All Inclusive Cruise?

mae

I don't consider myself old but I remember not so long ago when the only thing to buy was alcohol and souveniers. Soft drinks, ALL restaurants were included in the fare, ALL activities, etc., etc.. Would anyone else like to see an all inclusive cruise? But considering the recent rash of accidents aboard cruise ships, mainly alcohol related, these will probably remain land locked. Would however like to see less extra charges aboard ships. Go ahead and hide these charges in my fare and include them "free" while I'm cruising. I don't especially like the way the cruise lines are going with this!

I agree. I would like to pay more, and just know that everything is included. I think that would be a welcome change. Then I wouldn't have to consider cost in choosing whether to do an activity on the ship, as it would have already been paid for.

For us, No, I do not want it added in to my cruise cost.

We do not frequent any of the special restaurants as we are very satisfied with the dining room.

We do not use the activities where you pay extra. We are too old to do them now.

The different drinks that are free are actually what we prefer to drink.

I do buy from Seattle Coffee at least once or twice a day.

I buy the alcohol drinks from them and do not mind that. They have never been free since we started cruising in 1989 so that has always been an expected charge.

Photos have always cost money.

I prefer to pay if and when I use the extras on board.

I don't consider myself old but I remember not so long ago when the only thing to buy was alcohol and souveniers. Soft drinks, ALL restaurants were included in the fare, ALL activities, etc., etc.. Would anyone else like to see an all inclusive cruise? But considering the recent rash of accidents aboard cruise ships, mainly alcohol related, these will probably remain land locked. Would however like to see less extra charges aboard ships. Go ahead and hide these charges in my fare and include them "free" while I'm cruising. I don't especially like the way the cruise lines are going with this!
Very few of the things they now charge for were ever available for "free" (JR being an exception) - if you want to go back to the "good old days" just don't avail yourself of any of the extras. It will be, for you, just like it was in the "good old days", for those of us who like the new options, it will be just like the "good new days" for us.

For us, No, I do not want it added in to my cruise cost.

We do not frequent any of the special restaurants as we are very satisfied with the dining room.

We do not use the activities where you pay extra. We are too old to do them now.

The different drinks that are free are actually what we prefer to drink.

I do buy from Seattle Coffee at least once or twice a day.

I buy the alcohol drinks from them and do not mind that. They have never been free since we started cruising in 1989 so that has always been an expected charge.

Photos have always cost money.

I prefer to pay if and when I use the extras on board.

I'm with Alexis. We go cruising for the relaxation, and because of our C&A status, the very little alcohol we drink is covered with the various parties we attend, and the drink coupons in the C&A booklet.

We also prefer to pick and choose what we pay extra for, but never buy the photos, and I usually buy some souvenir jewelry on board if I don't see anything in the jewelry shops in port.

All in all, we're OK with the pricing.

I have to agree with Alexis. I think it's fine the way it is. I don't want to pay extra for things that I don't use. I don't need to have my cruise fare raised so I can drink all the soda that I want when I don't want any soda at all. As for the speciality restaurants, they simply do not have the capacity to handle all the passengers on board. Even if each passenger was entitled to one visit it would be an impossible situation. Cunard just tried that on the QM2 with the Todd English restaurant. They had chaos and quickly added back the fee. The other question is where do you draw the line as to what is included and what is not.

I'd prefer to see the fare raised a few hundred dollars per person and be all inclusive. I just did the Xpedition and tipping and alcoholic beverages were included and it was WONDERFUL.

I don't drink but don't mind having it in the fare, I drink diet coke quite a bit. The overall cruise experience would improve if everything was included and no staff member would ever get stiffed on tips again.

I have to agree with Alexis. I think it's fine the way it is. I don't want to pay extra for things that I don't use.
But aren't you already paying for stuff you don't use? Do you use every included amenity on the ship (rock climing, roller blading, ice skating, mini golf, pools, etc.)? Maybe you do, but I'm sure a lot of people don't.

We are taking an all inclusive cruise next year. Silversea. The cost is only slightly higher after you figure it all in. I won't trade RCI for family trips though. They are too goo with my boys.

I am already paying for things we don't use. Rock climbing, ice skating, mini golf. I don't want my prices to go up so that you can enjoy soda, ( I don't drink it) or alcoholic beverages. If alcohol were included, like it is at all-inclusive resorts, the ship would have bigger problems than there are now. I read a few months ago where college kids paid for all you can drink beer and half of them were drunk the whole week. I don't have any desire to be in an environment like that.

As far as specialty restaurants, I pay to go there because I like them. I'm happy that not everyone wants to pay in that I am able to go to both of them. (Chops & Portofino)

I know that there are other ships that include drinks etc. but these are not the ships I cruise. I'd rather take a few cruises a year on "mainline" cruise lines than only 1 a year on Seaborn, Silversea etc. I'm happy the way things are.

I have to agree with Alexis. I think it's fine the way it is. I don't want to pay extra for things that I don't use. I don't need to have my cruise fare raised so I can drink all the soda that I want when I don't want any soda at all. As for the speciality restaurants, they simply do not have the capacity to handle all the passengers on board.

We also like the way it is now. The soda that was included was fountain and we prefer cans.

###

Paying extra for alcoholic drinks doesn't bother me. It would be nice if cappuchino was free at dinner but it isn't so I don't order it every night. I am OK with a $20 charge for the specialty restaurant but wouldn't want to pay more than that. One charge that does bother me is the charge for many of the exercise classes. Another excuse not to exercise while on vacation LOL.

Let's look at this another way. Do you think the price of the cruise should be lowered, and that more things should be paid for separately? Unless you include EVERYTHING, there's always going to be a question as to what should be included and what shouldn't. Of course, no solution will please everybody.:)

^ ^ Exactly. No solution would ever please every single cruise passenger. :o

Personally, I like it just the way it is. I had a whopping total of 2 alcoholic drinks on our cruise last month. Based on that, it's not fair to "penalize" me and charge me more so that all alcohol is included. As it stands right now, it's perfect. The free drinks are ones we enjoy (iced tea, lemonade, coffee, etc.). The activities included are ones we can choose to do or not do (rock-climbing, ice skating, mini golf, etc.). The food that is included is sufficient, in fact, more than adequate for our needs and desires. I'm not paying more for a specialty restaurant - no way. It's simply not what I want to do when the options available are excellent.

Nah - please don't charge me any more than I'm already paying. I think things are fine the way they are. I don't need Diet Coke or a Bahama Mama that badly. hehe ;)

~Karen

^ ^ Exactly. No solution would ever please every single cruise passenger. :o

Personally, I like it just the way it is. I had a whopping total of 2 alcoholic drinks on our cruise last month. Based on that, it's not fair to "penalize" me and charge me more so that all alcohol is included. As it stands right now, it's perfect. The free drinks are ones we enjoy (iced tea, lemonade, coffee, etc.). The activities included are ones we can choose to do or not do (rock-climbing, ice skating, mini golf, etc.). The food that is included is sufficient, in fact, more than adequate for our needs and desires. I'm not paying more for a specialty restaurant - no way. It's simply not what I want to do when the options available are excellent.

Nah - please don't charge me any more than I'm already paying. I think things are fine the way they are. I don't need Diet Coke or a Bahama Mama that badly. hehe ;)

~Karen

Would you be willing to pay less than you are paying now, and have some things that are currently included then cost an extra fee?

I think a lot of this discussion is that people are used to the way it is now, and just don't want to change it, which is fine. It's not necessarily good or bad the way it is, it's just that people are used to it.

Paying extra for alcoholic drinks doesn't bother me. It would be nice if cappuchino was free at dinner but it isn't so I don't order it every night. I am OK with a $20 charge for the specialty restaurant but wouldn't want to pay more than that. One charge that does bother me is the charge for many of the exercise classes. Another excuse not to exercise while on vacation LOL.

I might go if they didn't charge. I'm with you....what a darn good excuse to skip it. I just use the stairs instead.

The way I view the issue is that I don't want to see the quality and selection of things that I enjoy eroded in order to keep prices low. The all inclusive cruise has never existed if that means that there are never ever extra charges for anything you decide to do. Seabourn was about as close as I've come but there are still charges for tours, spa treatments, etc. What bothers me is when the quality of the product goes down in order to keep the cruise fare, the price of admission, as low as possible. I'd much rather keep the quality and selections the same and allow the price to go up to pay for it.

I'd prefer to see the fare raised a few hundred dollars per person and be all inclusive. I just did the Xpedition and tipping and alcoholic beverages were included and it was WONDERFUL.

I don't drink but don't mind having it in the fare, I drink diet coke quite a bit. The overall cruise experience would improve if everything was included and no staff member would ever get stiffed on tips again.

I'm not asking this question to be snarky, but rather because I don't understand. Why would you be okay with paying a few hundred dollars more for a cruise that incldued alcohol drinks when you don't drink? That means you are paying for someone else's alcohol, in unlimited quantities if it's all-inclusive.

Do you really think that the overall quality would go up by including these things? I'm not sure I see how. The revenue would probably be about the same overall, so RCI would have no incentive to raise the quality of anything they currently offer. As for tips, I've not heard that those lines that include them in the cruise fare (or as an add-on mandatory charge) have any better or worse service than those that don't.

I really am just curious because my DH doesn't drink alcohol. We do not want our cruise fare raised so that we can pay for others can drink more.

I have no problem paying for only the extras we want and keeping the cruise fare lower.

beachchick

I'm not asking this question to be snarky, but rather because I don't understand. Why would you be okay with paying a few hundred dollars more for a cruise that incldued alcohol drinks when you don't drink? That means you are paying for someone else's alcohol, in unlimited quantities if it's all-inclusive.

Do you really think that the overall quality would go up by including these things? I'm not sure I see how. The revenue would probably be about the same overall, so RCI would have no incentive to raise the quality of anything they currently offer. As for tips, I've not heard that those lines that include them in the cruise fare (or as an add-on mandatory charge) have any better or worse service than those that don't.

I really am just curious because my DH doesn't drink alcohol. We do not want our cruise fare raised so that we can pay for others can drink more.

I have no problem paying for only the extras we want and keeping the cruise fare lower.

beachchick

Well *I* do drink and I figured it out. The cost for the all inclusive (which as one wag mentioned does not really include all) is about the same after I figure in the cost of alcohol and extras. Gene does not drink and even with the soda's included it's not that much more.

Smaller ships

Better food

More personal service

Interesting Itineraries

Added extras that make it worth it.

Some people pay extra for a suite on RCI. Silversea regualar rooms are about the same as a suite on RCI. Different strokes.

We are taking an all inclusive cruise next year. Silversea. The cost is only slightly higher after you figure it all in. I won't trade RCI for family trips though. They are too goo with my boys.

Not sure I agree............but it may be true for you.........I don't drink but maybe one or two drinks a day..........I have examined SilverSea because some of our friends cruise them exclusively........for us I can't justify the cost........

I laid down an Eastern Caribbean cruise and tried (hard to do) to compare them as best I could and the Silver Seas costs ran between 30 and 40% higher.....

I too like the OPTIONS........go to Chops or don't.........buy Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream or don't..........go to JR's or don't....

I remember the "old days" of cruising as well...........but I'm not sure those are better days all the way around.

Jim

Right now there are two lines that are almost all inclusive and a two more that are close. Sea Dream Yacht Club and Regent are very close to all inclusive. The only things not covered are shore excursions and spa treatments. Silverseas and Seabourne are close but not there yet.

A very good friend of mine went on a Silversea cruise last Thanksgiving. It was a gift from her inlaws, and they took no children. Ship was smaller, but very nice and she said they were very pampered. All drinks were included, and you could order anything, including cocktails in your cabin. She said you could lay by the pool and flip a little flag up on your chair, and there would be an attendant there within seconds. :)

One of the cruise shows that aired last week on Travel Channel talked about Silversea.

A very good friend of mine went on a Silversea cruise last Thanksgiving. It was a gift from her inlaws, and they took no children. Ship was smaller, but very nice and she said they were very pampered. All drinks were included, and you could order anything, including cocktails in your cabin. She said you could lay by the pool and flip a little flag up on your chair, and there would be an attendant there within seconds. :)

One of the cruise shows that aired last week on Travel Channel talked about Silversea.

I was never interested in doing Silversea. I feel special every time I go on Royal Caribbean.

But you sure got me with the little flag. One day I may try Silversea just so I can flip a flag. I'm not kidding either. Sounds like fun.

Of course I don't do the pool since I prefer to avoid the sun. But for the whole different experience, I'd give it a try.

It's just hard to break away from something that we like so much - RCI. We'll be diamond members after August, making it that much harder to want to reserve on another line.

the only one who makes out on all-inclusive is the cruise line. I like not having alochol included; some crusies we drink quite a bit. This time I'll be pregnant so none for me and I'm glad I won't have to pay for something I won't be drinking. As for speciality restuarants they were free before because they didn't exist. I would love to see an all inclusive priced any where near rccl that included a resturant that is up to par with chops. Also, many all-inclusive land based resorts close the bars or most of the bars early, by like 10 pm. That is how they save money. I am happy with the way it is. Some places offer an optional all-inclusive package maybe that would work for some people on rccl?

Archived