HAL vs RCCL

Have sailed with both RCCL and HAL ( really love HAL), but booked a suite with RCCL because of price difference of $2,000.00. Now I'm not sure I should stay with RCCL because HAL has more perks, like special embartation for suite guests, Neptune Lounge, hugh hydro pool, early tender privilages, etc. Am I missing any perks from RCCL that I'm not aware of? Still on the fence if I should book with HAL instead. Any suggestions?

What category of suite did you book with RCI and perhaps we can help you? Btw, I cruise both lines also, but prefer HAL. I have not cruised in a suite with either line yet, but have a future booking with RCI in a suite. Which ship are you booked on with RCI?

Marie

RCCL does have priority embarkation and disembarkation if you are in a GS or above. They also offer this to diamond members. We have sailed both lines and we prefer rccl because of the activities and the beauty of their ships. If you really love HAL, you will probably find rccl too busy for you. HAL is quieter and much more laid back. I like more choices of activities so I was bored on HAL but my good friend loves it because she doesn't like all the nightlife etc.

Have sailed with both RCCL and HAL ( really love HAL), but booked a suite with RCCL because of price difference of $2,000.00. Now I'm not sure I should stay with RCCL because HAL has more perks, like special embartation for suite guests, Neptune Lounge, hugh hydro pool, early tender privilages, etc. Am I missing any perks from RCCL that I'm not aware of? Still on the fence if I should book with HAL instead. Any suggestions?

A suite (not a junior suite) gives you concierge lounge privileges on RCI on the ships that offer one. Nicer than Neptune IME because of the no charge cocktails in the early evenings, no kids allowed after 6pm and no TV. WHat the Neptune does better is the food offered there, much better than on RCI.

You also get early embark and debark privileges.

Do not expect the traditional services and atmophere you enjoy on HAL. RCI is energetic and enthusiastic. More announcements, lobby "sales" for logo items and other cheap trinkets, a pirate's parade of little kids through the dining room one evening and some prerecorded music on others.

Service in my suite a few months ago on HAL was outstanding:D. I have had suites several times on RCI and not had that level of service.

We had a cocktail party for 8 people catered at no charge on our balcony, including table set up with linens and proper wine glasses.

HAL and RCI (especially if you have booked Voyager class or Freedom) are very different. RCI is also more casual with more folks disregarding the dress code. On HAL, passengers were turned away in the PG for not having sport coats on for informal night dinner. Overall, the atmosphere was more sedate and elegant and, even though it was over spring break on a Vista class ship, kids were not an issue. My last few cruises on RCI have been adversely affected by unruly and unsupervised kids and teens in areas where they are not supposed to be.:(

RCI offers a more vibrant nightlife IMO and better fitness facilities, sauna and steam. Also there are the standard pool games, etc, and an overall more active feel to the ships.

Radiance class ships are gorgeous IMO and far prettier than HALs Vista class ships. They also pack on more passengers.

Over the past 10 years i have taken 10 cruises on HAL. Just recently i took my first on RCL ( Voyager of the seas ). The reason i booked this one was really for the cabin. I saw something on the travel channel which showed the PR cabin and since i thought it would be different, we tried that.

Both are excellent cruise lines, the only real difference i noticed was the food choices on HAL. They seemed to have better menues but the food on RCL was great also. We especially enjoyed having a johnny rockets aboard.

Also HAL formal nights seemed to be more formal. Overall the passangers were younger on RCL. The pricing appeared to be better on RCL.

Personally, we found much more to do aboard Voyager. We enjoyed the ship and cabin so much, i just booked 2 more on RCL for 2007.

As far as embarkation and disembarkation goes, i think the RCL went much smoother and quicker, although my experience might be strictly the days i traveled.

Once again, both are great cruise lines.

Thank you all for responding although I'm still unsure if I should stay with RCI since both lines have many plusses (especially on HAL, they do all my laundry for free). I'm sailing on Brilliance. My stateroom is a grand suite. THANK YOU AGIAN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

I've been on both lines too. The Brilliance is a Radiance Class ship. I don't think you will go wrong choosing it. It's by far my favorite ship class. I personally wouldn't rule them out over the choice to use the Neptune Lounge (which frankly anyone can walk in on HAL) and priority embarkment/disembarkment. They do not have a huge hydro pool on the Brilliance but do have pretty nice spa services. I'd say try it - you'll like. :D

The Brilliance is truly a beautiful ship. Very elegant.

Caviargirl is accurate in most of her comparisons, except very recently RCCL has started controlling unruly teens and pax, but if you are not cruising during traditional school holidays, the number of teens, etc. would be less.

The perks are similar, but no laundry service.

In the end, it's a personal choice, but I would do it just for the change of pace and the ship.

The Brilliance is truly a beautiful ship. Very elegant.

Caviargirl is accurate in most of her comparisons, except very recently RCCL has started controlling unruly teens and pax, but if you are not cruising during traditional school holidays, the number of teens, etc. would be less.

The perks are similar, but no laundry service.

My favorite perk on HAL was not the Neptune Lounge (it was not convenient to my suite) but being to use the Pinnacle Grill every day for breakfast. I was able to completely avoid buffets (hate them) and mostly avoid the dining room as we did PG for dinner 6 of 7 nights.

I am happy to hear that RCI is getting better about controlling kids. I did not see that 4 weeks ago on Sovereign but perhaps on longer cruises on ships with the Solarium, they are doing a better job. I hope they really make it work!

I agree that Brilliance is a beautiful ship!

is what we have booked for Feb 2008, in a Grand Suite, to celebrate our 25th anniversary. HAL has not released their schedule that far out yet. I am waiting on Princess and HAL still but I think we are going to stay with this cruise. Currently, HAL is my cruiseline of choice but for 11 nights I am thinking we would like a ship that is a little more lively. My dh and I like to enjoy the disco in the evening and when we cruised on the Zuiderdam it was basically us and just a few other people. We made our own fun, but would still like a little more lively group.

Marie

We recently tried Royal Caribbean with the Mariner of the Seas. It was a more active group than HAL with various ages. I enjoy doing HAL cruises in the middle of the year when I need rest and relaxation. We wanted to have a more active time in the summer so we booked the Mariner.

HAL for us has a better selection for all meals in the dining room. Their breakfast menu is huge and they also have about three daily specials. The lunch menu changes frequently and dinner has more choices. Food is a little better on HAL.

Service for us was the same on both cruiselines. The difference is that the crew on HAL can be a little more serious whereas on the Mariner some of the workers were dancing and singing as you walked in to the Windjammer. This didn't bother me at all; I am glad they love their job.

Rabbitlady

is what we have booked for Feb 2008, in a Grand Suite, to celebrate our 25th anniversary. HAL has not released their schedule that far out yet. I am waiting on Princess and HAL still but I think we are going to stay with this cruise. Currently, HAL is my cruiseline of choice but for 11 nights I am thinking we would like a ship that is a little more lively. My dh and I like to enjoy the disco in the evening and when we cruised on the Zuiderdam it was basically us and just a few other people. We made our own fun, but would still like a little more lively group.

Marie

ExaltHim....We are in Cabin 1100 on Brilliance on Feb. 11, 2008. I think I saw on a previous post that you were on aft like us. Let us know your sail date. By the way I agree...ExaltHim

Currently, HAL is my cruiseline of choice but for 11 nights I am thinking we would like a ship that is a little more lively. My dh and I like to enjoy the disco in the evening and when we cruised on the Zuiderdam it was basically us and just a few other people. We made our own fun, but would still like a little more lively group.

Marie

Marie, I completely agree! The one night I was able to stay up past dinner (I was working long days while on board) a group of about 12 of us went into the disco. The staff danced with us for many songs! There was no one else in there.:) We had a blast but if it were just my fiance and I, I do not think we have have stayed and danced til 2am.

I have considered HAL for a personal cruise but I did not care at all for the nightlife. And I did not like the decor of the ZUI much either!

Seems almost impossible to find a cruise anymore that is a "perfect fit" for me :(.

ExaltHim....We are in Cabin 1100 on Brilliance on Feb. 11, 2008. I think I saw on a previous post that you were on aft like us. Let us know your sail date. By the way I agree...ExaltHim

Hi Gail - We are in 1556, same sailing is you. 1556 is not an aft, but mid section. Please keep in touch. We would love to meet you all :).

Marie

cruzcrzy@yahoo.com

Marie, I completely agree! The one night I was able to stay up past dinner (I was working long days while on board) a group of about 12 of us went into the disco. The staff danced with us for many songs! There was no one else in there.:) We had a blast but if it were just my fiance and I, I do not think we have have stayed and danced til 2am.

I have considered HAL for a personal cruise but I did not care at all for the nightlife. And I did not like the decor of the ZUI much either!

Seems almost impossible to find a cruise anymore that is a "perfect fit" for me :(.

I've been on two solo's(absolutely knowing no one) with HAL and I love them for solo cruising. My dh was able to cruise with me on the Zuiderdam, and my sister on the Oosterdam(separate cabins though). Although, I am very happily married I sometimes solo cruise and feel so comfortable on HAL. While solo cruising I don't need the nightlife.

Marie

Hi Gail - We are in 1556, same sailing is you. 1556 is not an aft, but mid section. Please keep in touch. We would love to meet you all :).

Marie

cruzcrzy@yahoo.com

Wow, Marie, that is a great cabin you guys have on the hump. We are trying the junior suite on the aft for the first time. We usually book a balcony on the side of the ship, but since we pretty much had our choice of cabins booking this early, my dh said he would like to try aft. Keep in touch. Gail

My e-mail is ghadler@msn.com

What is your work on the ship? I don't like caviar but I do like gravlax.

The 'perfect fit' is what you are in the mood for. Upscale food and service or a casual vacation getaway or port intensive (european river cruise). We enjoy each and every trip for what it is. (We like value for our dollars spent.)We found HAL to be very nice but with too little night life.

What is your work on the ship? I don't like caviar but I do like gravlax.

I do incentive travel, land based and on ships. HAL is a wonderful line for my needs as they are service oriented and offer mid size ships.

What I am "in the mood for" has changed over the years, and more often than not is not a cruise at all.

Re cruises, I am a small luxury ship girl when it comes to personal taste but have to catch a really good deal to afford it.

And gravlax is a favorite of mine as well:).

Archived