Hoonah, Alaska's Icy Strait Point - A taste of the REAL Alaaqsaq (Alaska)

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy

Kathie, your pictures are beautiful! And trust me, I understand what you said about enjoying other people's pictures so much...I woke up early. Can you guess I must be I'm getting into excitement mode since we're leaving on Friday for Alaska? With so much to do, I really shouldn't be looking at other people's pictures!

From peaking at your pics and hearing your comments on Alaska, my guess is that the cruise you just finished won't be your last time to Alaska! Next time you can visit Hoonah! You won't be disappointed!

Koo Hook, you must be enjoying a few days in your beloved Hoonah, before flying to Vancouver to meet up with the Summit...I know you're having a great time, and know the young people must be so happy to have you home and sharing stories of all your adventures! Last year we enjoyed basking in your culture as we sat on the dock watching the traditional dances of your people! I know they must miss you as you led them to the beat your drum!

We are so looking forward to meeting you again on your 2nd sailing on the Summit! See you soon!

Sharon -

Thanks for your kind comments about my photos. I have 550 more sitting in a slide show on my computer. (haha...oh well)

HAVE A GREAT TRIP. Bring back plenty of stories you can share. (Keep some for yourself!) Tell Koo Hook he's doing a Really Good Job. The more I learn on this website, the more I realize how much that is true.

Safe Passage - Kathie

• 4 weeks later...

Hey fellow cruise critics –

I know we’re all learning to have special moments that we can actually keep to ourselves….but does it have to be the WHOLE TRIP???? I’m working hard to stop moaning about how I’m not in Alaska anymore, but I was hoping there would be some more stories to share?

As summer starts to wind down, and more and more ships yearn for a resting port – I’m planning my trip to Alaska for next year! ISP and Hoonah are definitely on the itinerary – and more info is appreciated.

Safe sailing – and loose tongues for all –

Kathie

Kathie, Thanks for the great send off! We had a fantastic trip and this is the first time I have had a second to check in on the boards...I decided I might as well start off on this thread since Icy Strait Point/Hoonah was again the high point of our trip!

We had a great time with Howard on the Summit! We enjoyed the talks he gave so much. What a treasure any ship has when Howard is on board as the Naturalist! He not only has fantastic informaton on the various wildlife which abounds in Alaska, he's also able to convey the very heart of Native Alaskans! Oh yes, besides that, our daughters can attest: he's a great dancer and has a super voice as well!

Now about Icy Strait/Hoonah. My only regret is that we had such a jammed packed day we didn't have time for a crab lunch at the Office Bar! My daughter Kristie did, and she said the crab was fantastic!

We had a morning wildlife cruise with Chris Erickson/Tokk Outfitters along with Agatha as naturalist/deck hand. Their boat is the largest out of Hoonah and holds 8 people so our whole group was able to go together. We saw some whales, but far better were our encounters with the Puffins; Harbor seals and other water birds that I can't remember the names. We looked for bears along the shore, but it was clear they were busy doing what bears do! We really enjoyed the trip and the freshly caught salmon which was canned the weekend before was a great treat! Agatha has just finished her first year at Dartmouth, and such a joy!

We then enjoyed the Native Dance and Cultural Legends show at 1:15pm offered thru the cruise line. We went independent for our tour and it was our way of also supporting the people who work in Icy Strait Point as well. I am so glad because we enjoyed the show so much! It really gives you a glimpse at the rich heritage of the Tlingit people! I also volunteered to take part in the interaction dance at the end of the performance: Such fun!

Since our original tour with Keith/Trekk Outfitters didn't work out (when we had to reschedule our May cruise), he called and said he wanted to take us out for a tour of his town. It was great meeting him and so enjoyed seeing more of the town than we would have been able to see on our own! The views behind the town looking down to the water were absolutely beautiful!

Oh yes, then of course we HAD to visit the shops, and of course still on top is the Arctic Spirt and Kathy Marvin. My husband bought me a beautiful silver bear necklass which I'm already enjoying wearing! I was sorry to find glacier soap is no longer available at the shop that sells soaps etc. So don't wait to get to Icy Strait for glacier soaps!

More later, but have to get going!

Oh yes, if you get a chance to read this Howard: We had such a great time with you on the Summit! Seeing the Orca's the last day on the Inside Passage was the icing on the cake! Sarah and Kristie say hi and they say they had a fantastic time with you at Stanley Park and of course in Hoonah! Sarah even made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare! On more thing...our friend Jim sends you a special greeting and thanks!

Sharon

Sharon I just finished reading your report on meeting Howard again. I just bet it was really great seeing him again. We are doing Alaska again next year on the Infinity and one of our stops is Icy Strait Point. I love that place. Hopefully it sure would be nice if he was the naturalist on that ship next year. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting him last year. He is a treasure. Again thanks for the report.

Marilyn

- smiles smiles smiles –

Thank you, Sharon. I know how hard it is to readjust after a trip – especially when one is as emotionally invested in a place as you are with Alaska - to say nothing about all the demands of one/suddenly/being/in/their/daily/life/again(!)…I really appreciate you making the time to share with this board amidst it all.

Sounds like your trip (at least ISP and spending time with Howard) delivered on all counts. Nothing compares with seeing Nature’s flora and fauna in its natural setting – and being reminded by Native American cultures that we are so closely woven into that same fabric. For a city-dweller like myself, it was a real rubber-band-snap back to see what was disconnected; and, Sharon, I have the feeling that you hear me in that statement.

Now let’s talk some facts about ISP and Hoonah – I am currently planning my return trip to Alaska for next summer, and after Howard’s inspiration, this part of Alaska is definitely on my itinerary. Whether I take a cruise or not is currently in debate as, while I loved all the hours on the water, I felt the cruise line’s timeline and mine weren’t quite in sync.

However Hoonah doesn’t really sound like it’s set up for people who want their daytrip to extend a bit longer. I’ve heard that a couple of the fishing/naturalist/outfitters have units for short-term rentals – did you hear anything to that effect? While I totally respect any small community’s desire to not become overrun with “visitors”…I want to take a whale-watching expedition, AND look for bears, AND walk the nature trail to see which plants do what, AND catch the craic (in the Irish sense) at the Office Bar, AND learn some stories/legends, AND browse some crafts places that are still crafts places, AND find a good flat stone with a great view and just sit there. To say nothing about what might happen spur-of-the-moment! So, did you learn any details or see any establishments that might aid my quest in this matter? Howard, while I realize that this may be a politically sensitive issue, any info you can contribute?

Meanwhile, I’m a “newbie” to Alaska – what is glacier soap?

I would also like to hear more experiences about puffins. Where would the best puffin-watching be possible? I am fascinated thinking about a bird (air creature, right?) which stretches the definition and is so comfortable with the water. Now if only orcas could fly…

Not to stray off topic (not easy for me) – Sharon please let me know if/where you post other stories about other parts of your journey. Seward (and the Sea Life Center) is also on my future itinerary – any input there? Also, any photos????

Take care – Kathie

P.S. Glad to hear that your experiences with Howard were so warm – as if they could be anything but. For such a thoroughly modern young man, he’s also impresses with his ability to reveal an ageless heart. Howard, rock on!

Kathie, I do believe we are kindred spirits! At this point I haven't done a review...again finding the time is the challenge! Actually come to think of it i did do a review of our land portion while my husband was in Surgery on Tuesday. It does need to be condensed so people won't fall completely asleep though! To make my days even more crazy, I found out I won a cruise the day before leaving for Alaska - I'm a TA and won a Celebrity cruise. I didn't know what ship/destination/date, but late in the week I found out it's October 6th on the Galaxy to the Mediterrianean! So now I have to find air/and begin the normal research on various ports! Talk about shifting gears!! So as soon as possible, I'll put my review on the Alaska boards. Each night I'm going thru my pictures and will post them as well. I have about 2000 from my camara alone...then there's my husbands camera, then my daughters as well! Just choosing which ones to post is a task in itself!

We too have thought of spending time in Hoonah beyond a port day. The best way would be to use the Alaska Ferry system, which does stop in Hoonah. It would be a completely different experience than a cruise, but a great one in my opinion!

Oh yes, another good place for puffins is Sitka; and the Kenai Fjords Nat'l Park as well out of Seward.

Bye for now!

Sharon

Sharon –

First of all – surgery (!) – I do hope everything is going well for your husband. However since you’re already planning a Mediterranean cruise, I’m sure yes is the answer to my question. Still, I’m sending positive thoughts his way.

Congratulations on winning a cruise – what a great perk! (Yes, yes, I know – it’s HOMEWORK, right?) I have such fun researching my trips that I’ve often wondered what a travel agent’s life would be like. (Actually, right now, the fantasy runs more along the lines of “…and over on the port side of the ship you’ll see a large group of dolphins” !) My career path somehow got me pretty enmeshed in the advertising business. I do get to travel on an expense account, but I still wonder what it would be like earning my living by making people HAPPY instead of watching them all have nervous breakdowns.

I had to laugh when you mentioned your quantity of photos – (aren’t digital cameras wonderful for the addicted?) I know I probably would have never got mine sorted if I hadn’t taken another week’s vacation after I returned from Alaska. I will look forward to seeing what you choose to share once you’ve had more time to sort and play with them.

And yes, I mentioned the ferry system to Howard – and he got this wicked smile on his face and started talking about getting stuck on sandbars, etc. I have decided to believe that he was either kidding, or choosing to remain loyal to a large cruise line (since he was sitting on one at that moment). But I am brave. Besides, getting stuck on a sandbar is nothing compared to my mental image of me sitting shivering on the back seat of my rental car while a black bear rolls around on the roof and a brown bear peers in through the windshield….

Yes, Sitka is also on my proposed itinerary. Planning on at least 5 days there in hopes that at least ONE day the clouds will part and I will be able to actually see the volcano. (And get a photo of it – right?)

Can anyone recommend books to read? Not necessarily travel guides, but history books or novels or????? Is there a book about the history of Hoonah and that area?

Until I get my feet back into Alaska, at least a measurable amount of my thoughts (and a cascade of questions) are there.

Kathie

• 1 month later...

We've enjoyed reading this thread and getting ideas for our visit to Icy Strait Point next August 14th. We are a party of 8 who would like to do a whale watching tour, but the only independent operators we can find limit the number of participants to 6. Do you know of any one that accomodate 8? We don't want to do a ship's excursion.

Dave and Elaine

My partner and I just got back from the 9/9 sailing of the Summit in Alaska. We did a whale watching tour with Captain Larry of Orca Enterprises in Juneau. His boat accomodated about 20 people comfortably. The best part was the knowledge Captain Larry and his staff had of the area and the wildlife. We saw at least 16 whales on our "three hour tour," not to mention hundreds of sea lions on an island, bald eagles, and more. If your cruise stops at Juneau, I highly recommend this your. You can look up Orca Enterprises via the Yahoo Yellow Pages. Icy Strait Point/Hoonah is wonderful just for getting in touch with a less commercialized aspect of Alaska.

• 6 months later...

Hello,

We will be on the Celebrity Summit that arrives at Icy Strait Point in late May. Any suggestions on best tours and prices. I've looked at the ship excursions and would, of course, rather do it on my own and save some money. Also, I like to get to know local people rather than large tour groups.

Thank you!!

Vashtie

From what I heard last year the ship tours fill up fast, but there are local, independent fishing/whale watching and bear tours in town. Here are a few:

The Galley restaurant books both bear/whale and fishing tours, you can call a head and book or walk in when you get here. Their number is (907) 945-3777.

A couple of websites for whale and charter fishing:

http://dreamfishalaska.com/

http://tokriver.com/pages/1/index.htm

From what I heard last year the ship tours fill up fast, but there are local, independent fishing/whale watching and bear tours in town. Here are a few:

The Galley restaurant books both bear/whale and fishing tours, you can call a head and book or walk in when you get here. Their number is (907) 945-3777.

A couple of websites for whale and charter fishing:

http://dreamfishalaska.com/

http://tokriver.com/pages/1/index.htm

We went out with Chris Erickson and deck hand Agatha (tokriver) on the Icy Lady last summer and had a fantastic time. We aren't fisherman, so booked with Chris for a Wildlife/Whalewatching cruise. To say it was a fantastic day was an understatement and saw variety of sea life including Puffins; sea lions (or were they were Harbor seals???); eagles; a few whales; and much more!

• 10 months later...

For all those wondering about Howard(Koo Hook) he is back from Glacier Bay and working in Hoonah again. You can actually go kayaking with him if you like. He is heading the Kayak Tours for Icy Strait Point. I know Hoonah is glad to have one of their sons back. Don't miss out!!

For all those wondering about Howard(Koo Hook) he is back from Glacier Bay and working in Hoonah again. You can actually go kayaking with him if you like. He is heading the Kayak Tours for Icy Strait Point. I know Hoonah is glad to have one of their sons back. Don't miss out!!

How can I get more info on the tour?

This is an amazing thread, with some wonderful information. ISP wasn't a stop the first time we cruised to Alaska, but we're planning to go again in 2009 and it's now one of the ports I'll be looking for.

I just wanted to thank everyone who's contributed to the thread. It makes fascinating reading, and I'm learning a lot.

Yeaaaaah, Howard...KOO HOOK is back! You don't know how much this news has made my day!

For those who want information for Ora/akraven I just googled and if you go to google and type in something like Alaskan Raven Fishing + Hoonah AK and you will find information on Ora. Contact him and I bet he can give you more information on Koo Hook!

Ora, if you see Howard/Koo Hook, please give him a giant hug for me!

We will be in ISP in mid September. (repo cruise on the Infinity).

Is this too late for booking independent tours?

(I would also like some web sites?):)

Websites: http://visithoonah.com/

http://www.icystraitpoint.com/

http://visithoonah.com/fishes/

http://www.g-wind.com/

I was wondering what a repo cruise is. Can you tell me please? Thanks

Repo=Repositioning.:D

The Infinity is leaving Alaska for the season and is repositioning to go through the Canal, to start their winter season.

We like the fact that the cruise is entirely on the ship, no going to Denali. We have previously done the Cruise/Land portion and it was truely wonderful, but this trip we could not pass up....lots of ports and some we have not previously been to, like Icy Strait Point, Sitka, Prince Rupert.

Thanks, Sea-Level, for all your information and the web sites....Hoonah looks amazing.

Are there any that do more of a land tour rather that fishing and whales? We are doing whale watching in Juneau and are looking for something on land in Icy Strait Point. We are going in September and are afraid that this will be too late for the bear watch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beaniemom: Scroll up to post #471. I asked the same question and a poster gave me 4 different web sites for info.

We are on the Infinity in Sept. I sure hope we can get on one of the bear sighting tours. I did notice that X has a trip listed for our voyage....$199 pp!

Archived