Sun Princess Suite Benefits Waterdown

cjpj

With everyone in the Sanctuary Collection on the Sun receiving (and essentially being forced to pay for it in the included price) the Premium package, the Suite benefits are really watered down. The complimentary embarkation day dinner is a joke, since you can eat in any of the speciality restaurants all you want. Likewise, with the mini bar setup - since everyone has the Premium package, it is next to useless too. Or am I missing something?

6 hours ago, FLAlaska said:

IMO, the current price difference to get a suite on the Sun  is not worth the few extras you get. 

For Sanctus Collection on SUN, premier package includes wifi, therefore being elite means no discount for wifi, just as minibar means very little in this case. All suites, Sanctuary class MuST now be purchased with the premier package.

6 hours ago, FLAlaska said:

IMO, the current price difference to get a suite on the Sun  is not worth the few extras you get. 

Tend to agree moving forward, however, I do have a good deal on Star with the premier package in a suite.

• Like 1

We sailed on the Sun earlier this year in the "Signature" system before the new "Sanctuary" system. The "Signature" Restaurant was excellent in both service and food. The pool area was blissfully calm. We're booked on the Sun next summer. 

What is the experience NOW in (a) the Sanctuary Dining Room - service/food good? and (b) the pool area - crowded? 

6 hours ago, dog said:

For Sanctus Collection on SUN, premier package includes wifi, therefore being elite means no discount for wifi, just as minibar means very little in this case. All suites, Sanctuary class MuST now be purchased with the premier package.

Tend to agree moving forward, however, I do have a good deal on Star with the premier package in a suite.

I got a great deal as well but Im still not sure if it was a glitch but I booked it months ago and my TS is exactly what was sold.   But as I see prices now, I would book a Sanctuary Mini before a suite.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oldarmybuddy said:

We sailed on the Sun earlier this year in the "Signature" system before the new "Sanctuary" system. The "Signature" Restaurant was excellent in both service and food. The pool area was blissfully calm. We're booked on the Sun next summer. 

What is the experience NOW in (a) the Sanctuary Dining Room - service/food good? and (b) the pool area - crowded? 

Given there's been one 5 day cruise so far with the Sanctuary Collection in action, impossible to make any conclusions.  Standard 7 night sailings start today, 19th.  

No doubt reviews and impressions will become available over the next few weeks 

Posts from those in Sanctuary on FB have been very positive so far. Again though, initial 5 night sailing, that ended today.   And weather wasn't the best - cloudy, etc 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrell345 said:

No but elites do as he stated, platinum as well

Correct. However, suites do not, it's not a suite perk..that's literally all I was correcting, as you can clearly see.  

So, a newbie in a suite isn't getting any WiFi discount - which is moot on Sun as suite (and the other Sanctuary Collection cabins) include the Premier Cruise Package, which comes with 4 device WiFi...

2 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Correct. However, suites do not, it's not a suite perk..that's literally all I was correcting, as you can clearly see.  

So, a newbie in a suite isn't getting any WiFi discount - which is moot on Sun as suite (and the other Sanctuary Collection cabins) include the Premier Cruise Package, which comes with 4 device WiFi...

If I recall, eons ago, free wifi was a suite perk. I'm the OP and the only suite benefit that isn't in the Sanctuary/Premium collection is the Suite Lounge and priority laundry. IMHO. So, really, a suite.on the Sun is all about extra space. Although they do have the first suite tier that is just a mini with suite "perks". Definately would never book that. A Vista suite or up if you need the extra space.

Edited by cjpj

I have a group that booked Signature suites on Star back in January when first announced...got GREAT PRICES back then.

Since they're introduced Signature, opened it up to so many more cabins, changed Premier so now we have the 'old Premier' 😡and looking at pictures it appears the first level suite is identical to the mini suites?

Although the Sanctuary mini suites don't have access to the lounge, only difference I can see?

Glad to be getting some reviews on this category.

TYIA

3 hours ago, cjpj said:

If I recall, eons ago, free wifi was a suite perk. I'm the OP and the only suite benefit that isn't in the Sanctuary/Premium collection is the Suite Lounge and priority laundry. IMHO. So, really, a suite.on the Sun is all about extra space. Although they do have the first suite tier that is just a mini with suite "perks". Definately would never book that. A Vista suite or up if you need the extra space.

Suites also have Priority tender, laundry, minibar set-up up, etc - which Sanctuary minis and deluxe balconies do not have 

And yes, decade or more ago, suites had some free Internet minutes.  Not a discount on Internet. 

4 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Suites also have Priority tender, laundry, minibar set-up up, etc - which Sanctuary minis and deluxe balconies do not have 

And yes, decade or more ago, suites had some free Internet minutes.  Not a discount on Internet. 

Are you on board the Sun right now in a Sanctuary Collection cabin?

Let’s get our facts straight.

2 minutes ago, dog said:

Notice tonight says:  Sanctuary balcony gets priority tendering, use of Sanctuary Club & restaurant. 

Edited by dog

I'll start my contribution to this thread by saying I'm typically not a big spender, I'm not a member of the so-called one-percenter club (or even ten-percenter). We usually just book a regular cabin, usually a balcony. I hadn't even heard of the Sanctuary Collection until recently. 

About 2 months ago my wife & I were trying out a new Greek restaurant here at home in Indiana. On the walls were pictures of various places in Greece (Acropolis, etc.). and she hinted about how neat it would be to see them for real. I just nodded my head, said "yep" and kept eating. She's dropped hints for years about going there (and Italy, where my family is from) but I never seriously considered it, as it's not cheap. But I have status and some miles with American Airlines, so I looked into what it would take to get over there. Then I went and looked at what Princess was offering, as we had sailed with them last December in the Caribbean and enjoyed it. I found an itinerary next May that ticked all the boxes - Rome to Athens with stops in Naples, Chania, Istanbul and Mykonos. And on their brand-new ship, Sun Princess. So I called my travel agent and told her originally to book us an ocean-view room, she called Princess and found that we could get what is called a cove balcony for not much more, so I went for it, along with the Plus package as we do like to drink, use Wi-Fi and have the gratuities taken care of. Then, about 3 weeks later I was on the Princess web-site and happened to come across this new Sanctuary Collection, and found I could upgrade to 1 of the 12 sanctuary balcony rooms for $500 more for each of us. For me, it was a no-brainer as the new Premier-90 package is worth $210 more for the week vs. the Plus, and having access to the Sanctuary Club, where I won't be fighting with 4000+ people for a lounge chair near a pool or a spot in a jacuzzi, and no children is totally worth it!

My wife is totally in the dark about all this, I'm surprising her at Christmas with this trip. I'm going to present her first with a travel plug adapter, followed by 3 travel books for Italy, Turkey and Greece, and then hand her an envelope with a copy of our Princess invoice.

I'm spending a lot more than I normally would, but it's on our bucket list and we're not getting any younger so what the heck. I was lucky, there's only 12 of these balcony cabins in the Sanctuary Class and I noticed they're all sold out now. I might bid on an upgrade but I won't offer much, I'll still be happy with the room and the HUGE balcony with the lounge chairs. Sorry if you folks booking the big suites feel you're being cheated, I promise you won't have to rub elbows too much with the rest of us. We still won't be able to access the Sanctuary Lounge - it looks nice but for another $2K/pp it's just not worth it IMHO..

Edited by IndyKid
  • Like 6

@IndyKid I don't feel "cheated". Just the value of a suite on the Sun does not have the same value as a suite on the other ships. BTW, I'd love to k ow your wife's reaction on Christmas. It should be priceless. Lucky her!

Edited by cjpj
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, IndyKid said:

I'll start my contribution to this thread by saying I'm typically not a big spender, I'm not a member of the so-called one-percenter club (or even ten-percenter). We usually just book a regular cabin, usually a balcony. I hadn't even heard of the Sanctuary Collection until recently. 

About 2 months ago my wife & I were trying out a new Greek restaurant here at home in Indiana. On the walls were pictures of various places in Greece (Acropolis, etc.). and she hinted about how neat it would be to see them for real. I just nodded my head, said "yep" and kept eating. She's dropped hints for years about going there (and Italy, where my family is from) but I never seriously considered it, as it's not cheap. But I have status and some miles with American Airlines, so I looked into what it would take to get over there. Then I went and looked at what Princess was offering, as we had sailed with them last December in the Caribbean and enjoyed it. I found an itinerary next May that ticked all the boxes - Rome to Athens with stops in Naples, Chania, Istanbul and Mykonos. And on their brand-new ship, Sun Princess. So I called my travel agent and told her originally to book us an ocean-view room, she called Princess and found that we could get what is called a cove balcony for not much more, so I went for it, along with the Plus package as we do like to drink, use Wi-Fi and have the gratuities taken care of. Then, about 3 weeks later I was on the Princess web-site and happened to come across this new Sanctuary Collection, and found I could upgrade to 1 of the 12 sanctuary balcony rooms for $500 more for each of us. For me, it was a no-brainer as the new Premier-90 package is worth $210 more for the week vs. the Plus, and having access to the Sanctuary Club, where I won't be fighting with 4000+ people for a lounge chair near a pool or a spot in a jacuzzi, and no children is totally worth it!

My wife is totally in the dark about all this, I'm surprising her at Christmas with this trip. I'm going to present her first with a travel plug adapter, followed by 3 travel books for Italy, Turkey and Greece, and then hand her an envelope with a copy of our Princess invoice.

I'm spending a lot more than I normally would, but it's on our bucket list and we're not getting any younger so what the heck. I was lucky, there's only 12 of these balcony cabins in the Sanctuary Class and I noticed they're all sold out now. I might bid on an upgrade but I won't offer much, I'll still be happy with the room and the HUGE balcony with the lounge chairs. Sorry if you folks booking the big suites feel you're being cheated, I promise you won't have to rub elbows too much with the rest of us. We still won't be able to access the Sanctuary Lounge - it looks nice but for another $2K/pp it's just not worth it IMHO..

PLEASE make a post after Christmas and tell us how she reacts! What a wonderful surprise! I hope the whole trip is wonderful for you both. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, cjpj said:

@IndyKid I don't feel "cheated". Just the value of a suite on the Sun does not have the same value as a suite on the other ships. BTW, I'd love to k ow your wife's reaction on Christmas. It should be priceless. Lucky her!

Thanks @cjpj. Given what you spend on one of these suites ($10K USD for a couple for the smallest one) I think you should get a LOT more). And I can't wait to see her reaction either!

Edited by IndyKid
  • Like 2