Help Please - Precruise FLL Boat Show Weekend

CruisinFinsUp

Hi,

We need one night in FLL October 28 2006 for a family of 4. We don't need lots of amenities - its one night and our flight to FLL comes in at 6:45 pm - just want something clean and safe and hopefully not miles and miles away from the Port as I don't want to spend a lot of time driving around.

Princess offers precruise hotel at the Marriott North - it seems pretty far north on the map - would the FLL experts be able to tell me how long of a drive it would be from the airport to the hotel on a Saturday night and again Sunday am to the port??? I'm trying to decide if I should just take it and be happy I have a hotel, or search for something else.

Any ideas? All help is MUCH appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!

Well, if its Boat Show weekend, accommodation is a big problem!! The reviews seem quite good. Probably twenty minutes at most from the port. Although during the Boat Show there is a lot of traffic around the Port area. Are Princess including the transfers?

Yes they are including transfers FLL to hotel, and hotel to ship, and its expensive, but not too bad considering what else if out there that weekend. The hotel itself looks ok.

I'm just concerned that it'll be an hour drive each way. It looks like you can take the 95 up and back and then the 595? out to the port, but having driven the 95 many a time, that ain't sayin much.

Is 20 min for Sat night and Sun am realistic? If so, I might just take it. At least its a Princess booking and I can hope for the best with it - I'm afraid with a late arrival (flight in at 6:30) that if the hotel is overbooked they'll bump me (yes we'll check in by phone from toronto before we leave, but still!!!!).....

Any other thoughts please?

Hi toddler - is 20 mins realistic? Maybe half an hour. I very rarely go on I-95 - I would just go on Andrews Avenue all the way down!!

But even if its an hour - and I doubt that - you probably won't find anywhere else. Of course, you could try Lauderdale by the Sea. I was told that the something Shores on A1A was clean, acceptable and very reasonable. The taxi to the port would be about $30 though!!

I would take the Marriot. No hassles with cabs etc.

20 minutes is very realistic for your times of travel. I've made it from Cypress Creek to the airport in under 15.

Standard Marriott located in an office park environment. Lots of dining options about 1/4 mile away. All night Moonlight Diner, Hooters, and my favorite, Champps. Maybe hotel will shuttle you.

Even though it is the boat show weekend, I would shop around and see if you can get a better deal than what Princess is offering. The cruise line hotel package is usually an expensive option. It's worth renting a car just to avoid the transfers for 4 people. Look at some of the nearby Ft. Lauderdale suburbs - Plantation, Weston, Tamarac, etc. I looked on the Hilton website at the Hampton Inn in Tamarac (Commercial Blvd west of I-95) and found a rate for 1 room/2 adults on Oct. 28th for $139 plus tax. Depending upon the time of day and traffic, you can drive from the airport to the hotel in 20 -30 minutes.:)

We just bid and were accepted on Priceline for Oct 28th . We bid $100 for a 3* Downtown or Airport and received the Sheraton. Total $119 including taxes. We have stayed there before and were very comfortable. Close to the port.

Jan In Maine.... small world, we are formerly from Maine and moved to the West Coast 9 years ago. My husband attend Bangor Community College decades ago. We will also be boarding a ship on Oct 29 but we are on Caribbean Princess. I have enjoyed your posts on the New England board. DH was a police officer and I was waiting tables in Bar Harbor when we married.

I stayed there a couple of years ago. It is by no means an hour drive. It is around 20 minutes from the air port. It is a nice hotel.

Archived