Am I missing something??

I just don't quite understand what the big deal is about who is the cruise director on which ship. I've read various posts where they go on and on how wonderful or on the other hand how awful a particular CD is. I am ready to get flamed, but in all honesty, am I missing something? I guess my opinion is the cruise director really doesn't affect us or our cruise experience that much.... is it just us? Please tell me if I am missing something!:) (Just don't burn me!)

I tend to agree with you. IMHO, the quality of the cruise director is only a very small part of the ultimate cruise experience. I also have to say that, other than Becky, they seem to be clones... all with the same jokes, some funny, most not!

I just don't quite understand what the big deal is about who is the cruise director on which ship. I've read various posts where they go on and on how wonderful or on the other hand how awful a particular CD is. I am ready to get flamed, but in all honesty, am I missing something? I guess my opinion is the cruise director really doesn't affect us or our cruise experience that much.... is it just us? Please tell me if I am missing something!:) (Just don't burn me!)

Even in my younger days when first cruising, I could return from a two week cruise and not be able to tell you who it was. Now in my older days, I could care less. It isn't that I don't laugh at their jokes, or enjoy when they do a show, it is just that they don't make or break my cruises.

I have to say that when we had Clo O Connor on the Brilliance in 2003, she was so fabulous that I will never forget her or her name. She is the only one I have really remembered in 21 cruises.;)

Clo is off having a baby now. :D

I have been on cruises where I didn't even know who the cruise director was and then did a review when I came back and everyone wanted to know who the CD was!!! I had no clue. One time I "cheated" and looked up the name in a Compass that I happened to have..(I used to save them, but those days are over)

Alaska in '05 on Serenade was my favorite cruise and I couldn't tell you who the CD was if my life depended on it!!!

So no, you aren't the only one who thinks this way....

Pam

We like to go to all of the shows. Since the CD is the MC of all of these, it makes more of an impression. Almost every CD we have encountered has been some level of "fine" - some better than others, but all at least "good".

THEN it doesn't matter.

We encountered one that (according to my kids' amazing vocabulary) SUCKED. It was noticeable, and did make a difference particularly in game shows like the Love & Marriage Show. The thing just LAY there like a dead flounder, instead of being fun. I had never seen a BAD version of this show, but an unfunny and personality-less CD can KILL it.

JMO YMMV

For me, the cruise director will not make or break a cruise. However, we absolutely loved Becky Thomson on the Mariner (our only RCI cruise to date), therefore I can not comment on other RC cruise directors.

Becky made an awesome cruise into an unforgettable cruise for me. She was real approachable and of course, very funny.

I bet you would not be able to go on a cruise with Becky and later on fail to remember her name. That was just the type of impact that she had.

Even if we did not have a good CD, that would not have stopped us from having a great time!

Thank you all! Then I am not crazy after all!:) I do understand though-- that if you had an outstanding one--(i.e. Becky) or a terrible one (i.e. "sucked" a Merion Mom's kids quote) you would remember them-- and there would be a lasting impression. Haven't experienced either of those categories-- so I really don't remember who they were!:o I am glad though, that I am not alone.....

I couldn't tell you the name of any CDs on Princess except for Richard (whose last name I've forgotten) simply because he was so nice to our Cruise Critic group, setting up a champagne reception for us. On RCI, Keith Williams (I THINK that was his last name) was also terrific, as he was out & about the ship and always took time to talk even when his hair was on fire.

Some of the CDs can be incredibly annoying with constant announcements for bingo, art auctions and other obnoxious behavior. They don't break the cruise, but their intrusiveness on MY vacation does get tiresome after awhile.

I couldn't tell you the name of any CDs on Princess except for Richard (whose last name I've forgotten) simply because he was so nice to our Cruise Critic group, setting up a champagne reception for us. On RCI, Keith Williams (I THINK that was his last name) was also terrific, as he was out & about the ship and always took time to talk even when his hair was on fire.

Some of the CDs can be incredibly annoying with constant announcements for bingo, art auctions and other obnoxious behavior. They don't break the cruise, but their intrusiveness on MY vacation does get tiresome after awhile.

Ok, Jean, you are NOT getting away without explaining this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. The only CD I can remember was Gordon on the Radiance and that is because we sailed her twice within a year. I don't think they make much of a difference unless you participate in all of the activities, then maybe....

The ones I really don't get are the posts asking who the Captains are---what difference do they make??? I think the guy that flies us to the port has a much more difficult job to do....If I were to appreciate someone, it would be an airline pilot long before a guy that pilots an automated ship!

I agree. The only CD I can remember was Gordon on the Radiance and that is because we sailed her twice within a year. I don't think they make much of a difference unless you participate in all of the activities, then maybe....

The ones I really don't get are the posts asking who the Captains are---what difference do they make??? I think the guy that flies us to the port has a much more difficult job to do....If I were to appreciate someone, it would be an airline pilot long before a guy that pilots an automated ship!

Oh yeah? Look ME in the eye and say that!! :mad:

LOL, at least I'm (and you are) not alone :D I have absolutely NO idea who our CD was or even what they do! In fact, I cannot even tell you who our Captain was, however on most of our cruises it was Captain Speaking ;)

Hey, Captain Speaking was on all my cruises too!!

I've had some good CDs and some not so good CDs, I remember some of their names. Becky I remember because of her energy, and I remember Ken Rush. As Carol said, the CD can really affect the quality of the game shows which is what I enjoy on cruises. But none would make or break a cruise for me.

Gordon on RCI is the BEST. The CD makes a big difference.

Fair Princess 1994

Regal Princess 1995

Crown Princess 1995

Song of America 1997

Sun Princess 1997

Song of America 1998

Crown Princess 1998

Sea Princess 1999

Rhapsody of the Seas 1999

Ocean Princess 2000

Sea Princess 2000

Rhapsody of the Seas 2001

Radiance of the Seas 2001

Mercury 2001

Sea Princess 2002

Radiance of the Seas 2002

Splendor of the Seas 2003

Mercury 2004

Serenade of the Seas 2005

Grand Princess 2006

Radiance of the Seas 2006

I think a really good cruise director you don't notice as much as a bad one. The activities are set by the cruise director and a "flat" cruise director will make a "flat" cruise, activity and entertainment wise.

That being said, my absolute favorite was Gordon, mostly because he was everywhere and always greeted us by name. Also, Becky was so enthusiastic that we participated in more of the activities just because her energy was contagious!

Pb you and Wrona have my full permission to steal ;) MAN, that guy gets around :D :

I hate to tell you this but Captain Speaking is alive and well, and has been for a year on the Mustard of the Seas. Come visit us as he's a really nice guy.

Please don't take this personally, it's been my observation that most folks who think this way (or even worse "why would you want to dine with the Captain?") simply don't have a realistic understanding of the nature of the job.

Theron

I hate to tell you this but Captain Speaking is alive and well, and has been for a year on the Mustard of the Seas. Come visit us as he's a really nice guy.

Yeah, I know however it continues to brings a smile to my face :D Still, we need to realize that he DOES REALLY get around and I sincerely hope he "wraps that rascal" ;) ;)

###

You folks have already covered the CD and Captain questions that I never understood, now how about the (for me) dreaded and endless, when is the Whatever of the Seas going in for drydock? About every two weeks, in between, how do we get from Orlando to P'Can threads, you'll see the oh golly, I sure hope that "state the name" of the seas gets stretched before we sail on her in two weeks. Okay, slight exaggeration, but not much, and it's all in fun, right? From what I was told by one Chief Engineer, about the only thing they do in routine drydock evolutions is clean the hull. Most everything else is done afloat, and often underway. Drydock time is expensive, and unnecessary for upgrading most interior spaces. That's the one I have the most trouble understanding.

Please don't take this personally, it's been my observation that most folks who think this way (or even worse "why would you want to dine with the Captain?") simply don't have a realistic understanding of the nature of the job.

Being a private pilot and a submariner, I can appreciate both, since all my landings are by hand and in pretty decent weather, I can appreciate a greaser when the pilot squeaks it on, I can also appreciate the slam dunk landings in bad cross winds or bad weather, where the goal is to put it down and make it stick. I've been on the bridge many times to observe when a good Commanding Officer pilots a 600 foot submarine up a dogleg river with only one screw and one rudder for maneuvering. Compare that to a cruise ship with azipods and thrusters in the keel, I've known CO's who'd kill for that maneuverability. I still can appreciate it when the cruise ship Captain docks his ship against a 25 knot cross wind that wants to push the ship like a sail into the pier, and he makes it look like he's pulling his car to the curb. They're all good, they just have different skills. FWIW, I'd love to be invited to dine with the Captain, but if I had my rathers, I'd accpet an invite to dine with the Chief Engineer even quicker.

Archived