Nervous about missing the boat

Are you taking a private shuttle or the RCCL transfers? For me anything less than 4 hours before departure is cutting it too close, but at least with RCCL transfers they know you are coming.

My family and I are taking the 3 day cruise out of LA to Ensenada next week and our flight from Utah doesn't arrive at LAX until 2:00. We'll be taking a shuttle to the dock, are we cutting it too close?

You may well make the ship before departure, but if I were in your position, I would be as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs!

PLEASE, no offense intended here, but the purpose of a cruise is to have fun! Why book a flight where you have to worry about getting there? A lot of the fun in the cruise is anticipation. Worry is not fun.

Anything later than the day before is cutting it too close IMO. What if you make it but you luggage doesn't? It happens.

I hope you are only taking carry-ons on the plane and won't have to wait for luggage at LAX. I think you are seriously cutting it close on catching the ship. Any flight delay at all and you will be in trouble.

Friday afternoon traffic in Los Angeles? I think you are cutting it way too close and you are depriving yourselves of a full day of your cruise vacation.

However, at this late date, there probably isn't much you can do about it, and you will probably make it in time for last boarding. Enjoy your cruise and maybe consider planning a little differently on your next one. :)

One suggestion is to take the RCCL transfers. You don't have to book them in advance. You can find an RCCL rep at the airport and just board and pay cash or a seapass charge.

Hooking up with RCCI transfers would be your safest bet. The ship will wait for their own transfers. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

Sovereign of the Seas 4/2002

Majesty of the Seas 11/2002

Grandeur of the Seas 3/2003

Sovereign of the Seas 12/2003

Splendour of the Seas 04/2004

Empress of the Seas 01/17/2005

Empress of the Seas 08/15/2005

Tahitian Princess 08/05/2006

One suggestion is to take the RCCL transfers. You don't have to book them in advance. You can find an RCCL rep at the airport and just board and pay cash or a seapass charge.

Normally that's a good suggestion, but I had them booked 2 weeks ago and had a devil of a time finding them and they knew which flight we were coming in on. Especially with that late a flight, the RCCL reps might already be gone if they've picked up all their passengers. Definitely call and book the transfers ahead of time, at least coming in.

This time is way too close especially from LAX to the port which is quite a drive away. It's about 15 miles to the port. In the LA traffic, I seriously doubt you will make it. I would rebook the air and pay any penalties. A previous poster pointed out that the next port is a fairly close drive from LA to Ensenada. But you will have missed your first day of a short cruise, and you will have to pay to rent a car, and most rental companies charge more for one-way rentals.

Archived