Hiding my shopping from the Hubby!

AZPam

I can't believe how rude and hateful some people can be! :mad:

AZ Pam...I am sorry that you have been treated so badly here. :( I think that at least one person, especially, owes you an apology, but I don't thnk that I would hold my breath.

Linda

AZ Pam...I am sorry that you have been treated so badly here. :( I think that at least one person, especially, owes you an apology, but I don't thnk that I would hold my breath.

Linda

Naw, everyone is entitled to their opinions and I've just had a good laugh at some of them! I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one that hides my shopping! :)

Is there any help out there for us kind of women? I go to work on the way home I always shop. I am a clothes addic. I also am becomming an ebay addic.

You sound like my kind of friend!

Linda

Totally agree. There are a number of ladies on this board in general who have strong opinions and "issues". Quite a number of uncalled for responses to a question that seemed to me to be lighthearted.

Totally agree. There are a number of ladies on this board in general who have strong opinions and "issues". .

Of course there are a number of us on this board with strong opinions. If you look at 99% of the questions on this board, people ask us our opinions we just don't offer up random observations.

I don't know what having an opinion has to do with having issues and why is the word issues in quotations?

I'll throw in a different perspective . . . I'm indecisive when it comes to clothes. Often, rather than second-guessing myself in the store, or coming back later to find that my size is sold out, I'll buy the item(s) and hang them in the closet for a week. Then I try them on again at home. If I'm not still in love with the item, it goes back. I'm always careful to hold onto my receipts and keep the "maybe" items in their original bags so that returning isn't a problem. This prevents me from having a closetful of un-worn regrets.

My husband doesn't "get" this behavior. In fact, he's downright annoyed by it. It's easier for me not to show him my purchases until I decide they're "permanant". He's not unhappy with the amount of clothes I buy, and I don't spend beyond our limits -- quite the opposite, in fact -- but I don't want to fight about a shopping system that works for me!

Is there any help out there for us kind of women? I go to work on the way home I always shop. I am a clothes addic. I also am becomming an ebay addic.

"Hello! My name is Gjules...and I am a shop-aholic!"

I spend a LOT of time with my husband...we have a motorcycle and are in a motorcycle club...we go out to eat a lot, go hiking, etc...etc...

If I want an enjoyable day of shopping, I go with my mom and/or my daughter. To me, shopping is more of a 'girls day out' type of thing. It's NOT something my husband and I do well together. This doesn't mean that we don't get along or he's controlling or whatever. We just have more fun together doing other things! I don't necessarily HIDE my purchases from him...I just don't always share them!!!:rolleyes:

Linda

I really was not trying to be rude or a "know it all." It is just people that much in fear of their husbands must have a reason-either their husbands are way too controlling or else they have a problem themselves and do not know how to budget.

I just do not believe there is a "middle ground" and if the post is correct that she makes more money then her husband-and is not in debt then I cannot understand why he is so controlling. That is a big sign of an abuser. If you don't believe do some research.

It is scary to me.

And if they have really been married 24 years-and he is just verbally abusive to her-and this is his only fault-well-- something just does not add up to me.

Yes I have issues. If you had grown up with an abusive father and then saw your older sister also enter an abusive relationship you would have issues also.That stuff never really leaves you-no matter how much counseling you have.

You know, when I posted that I was not trying to make an explosion-I just did not like posts saying I was "holier then thou" and I did not know what I am talking about. I never said my husband is perfect-he has faults also-I just love him too much to go on a messagebgoard and post them.

Once again gals-"no more beating of a dead horse." This is my last visit to this thread.

As I have alread said before-click on my profile and add me to your "ignore list"-then you won't have to read any of my posts.

I guess I read a different post. I thought the OP was saying more that it was HER problem and not her husband's. As I mentioned before, I got the impression she just didn't want to have to explain, "Yes, I DO need one more pair of black shoes...every pair of black shoes is different...these strappy black sandals are SO different than the other 2 pairs of black strappy sandals that I already own!" while her hubby watches in disbelief, shaking his head. At least that is MY situation and I thought it was hers also.:rolleyes:

And now you have all heard enough out of me and I am staying out of the discussion from this point forward. Good luck, AZ Pam...happy shopping and hiding...you've given me a good chuckle, because I can relate!

And how in the world anyone could stand to shop with their husband is beyond me !!! Mine would be bored beyond tears shopping with me. And he would drive me crazy with his impatience...I can just see him waiting outside the fitting room that I just entered with 5 pairs of jeans and 7 tops !!!! And if I bothered to show him each one, he would nod and say it looks great...lets go !! And I won't even begin to mention the shoe department !!!!

People Chill!!!!! Okay, I have been following this thread from the beginning, I just have to put my thoughts as well. I gotta say, some people just don't get it. I get what the OP was trying to say. That's why I don't always tell my husband what I buy as he will say "another shoes or bag?" I just love to shop and I get a pleasure out of it. He has his XBOX games and I probably would say, "you bought another game". That's just part of our marriage and we are both happy.

I'm a shopaholic too forever!!!!!! :D

Joanne

No, I've never hid my purchases or anything else from my hubby.

If I ever felt it was easier to hide something from him, rather than deal with his "not getting it" I would question my actions and his attitude and then deal with the situation accordingly. Sorry, I just can't imagine having to compromise my integrity for a sweater.

I'm coming into this thread late but I LOL when I read your post. I've been doing this for years..........I'll wait a few months to wear the item then when he notices I'll just say "This old thing, your not very observant", he's been onto to me for a while but it's like a game to us now. "Let's see how many things she can sneak past me today".:confused: I don't want to tell him that he really doesn't have a clue, he's naive as far as women and spending goes, but cute and thoughful, still not feeling guilty though.:D I just retired after 35 years with the same Co., I've been a clothes horse since teenhood. I've been spending less lately but I believe I'm just catching my breath. Just about everything I wear on a cruise is new and always a surprise for my betterhalf, I like that smile in his eyes.;)

AZPam try hanging your purchase in his closet, he'll never notice it there.:D

I came into this thread lightheartedly, some of you posters should take a chill pill. I've been married 40 years and yes he "was" a bit of a control freak in our early years, but I took care of the bills and never put us in debt with my "passion" for clothes. It's a game to us, I've purchased shirts, pants and sweaters for him and just hung them in his closet, he would walk out with a new outfit on and just say "This old thing fits again."

We still write love notes and put them in unexpected places........I feel we must have a bad marriage. PALEEEZZZZ!!:p

AZPam try hanging your purchase in his closet, he'll never notice it there.:D

I came into this thread lightheartedly, some of you posters should take a chill pill. I've been married 40 years and yes he "was" a bit of a control freak in our early years, but I took care of the bills and never put us in debt with my "passion" for clothes. It's a game to us, I've purchased shirts, pants and sweaters for him and just hung them in his closet, he would walk out with a new outfit on and just say "This old thing fits again."

We still write love notes and put them in unexpected places........I feel we must have a bad marriage. PALEEEZZZZ!!:p

Sushi, there's a BIG difference between a couple who have a running joke and make a game of such things and someone who hides things in their trunk, throws items in the dryer if hubby is on the way in or sends things home with relatives until the coast is clear as the original poster stated.

:p :p :p

Anywho Pam, what did ya buy good this week ?

Found a purse at the Black and White Market that I saw in Cosmo! Love it! :)

Sushi, I do think we must be related from a past life!

I SWORE I would NOT re-visit this thread!! But I just have to tell you all this! I had dinner with my husband last night and was telling him about all of this. He looked SO shocked and asked me if he has EVER said anything to me about my shopping. I replied, "no...it's not about what YOU say, it's just about how I feel." He told me he doesn't notice OR CARE when I buy clothes, shoes, purses...whatever. He has a job and buys what HE wants without telling me and he expects me to do the same since I also have a job. It has been MY problem all along, I knew that, (must stem from my childhood...maybe my dad complained about my mom shopping??) but guess I needed some confirmation from HIM. He laughed when he was talking about me walking in and telling him about whatever great buys I've found and said he doesn't know WHY I do that because he doesn't really care...$5 or $50 for another pair of black shoes...it's all the same to him! I'll bet some of the other women on here would discover the same thing if they talked to their husbands about it. However, I am still a bargain shopper and know my own $$$ limits, so I just can't go wild and crazy!!!:rolleyes: You know...I think I'll keep him!

SO...THAT said...who wants to go shopping???:D

Archived