what happens if you get left on an island

dicruiser

You're pretty much on your own, and if you don't have your proof of citizenship and DL with you, you'll have a hard time getting out of that port you're stranded in...even the US islands! Hope you got a notarized letter signed by both of your son's friend's parents!

What surprised me last year when on the VOyager- we picked up people that were left from the Explorer the day before. I have read these boards for 4 years and never read a review from anyone who was left behind.

Tell the teen he will be onboard half an hour before the ship sails.

If you miss the ship, you're a castway,

You're there for a long, long time,

You'll have to make the best of things,

It's an uphill climb.

No phone, no lights no motor cars,

Not a single luxury,

Like Robinson Crusoe,

It's primitive as can be.

Plus, if you miss the ship, you don't get a refund for any days missed.

I was on the Grandeur of the Seas in Villefrance and one couple was shouting and waving as the last tender left the dock. The captain pulled up the anchor and off we went with a small rubber boat in persuit. The raft pulled along side the ship where one door was open and they pushed and pulled to get the women inside the ship---she was probably over 250lbs. They got her in and then it was her husband's turn. They pulled him in while the ship never missed a beat, cruising out of the harbor the whole time.

:)

We have seen many people (and crew) miss the ship.

And we have seen many people climbing up the rope ladders as the ship was moving.

The most recent one was last November when we were in St Thomas. Several of us (all cc'ers) were having cocktails in the Ocean Bar on the Maasdam as the ship was leaving the dock. Suddenly we all noticed a young girl waving frantically from the pier. A person in our group took a picture of her. The youn g girl turned out to be one of the girls who worked in the spa. She didn't bother to read the sign as you leave the ship that everyone had to be back on board by 4:30. She had spent her day off at Megan's Bay. To make a long story short, the next day was a sae day, then Half Moon Cay, and finally we were in Ft Lauderdale. That's when she met up with the ship. HAL got her back to Ft Lauderdale where her father met her. It was up to the captain to decide whether to fire her or not. Since we were doing back-to-back cruises we got the end of the story. She was fired and her father was given the bill for 3 nights lodging, food, clothing and a one-way fare back to Ft Lauderdale. We were standing out on our verandah when the father was helping her take her luggage off the ship. She was crying and he was screaming.

:)

If you don't miss it by much, and have enough ca$h on hand, you might be able to buy a ride out to the ship on the pilot boat.

Make sure you have your camera with you. There's no prettier picture than of the ship leaving port, and everyone on deck waving at YOU on the pier.:p

If you take one of the ship's excursions, the ship waits until everyone from the excursion gets back onboard -- they have a record of who is off the ship. However, if you go off on your own, they don't know you've left, and they will not hold the ship. If you miss the ship, you are on your own & it can be costly to make arrangements to get to the next port -- and on time to catch the ship. Give yourself plenty of time to get back. I always try to make sure I'm back onboard 1 hour before sailing.

There was a great review on the Europe board last year about a group who did a private tour in Naples and got left behind. They had to find a flight to Athens and missed a day of their cruise before they could get back onboard. All ship lines have port representatives who could help you some. Their names and phone numbers are usually listed in the daily program on the day you will be visiting the port. I usually copy the name and phone number on the back of business card and stick it in my wallet if we are doing a private tour or just going out on our own just in case. You don't have to worry if you are taking ships tours as the ship will wait for them to return. We have both been on late ships tours and watched the ship wait for others to return on many occasions.

Have a great next cruise.

Archived