Volendam Master Chefs Dinner

robntawn

Greetings,

We are scheduled for our Alaska cruise on 8/23/06, and are trying to determine if we will go to the Pinnacle on Dutch Night or Master Chefs Dinner night.

Has anyone been on the Volendam recently that can give some feedback on both of these dinner menus? MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!

The Master Chefs Dinner is not a big deal, for me anyways, I'd go to the Pinnacle that night.

I sailed on the Volendam this past March for the 3rd time, we love the Volendam, she's a spectacular ship with an even more spectacular crew, you will have a wonderful time.

Master Chef Dinner

I had heard so much about and was looking forward to it on our 15 day Amsterdam Hawaiian cruise.

We got the menus in our suites one day with the words in big at the top: "Master Chef Dinner".

When we got to the dining room, the menus had certain items marked as being part of the "Master Chef Dinner". But nothing happened. I had read sail's report on what to expect. Just once we wanted to experience it just to see it for ourselves. I knew that the Amsterdam had the Master Chef Dinner on the previous cruise so I asked why we didn't have it. Our area captain said that on the last few cruises no one seem really interested in it, so they dropped it.

I haven't heard any mention of it lately. Wonder if they are doing it on any of the ships this summer.

Maasdam's itinerary is so port intensive, I'll be surprised if they do it while in Canada/New England.

;) Let you know when we return.

We had the Master Chef's Dinner on the Volendam on Sunday---the day we were in Glacier Bay. It was announced in the Daily Program, and dinner sittings were combined at 5:30 or 8:15.

That night had the full production number: it started with the tall (paper) chef's hats at our places, the menu was tucked inside. We had the "ballet" (amuse), "swing" (salad), starters (four choices), choice of six entree's, and dessert.

Since I was sitting at the aft windows I wasn't able to see all the dancing and prancing. For this I am very thankful; I saw enough.

I will say that the stewards did seem to be having a good time presenting it.

Is this the kind of info you're looking for?

We had the Master Chef's Dinner on the Volendam on Sunday---the day we were in Glacier Bay. It was announced in the Daily Program, and dinner sittings were combined at 5:30 or 8:15.

That night had the full production number: it started with the tall (paper) chef's hats at our places, the menu was tucked inside. We had the "ballet" (amuse), "swing" (salad), starters (four choices), choice of six entree's, and dessert.

Since I was sitting at the aft windows I wasn't able to see all the dancing and prancing. For this I am very thankful; I saw enough.

I will say that the stewards did seem to be having a good time presenting it.

Is this the kind of info you're looking for?

Ruth,

Thanks a lot for the confirmation...that's exactly what I was looking for!

I also called Ship Services and verified this with a Ms Keller, who is the Volendam POC. Not only did she get me this info, she also sent an email to the Maitre' D for a guaranteed table for 2 along the rail upstairs! (#76). Anyone needing specific info regarding the Volendam would do well to talk with this lovely and accomodating lady!

For the master chef's dinner, the waiters danced around while serving the food. I didn't care for it.

As far as I can recall, the only thing "special" about the Master Chef's Dinner on my Amsterdam cruise in January was the paper chef's hats at each place setting in the dining room that evening, and the fact that a few of the menu items were marked as "Master Chef Dinner Specials." There was no dancing, singing or anything like that.

Has anyone had the Love Boat sing-along on their cruise ... or was mine the only one to get this? It was hokey ... but a ton of fun. After dessert had been served, the dining room staff congregated at the top of the steps. They had a sound system up there, and played a CD of the Love Boat theme. They then led everyone on a rousing sing-along. It was a lot of fun and people really got into it ... including me. Since it was done after dessert had been served, and didn't really take that long, I doubt it interferred at all with the dining room staff's other responsibilities, and everyone seemed to really enjoy it.

Anyone else experience this ... or was this just something special done on our 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise?

Blue skies ...

--rita

They had the Chef's Dinner on the Volendam on our May Alaska cruise. The best part was the crew having so much fun! They really enjoyed themselves. I thought it was fun seeing them perform and having such fun doing it. Good Luck keeping those chef's hats on though!! Dutch night was nice too, but I could skip that - although those hats were easy to keep on - if your so inclined. I hate hats myself!

Thanks.

She 'specializes' in all things Volendam? So, does every ship have a 'point of contact' at Ships Services?

Sail,

That was my understanding based on our conversation. She told me she was responsible for the Volendam specifically, and had the schedule of events, menus, personnel assigned, etc for the Volendam. If that's truly the case, maybe there is a POC for each ship?

I must admit, I am certainly no expert on HAL, but the person I talked with seemed friendly, informative, and quite helpful. Time will tell, I guess!!

• 3 weeks later...

I was very disappointed with the dinner selections on the Master Chef's night. We wish we had gone to the Pinnacle restaurant instead. It was more about the presentation than the food. The dining room puts on a show. It was the only night I did not care for any of the dinner selections. And I'm not a picky eater at all. Things probably(hopefully) have changed since New Year's 2005 cruise.

We had the Master Chef dinner both of our weeks on Maasdam.

We had seen it previously on Volendam.

The singer was so excruciatingly loud that it was painful. I truly mean the noise level was such that I was stunned they didn't tone it down. If they don't lower the noise level, I hope they discontinue holding it.

We had an incredibly wonder evening that night for many other reasons, but the dancing/singing was not the reason.

The stewards seemed to enjoy doing it and got into the fun but I think I'm changing my vote about it.

I originally said I thought it was fun but maybe seeing it once is enough????

I would not go out of my way to see it again.

I'm new to HAL and don't know what Dutch night is. We are sailing on the Veendam (W Carib) in November) and planning on going to the Pinnacle one evening -- but I sure don't think I want to miss anything fun in the diding room.

Thanks for the input.

That is something that they had the Master Chef dinner on a 7 day cruise - especially one that was so port intensive!!

They had it both weeks of our b-to-b's, KK.

They make the dining room only two seatings on Master Chef Dinner night. Our 8:00 dinner was moved to 8:15. That was fine; no problem with going a few minutes later.

They had it both weeks of our b-to-b's, KK.

They make the dining room only two seatings on Master Chef Dinner night. Our 8:00 dinner was moved to 8:15. That was fine; no problem with going a few minutes later.

No Love Boat singalong? God, I hope they do that on my Amsterdam cruise this October. I really enjoyed that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived