Hoonah, Alaska's Icy Strait Point - A taste of the REAL Alaaqsaq (Alaska)

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy

Are there any that do more of a land tour rather that fishing and whales? We are doing whale watching in Juneau and are looking for something on land in Icy Strait Point. We are going in September and are afraid that this will be too late for the bear watch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is also http://forget-me-notoutfitters.com/.

Are there any that do more of a land tour rather that fishing and whales? We are doing whale watching in Juneau and are looking for something on land in Icy Strait Point. We are going in September and are afraid that this will be too late for the bear watch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe September is a good time to do a land tour in search of bears, which is what most of the land tours are a "wildlife search". I believe Budget Queen went on her land tour in September (?) and had great luck with bear sightings, you might look at her past post.

My husband and I booked the wildlife tour with Keith last August. It was the hottest day of the year. Must have been about 80' and sunny. We really lucked out. The whole week was warm and sunny. We were actually sunbathing on the deck in Juneau. Since it was so hot, the bears were not out. Keith kept us out most the day, determined he would find us bear. We did see one bear at the very end of the day. Even though we did not see a lot of bears, we did see whales from the beach and some pretty remote pristine places. This was our favorite port of the cruise. I will never forget how clean the air smelled. Keith was very knowledgeable about the area's history and culture. I left ISP with a greater appreciation for a very different way of life that I have never experienced before.

Keith if you are reading these post, thank you for an amazing day!

• 4 weeks later...

We also booked with Keith of Teckk Outfitters and would definitely go with him again. We were there late July and saw three bears. Would be interesting to go in May to see what he suggests. They were very good about answering e-mail questions before our trip. We loved this port.

Does anyone know anything about the ATV trip in ISP ? We live in So. Calif. so we can do whale watching here. We're planning on doing the Kenai Fjords all day trip and expect to see wild life on that. We're not into fishing. The ATV ride sounded like it would get us out of the town and we'd be able to see a lot of the island and be different from other excursions we have planned. Is this worthwhile, or is there something else we should check into? We're willing to try anything fun!

Thanks

ISP is so beautiful---you're in for a treat. You said you're not into fishing, but there's also a kayaking tour. If you check the website at www.alaskanravencharters.com you can write to Ora (who also posts on here under akraven). He had mentioned there would be kayaking trips available by this season, so he should have the scoop on it. That's what I want to do on my next visit. We were halibut fishing there in 07 and the scenery is quite stunning. Of course, you can go places in a kayak that a fishing boat can't! Now I just have to figure out how we're going to fish and do the kayak trip both in just one day---my hubby must fish! If anybody does do the kayak run, please post photos so I can live vicariously until my turn comes!

Splashduo' date='

Kayaking is something we're interested in, but it might be what we do in Ketchikan. Anyone who knows about kayaking in both places and could compare them for me would be great.[/quote']

I did the short kayaking excursion with Southeast Sea Kayaks, and loved our excursion. It was a great day and we had a ball!

Even though I've never kayaked in Icy Strait, it should be a fantastic excursion: How could it help but be incredible with the beautiful scenery all around?? You're right splashduo, a kayak will be able to get real up close and personal viewing the amazing sights in the water as well as on the shoreline! Then throw Howard/Koo Hook in the mix; what an amazing way to experience the REAL Alaaqsaq (as he describes Icy Strait Point/Hoonah)!! What a great way to learn all about the land, waters, and insight into the Tlingit culture!

Hoonah Tlingit Boy: Were you aware the first Alaska Native we hired after statehood on the Alaska State Police (now Alaska State Troopers) was from Hoonah? I remember him very well. Nice guy. His name was Bob Willard. I believe his wife's name was Alice (?) My memory is his parents were asociated with the Salvation Army in Hoonah. I have not heard anything about him in years. Do you know?

For all those wondering about Howard(Koo Hook) he is back from Glacier Bay and working in Hoonah again. You can actually go kayaking with him if you like. He is heading the Kayak Tours for Icy Strait Point. I know Hoonah is glad to have one of their sons back. Don't miss out!!

Is there a website for his kayaking?

Is there a website for his kayaking?

Cruisin'mama, (by the way, I love your screen name:p),

You asked if there is a website: Actually Koo Hook will be doing the kayaking thru the cruise line, so if you sign up for kayaking you can check out the kayaking excursion on either RCCL or Celebrity's website; knowing you will be going with the group led by Koo Hook. I know there is a team, and what I understand from Ora is that Koo Hook will be heading up the team. There's going to be a group of 12 going out in the am and 12 in the pm. The best part is that usually ship sponsered excursions are less personal with big groups. That's not the case in this case. The down-side is if people really want to do the kayaking, there's not a whole lot of availability, so signing up early is important.

By the way, the reason I've been in contact with Ora (akraven) is because we're going to be staying in Hoonah for 3 nights/4days prior to our cruise. He has actually purchased the Galley and we're staying in their new B&B. We're also going out with Ora on a Halibut Fishing adventure, and of course since it's Hoonah, AK, whales will most probably be a side benefit as well! Someone mentioned his website; actually for me at least it didn't show contact info. I think the website is under construction: In the meantime, you can get more info by emailing him: ora at alaskanravencharters dot com. I've never met Ora, but he's been great to work in our planning!

I do have one fear: By beginning our 10 night pre-cruise land starting in Hoonah, I'm afraid we're starting with the best...I don't want a let down on the rest of our stops! Can anyone tell that I love Hoonah/Icy Strait Point????

Happy planning!!

• 1 month later...
has anyone done the atv expedition? we have that booked and are hoping that it was a good choice - any opinions appreciated

thanks

I too am curious about the atv, but new to this website. No response, or was I unable to locate it?

Thanks!

• 9 months later...

It has been a very long while since I've posted here in Critic Square - how is everyone, and how are all you lower 48'ers handling the economic landslide? I hope life finds all of you healthy, happy and employed - I am currently thanking my lucky stars and ancestors for having any type of work in our remote corner of this continent! Well, I look forward to updates, and Icy Strait Point is going into it's 6th season in operation! Isn't that amazing? Just yesterday my jaws were on the dock as the floating cities began rounding into X'oots Gheeyi (Brown Bear Bay), ushering in a new and scary future for X'unaa Kaawu (the Hoonah people)...my how times are different today...

Koo Hook

It has been a very long while since I've posted here in Critic Square - how is everyone, and how are all you lower 48'ers handling the economic landslide? I hope life finds all of you healthy, happy and employed - I am currently thanking my lucky stars and ancestors for having any type of work in our remote corner of this continent! Well, I look forward to updates, and Icy Strait Point is going into it's 6th season in operation! Isn't that amazing? Just yesterday my jaws were on the dock as the floating cities began rounding into X'oots Gheeyi (Brown Bear Bay), ushering in a new and scary future for X'unaa Kaawu (the Hoonah people)...my how times are different today...

Koo Hook

I've been lurking here a while, and have enjoyed your posts. Now that I'll be cruising to ISP this summer, I'm looking forward to seeing it, and learning from you.

Koo Hook

We visited there last June and we really enjoyed walking the town. We even went over to the frozen fish place to talk to the manager about getting some halibut cheeks sent home. Unfortunately, he didn't have any and didn't know when he would and we didn't hear from him again either. Oh, well. My husband still remembers them from when he was younger and his Aunt Lena from Kodiak from some with her when she visited. I did find another site online to order them from and even though they are quite pricey, I'm still hoping to order some soon though! :D

Hi MacThespian - I see you're from Pennsylvania - I just recently got to enjoy a bit of that countryside when I took a road trip from Seattle to NYC with my sister, her three kids and a dog - yeah, it was interesting to say the least - but the colors of those trees really made me think of the cereal "Fruity Pebbles" - it was amazing - I'm glad to hear that you'll be getting the chance to experience Icy Strait Point this year, and my hometown of Hoonah - should you have any questions, by all means, feel free to ask, I'm here to shed some light on the many questions that usually surround this Port Of Call - Aat Tlein Gunalcheesh (Thank you very much)

Wolfshadow - So hooked to the halibut you've become huh? What place are you ordering your fish from? I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to our little slice of heaven - I often have to take a step back to really appreciate where I live, and the culture I've thrived in - many of us often take it for granted, especially when we're getting buried under 3 feet of snow (as we are right now) and the daylight is minimal! I hope your spring is springing faster than ours - I put my foot in my mouth when I told everybody yesterday I thought winter was over!!! HAHAHA....

Koo Hook

Hi MacThespian - I see you're from Pennsylvania - I just recently got to enjoy a bit of that countryside when I took a road trip from Seattle to NYC with my sister, her three kids and a dog - yeah, it was interesting to say the least - but the colors of those trees really made me think of the cereal "Fruity Pebbles" - it was amazing - I'm glad to hear that you'll be getting the chance to experience Icy Strait Point this year, and my hometown of Hoonah - should you have any questions, by all means, feel free to ask, I'm here to shed some light on the many questions that usually surround this Port Of Call - Aat Tlein Gunalcheesh (Thank you very much)

Wolfshadow - So hooked to the halibut you've become huh? What place are you ordering your fish from? I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to our little slice of heaven - I often have to take a step back to really appreciate where I live, and the culture I've thrived in - many of us often take it for granted, especially when we're getting buried under 3 feet of snow (as we are right now) and the daylight is minimal! I hope your spring is springing faster than ours - I put my foot in my mouth when I told everybody yesterday I thought winter was over!!! HAHAHA....

Koo Hook

There are some beautiful areas in Pennsylvania, especially western Pennsylvania (I went to college and grad school in Pittsburgh, but I live in a Philadelphia suburb now. I'm glad you got a chance to see some of that, too.

We're in the midst of what we consider a heavy snowfall here--bout 6-10 inches (depending upon what suburb of Philadelphia you're in)--but 3 feet of snow! Wow--that's sure socking it to you.

We're not big fish eaters (in fact, my daughter--now 12--is a vegetarian), so I'm sort of ignoring the halibut parts of this thread. (Ok, I do love shellfish, and so does my wife, but we're not all that fond of the finny variety. I'm the only one in the family who likes smoked salmon, for example.) Ok, enough of that!

I'm trying to figure out what we should do when we're in ISP/Hoonah. We'll be traveling with friends from England; their daughters will be 13 and 15 this summer. Obviously we'll have to take the kids' wants into account. And although I haven't checked much, I do know that there seems to be a dearth of information on activities in the area. And now you've got me thinking I should check more, but if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

That's far too much rambling for one post. Time for me to do something constructive, like pay bill...yecch.

Koo Hook

I have found this site. But, I haven't ordered from them yet. Do you know of another?

Koo Hook

So nice to hear from a local. Would love to hear some advice on things to do on ISP Would like to avoid the cruise ship excursions. We want to feel the history and culture from people who's ancestry is from this area.

So nice to hear from a local. Would love to hear some advice on things to do on ISP Would like to avoid the cruise ship excursions. We want to feel the history and culture from people who's ancestry is from this area.

Hi, Steve,

Looks like you're heading to Alaska too. We'll be cruising up there along with Andrew and his family (so I guess I'll have to dig out those Chelsea rosettes from our Baltic cruise). We'll actually be doing two cruises: northbound on Millennium, and southbound on Sapphire Princess. Wonder if we'll be in any port at the same time?

Have a great trip!

--David

Archived