Excursions, are they worth the extortionate cost?

NinjaNic

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

akr2011.. just a small tidbit of potential information. most (if not all the ports) we've ever visited ,

there was no need whatsoever to research a cab company. they are lined up waiting.

in some ports yo may  have  to walk a ways, but  i n total $$$ savings, its well worth it.

Read up on some ports. There are fake cabs out there. Many popular ports have unofficial and unmetered cabs. You may end up spending more, or you could end up in a dangerous situation. Ports in Jamaica and Mexico are especially known for this.

1 hour ago, One More for the Road said:

So, you're saying that would be the same for a ship sponsored excursion? I think not. I think you just lost your point.

Personally I think the other poster has a very valid point. Some ship shore excursions are phenomenal. Others are simply reciting information that you could easily find elsewhere.... and yeah... sometimes on signs at the sites you are visiting. Not all shore excursions are equally engaging and unique. Not all tour guides are equally engaging either. That goes for ship shore excursions and independent tours. Heck... I have been to many places where you can download some sort of free audio guide on your phone that are much more detailed than the information given on paid tours of the same site.

And yeah... an experienced traveler could engage in a self guided tour that could be equally satisfying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSar said:

Personally I think the other poster has a very valid point

Personally, I think the other poster wasted $100. But that was their choice. Whether they would have had a better experience for a few bucks more on a ships cruise is really just a crapshoot. But one I would prefer.

• Haha 1

We prefer to book excursions directly with tour operators.  Usually the prices are better.  But even when they are the same, we end up with a better tour.  For example, in St Maarten we booked an ATV island tour.  It was the same price as the cruise line tour.  It used the same ATV company.  When we got there we were initially sent out with the cruise line tour.  It was painful, 20+ people with little to no ATV experience.  At our first photo stop a new guide showed up to take us on our tour.  We ended up with 6 people and had an amazing time.  Went off roading and up to a scenic overlook.  There is no way the cruise line excursion could have done that.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sanger727 said:

We prefer to book excursions directly with tour operators.  Usually the prices are better.  But even when they are the same, we end up with a better tour.  For example, in St Maarten we booked an ATV island tour.  It was the same price as the cruise line tour.  It used the same ATV company.  When we got there we were initially sent out with the cruise line tour.  It was painful, 20+ people with little to no ATV experience.  At our first photo stop a new guide showed up to take us on our tour.  We ended up with 6 people and had an amazing time.  Went off roading and up to a scenic overlook.  There is no way the cruise line excursion could have done that.

This! I often get private tours booking local or going on our own. I've gottenn somany private tours just becauseI chose local companies that have multipleoptions, and I tend to choose less popularoptions away from crowds.on our own, I'll never forget going to Curacao and renting a car. We hiked to the highest peak on the island and no one else was there. Then we drove to Hato Caves where a big excursion group was ahead of us. Their guide had to keep everyone moving. Our guide let us take our time since it was just the two of us. We had an amazing experience. Some in the big group that we spoke with did not and felt rushed or couldn't hear the guide.

Read the description very carefully.  Many of them include language involving a 'brief shopping stop at a local run bazaar' or similar language. 

This means you stop at truly slimy tourist trap trying to sell you all kinds of cheap stuff at 'native craftsman' pricing [which means more than you can buy the stuff at the local airport!] with no water or anything free - where you have to buy everything - and they do NOT let you stay on the bus.  And you will be there AT LEAST an HOUR!

So if you don't want to be overcharged for tourist level junque read the description VERY carefully . . . .

Also - 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 1bighund said:

Last month - horse drawn wagon in Charlottetown - $80 cruise, $25 direct ( Emerald Isle ).

In Portland we did Lucky Catch lobster boat, about $50 each.  Loved it !

There are many cruise line excursions that are overpriced, but those are not good examples.

$80 take off $50 for "free at sea" and you are down to $30. Take another 10% off for a Latitudes discount (and some have an even higher Latitudes discount), and you are down to $27 hardly exorbitant compared to $25.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

There are many cruise line excursions that are overpriced, but those are not good examples.

$80 take off $50 for "free at sea" and you are down to $30. Take another 10% off for a Latitudes discount (and some have an even higher Latitudes discount), and you are down to $27 hardly exorbitant compared to $25.

That's been a point I've noted, also.  You have to see what the "real" price of the excursion is.  You pointed out a perfect example.  Plus, you have recourse if the excursion somehow goes sideways since it was booked via NCL.

Edited by graphicguy