like 5

Hope the bad weather forecast for tomorrow in Melbourne doesn't delay your departure.  This happened to us in March when we didn't leave the dock for almost 24 hours after boarding but, once we boarded (4 hours late) and unpacked I sat looking out a window on the opposite site of the ship to the port (Starboard?) and pretended we were at sea already.

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

Hope the bad weather forecast for tomorrow in Melbourne doesn't delay your departure.  This happened to us in March when we didn't leave the dock for almost 24 hours after boarding but, once we boarded (4 hours late) and unpacked I sat looking out a window on the opposite site of the ship to the port (Starboard?) and pretended we were at sea already.

The bad weather forecast is for today rather than tomorrow. One or two showers for tomorrow. Whereas today, it has hardly stopped raining since before 7am and we have had a thunderstorm too.

The rain gone through Ballarat this morning. It should be okay for tommorrow. I dont get sea sick so wont be an issue for me. I just hope with the delayed boarding is not a mess. I'm planning to get to Melbourne about 12 and then we have some lunch in CBD and then take a cab closer to boarding time to the ship.

Have a great cruise. We're looking forward to doing another cruise on Diamond next year. 

BTW one of the best waiters we've ever encountered is Ana Joy who was in the Da Vinci MDR when we were on Diamond last year in Japan. She also worked in the MDR at lunch times. I believe she's currently on the ship. If you see her say 'Hi again" from Julie & Rolf. 

Just to check, I gather Kai Sushi is still the only "Casual Dining" option on Diamond. No Alfredo's, no Vines, no Salty Dog? I don't do seafood very well.

With no International Café to boot, it seems that port day lunch options are rather limited compared to the other ships, so it as looks like just Lido deck lunches on port days?

I am not sure if I caught a discussion correctly that the "casual" Vines menu charcuterie boards were available via one of Diamond's bars. Is there any truth in that?

Past experience is that it is the same menu as regular Alfredo’s, just at lunch in one of the dining rooms. I’m not sure it was mentioned in the Patter as an option, I’ll check later. I just happened to spot it on the app when I was checking tonight’s dinner menu.
And yes, today we are at anchor off Penneshaw KI

• Thanks 2