Laundry

Hi all.

First time cruising on RCC coming up... I know it says there are no irons in the cabins because they are fire hazards, but what about bringing a travel iron with me? Will it be confiscated and I will have to be a wrinkly mess or dish out even more money to them to have things pressed for me?

Thanks in advance. This board has been so helpful already! :)

Travel irons are not allowed.

What you can do:

- get a travel steamer.

- use the steam from the shower to get wrinkles out

- use Downy Wrinkle Release

- Use plastic bags to pack which can help reduce wrinkles.

Travel irons are not allowed.

What you can do:

- get a travel steamer.

- use the steam from the shower to get wrinkles out

- use Downy Wrinkle Release

- Use plastic bags to pack which can help reduce wrinkles.

I bought a steamer, but I can't find Downy WR anywhere! Is it a spray or something you wash your clothes in? I seem to remember seeing both...

I bought a steamer, but I can't find Downy WR anywhere! Is it a spray or something you wash your clothes in? I seem to remember seeing both...

It's a spray, they even make a travel size. You just spray on, smooth out the wrinkles, and let it air dry a little.

I have never had a problem with wrinkles ..... here is what I do.

I press everything before I pack it..... fold it very carefully and put in ziplock bags.... get all the air out (I lay on mine on the floor) and zip.....

I even packed my two formal dresses this way :eek: and they both came out perfect..... also my capris, tshirts, swimsuits etc.etc. That gives me plenty of room for my 12 pairs of shoes - true story.

however, that said - do not take anything linen ! that's a no-no and most other stuff is cotten blend or synthetic.... If it wrinkles - dont take it .

the only thing we ever have done on the ship is my husbands tux shirt so it will be fresh for second formal night.... only like $3.50

THE LAST THING I WANT TO BE WORRYING ABOUT ON MY CRUISE IS IRONING OR WRINKLES !!!!

I highly recommend the pressing service that the laundry offers... I took a lot of linen items on my last cruise & they did a much better job than I ever could have!!

Don't ask me what the prices are for each item, though... I only know that it's 1/2 of the cost for laundering an item.

And be sure to hand them all in the day you sail. They'll be back by 5 PM the next day.

Downy Wrinkle Release spray is great! Such a life saver on vacation and it works great. You can find it at most grocery stores and drug stores.:)

The ship laundry really is not a bad deal either.

I knew that the travel Irons were not alowed on ships. But we took one anyway. One day we forgot to put it away before we left our room for the day. And when we got back on the ship and swiped our room card, it buzzed and they followed us back to our room and took it. We got it back at the end of the trip.

You can find it at most grocery stores and drug stores.:)quote]

There must be some great Washington State conspiracy - I tried everywhere I've shopped for a month...

I just found it online 3 huge bottles, plus a travel size for $19.99; I'll order it when DH gets home with the credit cards :)

>"There must be some great Washington State conspiracy - I tried everywhere I've shopped for a month...

I just found it online 3 huge bottles, plus a travel size for $19.99; I'll order it when DH gets home with the credit cards "<

Have you tried Walmart? I found the regular (large) size in the grocery dept. and the travel size in with the bins of travel sized products in the cosmetics dept.

Linda

I knew that the travel Irons were not alowed on ships. But we took one anyway. One day we forgot to put it away before we left our room for the day. And when we got back on the ship and swiped our room card, it buzzed and they followed us back to our room and took it. We got it back at the end of the trip.

Are you really serious? You got to be kidding!! LOL

I have never had a problem with wrinkles ..... here is what I do.

I press everything before I pack it..... fold it very carefully and put in ziplock bags.... get all the air out (I lay on mine on the floor) and zip.....

I even packed my two formal dresses this way :eek: and they both came out perfect..... also my capris, tshirts, swimsuits etc.etc. That gives me plenty of room for my 12 pairs of shoes - true story.

however, that said - do not take anything linen ! that's a no-no and most other stuff is cotten blend or synthetic.... If it wrinkles - dont take it .

the only thing we ever have done on the ship is my husbands tux shirt so it will be fresh for second formal night.... only like $3.50

THE LAST THING I WANT TO BE WORRYING ABOUT ON MY CRUISE IS IRONING OR WRINKLES !!!!

I need to get my DH to read this.. He thinks that I am crazy for bringing 12 pairs of shoes.. Glad I am not the only one.. :D

I don't do 12 pairs of shoes, but I will second the zip lock bags! People think I'm nuts, but it really works and there is alot of room in the suitcase when all the air is out of the bags.

Music

P.S. Plus, extra protection in case they drop the bag in the water!!! :)

I purchased a box of two gallon zip lock bags at the local Walmart. When we traveled with the kids, I put two of everything in a bag, shirts socks, shorts, etc, squeezed the air out and then there is no room for the clothes to move to wrinkle. I put a nice skirt and blouse in and it came out great.

Music

Seems like every time I go to the grocery store I buy a box of the 2 1/2 gal. ziplock bags (hefty) and end up squirriling them away - and our cruise isn't for another 5 1/2 months! They are wonderful though - everything stays unwrinkled and they are great for putting clothes back into that will need to be laundered once we get home (ever notice how much laundry there always seems to be ... I think dirty clothes must re-produce). Jan

Royal Caribbean has no self-serve laundry of any kind. If you're cruising in the Caribbean, don't worry about a few wrinkles--it's pretty humid and whatever you iron won't look ironed after 15 minutes anyway! Iron before you pack, use tissue paper or dry cleaning bags between layers of clothes and you really won't have any problems!

Tigerlily, Princess has the self service laundry not RCI. My mom was on a Panama Canal Princess cruise and loved the self serve laundry. She didn't have to pack as much as normal for a 15 day cruise.

I hate doing laundry(have teenagers) so it would be lost on me.:p

Archived