Which seating time do you recommend...

early or late? usually eat dinner at 7-8pm, but we have heard that there can be a lot of dead time from the time you get back on the ship and dinner. we also plan on going out after dinner to either clubs or shows.

We always get the late seating, that dead time is the perfect time for a nap and then we leisurely get ready for dinner, usually leaving the room early for a pre-dinner drink and some people watching. I don't want to rush back from a port to hurriedly get ready for dinner.

Also either seating will allow you to attend all the shows. They have separate ones for early or late seating. Read the daily paper as some of the shows for the late seating are actually before dinner.

Also the late seating usually has less children.

early or late? usually eat dinner at 7-8pm, but we have heard that there can be a lot of dead time from the time you get back on the ship and dinner. we also plan on going out after dinner to either clubs or shows.
Just the two of you on your honeymoon? Late seating.

FI keeps saying that he wants the early seating because he doesn't want to eat late for some unknown reason. I like the idea of taking and nap (he doesn't) and people watching. Trying to convince him that late is better.

Tell him that most of the families on board ( those with younger children) usually pick the early seating so the little ones can get to bed and it is definitely more adult with the late seating. We had a 4 year old at the next table a couple of years ago who for the first couple nights had a meltdown at dinner each night and the parents took turns taking him out of the dining room. When they didn't show up the 4th night the others at their table explained they had switched to the early seating. Also friends who got "stuck" with the early seating said every night they felt rushed not only getting ready for dinner but during the actual dinner since the staff needs to setup and prepare for the late seating guests. Good luck convincing him!!!

I have always enjoyed first seating, and found myself in same situation with GF wanting second seating. I have cruised six or seven times and find first seams to “fit” better for my schedule.

I doubt that you will be able to convince him, but if he is smart he will change it anyway (I did!) Just let him know that there will be “big rewards” from you if he changes it! ;)

Also earlier seating allows food to settle so you can make room for the midnight buffets :D

We like late seating so we do not have to rush when back to the ship... we like to sit on deck for sail away when when we leave port rather than make a mad dash to get ready for dinner.

We always do the late seating, works out really well, gives you plently of time to get ready after a day in port, and don't worry about going hungrey, food is plentiful, and always available!

Have fun:)

Angie, when I cruise with my kids (kids, HA! They are 18 and 20), we definitely prefer early/main seating. We don't feel rushed to get ready, and we love all of the time after dinner for the show, the entertainment, the pool deck parties, etc.

The one time I cruised without my kids and with an adult (click on the link in my signature if you dare - it's not all there, but you'll get an idea), we ate at the late seating, and it was perfect.

That's why I suggest the late seating for the two of you. :)

We just returned from a Grandeur cruise. We always choose early seating because DH has low blood sugar and can't wait until 8:30 to eat.

We talked to others who ate late and they didn't like it because they had to choose most nights between the main show (10:15) and the other very good adult activities which occurred at the same time in the South Seas Lounge. I think 2 times they saw their show before dinner.

When we sailed on Mariner, I think the late seating diners always saw their show before their dinner which did away with the above problem.

If its just the two of you with no kids I would recommend the late seating.

1. Less kids--more adult atmosphere

2. You can spend more time in port

3. Gives you a chance to catch a quick nap

4. The waiters are more relaxed by the end of the night

5. You have more time to get ready (especially helpful on formal nights)

6. Gives you a chance to stop by the champagne bar for a pre-dinner cocktail

Grandeur of the Seas 9/06

Grandeur of the Seas 9/05

We also like the late seating, 6 PM is way too early for us to eat. Also, we like to have some time for swimming, then change for dinner and have a nice pre-dinner drink in one of the lounges.

However, I don't really like it how they move the dinner times for the Med cruises. And then most of the time the show is before dinner which I find weird, it then feels more like a matinee.

Marc

We've done both late and early seating. Sometime's I'll let the itenerary dictate which seating I ask for. However, for the most part we prefer early seating. Most of the time we're cruising when most kids are in school so children aren't much of an issue. There are a lot of elderly people who prefer to eat earlier rather than later as well. In all honesty, I've never noticed that many more kids during first seating than at the second seating.

We prefer first seating because we like to eat a little earlier and then have the evening to relax and unwind from the days events. Maybe a drink at the bar, maybe a little desert from somewhere on the ship, maybe just relax on the balcony and have room service bring us some fruit and cheese for a lite snack. It also gives us time for dinner to digest before trying to go to sleep. As mentioned, it leaves a little room for the midnight buffet as well. While I've never had them run out of any dish at second seating, by taking main seating that should never even be a concern.

It really just depends on what you like and what you're comfortable with. Some like to linger in port until the last dog dies, running like crazy trying to make the ship before they pull up the gangway. Others don't mind getting back to the ship before it pulls out in order to make dinner in the main dining room. Still others will grab dinner at one of the alternative restaurants (depends on the ship your on) if they have early seating and want to hang out in port a little longer. The only way you'll ever really know which fits you best is to try it one way this cruise and then try the other way on the next cruise. Then you'll have an idea which works best for you.

Angie.. honeymoon cruise... and you're giving him a say in the matter??:eek:

You realize you'll be setting a precedent... letting him think he has input into major family decision... that's a no-no... Just TELL him you're doing late seating:D ...

Just kidding of course... I have always done early seating in the past with the ex... it's ok... but there were some times that i felt rushed to get ready for dinner... wanted that extra half hour to unwind at the pool... this cruise, i'm trying the late seating... of course, its my first cruise without the ex, so i finally have some say in the matter:D ....

Either way... i'm sure you'll enjoy

We've always done late seating for the reasons mentioned above, more time in ports, naps, etc... of course we are never hungry for the midnite buffets, but I think they only have them once or twice a cruise now anyway, and if you go, you'll find room if something looks yummy enough.....

Another reason there are less kids at the late seating is many people do what we do with our 8 yr old grandson, since it's not reasonable to expect him to sit quietly in the dining room through all those courses every night, we bring him the first nite so he sees it, then after that we feed him somewhere else on the ship and take him to the kid's program from 7 till after dinner. We usually pick him up and bring him back to the dining room in time for dessert except last year he found out he can stay with the kids till 1:00AM for a babysitting fee so now he doesn't want to leave till then. The kids program isn't open during early dinner seating.

From a man's point of view as others have said depends. We have cruised with kids with out ate late and early. What I can give you are pos & cons of both. To say one is better, only you can decide.

Early

You tend to be rushed from shore trips. A lot the ship leaves at 5 or 6 and you can miss leaving the port. Sometimes this can be very nice way to end the visit.

After being done eating early you do have the rest of the evening to enjoy. Eating late you can sometime be tired you are generally done by 9:30 10:00.

Late

Don't have to rush back to the ship or after a day of fun. The pool area generally calers out and its a nice time to relax.

You can spend time touring the ship, the shows for early late seating are some times before dinner.

You can have a late afternoon snake and it won't ruin you meal.

Regardless of which you coose you can still eat a nice sit down meal at the WindJammer which can be quiet nice. It is usually quiet and not crowded. I would suggest you try this at least once.

I feel it really depends on what time you are used to eating at home. I generally eat about 5, so the early seating would be my preference. Then I can have a snack at about 10.

I have decided that I prefer early seating. I have found that with a late seating, unless I can manage to stay up until at least 2:00 a.m. I am too stuffed to sleep well, as we get older we need time for that food to settle.

Is there a snake bar someplace on the ship that I don’t know about? Are the snakes flown in fresh? I think I would like to try the cobra or maybe a little rattler before dinner, anyone else? :D

I understand they taste "just like chicken"!!

Archived