Hoonah, Alaska's Icy Strait Point - A taste of the REAL Alaaqsaq (Alaska)

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy

We too are booked with Keith for whale watching. If your going to be in ISP on Aug. 1st. Please join us! He can take six people, two are booked so far and his minimum is four.

Copperpenny, thanks for the info. I'll let you know when we book. You're a doll!

Keith called last night. We had a nice conversation. He told me about out options touring with him. He sounds like a real nice guy. I wasn't interested in Bear Hunting:eek: but he laughs easily and I enjoyed talking with him. Can't wait to get there!

Good Morning Prudon! Isn't Keith the nicest guy? Too bad you aren't going with us on June 1st. We are probably going to freeze. I saw somewhere on this board where sometimes the ships are iced out of certian areas in May. I hope this won't be the case for us. I thought getting a jump on the crowds would be a good idea...there I go thinking again! The only port I have not planned an excursion is Sitka. I have called a company twice to ATV while there, but have yet to receive a response. This might be the port where we wing it.

Have a great day!

Hi Copperpenny! I called Keith and made a reservation with him for our time in ISP. He is such a nice individual. We look forward to our tour while we are there. Aren't these boards wonderful.

Nice that you'll be going to Sitka. Our cruise doesn't go there. We are so excited to see Alaska and I'm sure you and the "boys" are really excited now. Not too long and you'll be boarding the ship. :D

Copperpenny, since your there first you'll have to give Keith Tinks and my regards! We Hopefully the weather will warm quickly and you won't be iced out of anything!

It was busy at work today, one day and two hours and I'm off the Philly for a conference. Always fun. I'll check in soon.

Good Morning Prudon! Isn't Keith the nicest guy? Too bad you aren't going with us on June 1st. We are probably going to freeze. I saw somewhere on this board where sometimes the ships are iced out of certian areas in May. I hope this won't be the case for us. I thought getting a jump on the crowds would be a good idea...there I go thinking again! The only port I have not planned an excursion is Sitka. I have called a company twice to ATV while there, but have yet to receive a response. This might be the port where we wing it.

Have a great day!

We visited Icy Strait Point last May 25th and had beautiful weather. Icy Strait isn't a location that might be 'iced out'. That's usually near the Glaciers, specifically Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier. Of course in saying that, do make sure you wear layers, and one layer in case it rains.

We loved our time in Alaska last year so much we're going back! Can hardly wait to visit Icy Strait again!

Happy Planning!

SEPyle, we were there a few years ago. At Sawyer glacier there were mama and baby seals on every little piece of floating ice. Quite a sight! The glacier looks like a frozen wave. We didn't bring our winter coats. We layered and took our spring jackets. The only time we needed gloves and hats was when we were dog sledding on the glacier. Other than that the weather was fantastic. Of course being from New Hampshire, today was so warm I took the car to the car wash. It got up to 44. No one wears a jacket around here when it's that warm. So the weather in Alaska was perfect for us:D

SEPyle, we were there a few years ago. At Sawyer glacier there were mama and baby seals on every little piece of floating ice. Quite a sight! The glacier looks like a frozen wave. We didn't bring our winter coats. We layered and took our spring jackets. The only time we needed gloves and hats was when we were dog sledding on the glacier. Other than that the weather was fantastic. Of course being from New Hampshire, today was so warm I took the car to the car wash. It got up to 44. No one wears a jacket around here when it's that warm. So the weather in Alaska was perfect for us:D

Thats so funny...a heat wave at 44! Actually last year, it was really cold when we visited Hubbard Glacier. There was a cold rain but I have to say, we had a ball. My daughter (25) had too long jeans on. By the time we walked back into the warmth of the ship, her pants were wet half way up to her knees! Once you get cold and wet, what the heck right??? Actually we used to live in Rochester, NY for many years so I know all about cold and snow, but since we've lived in beautful Charlotte, NC for a long time, our 'blood' must have turned southern!

• 2 weeks later...

Koo Hook,

Is that really you??? Is basketball finally over? I assume so since Calif is into championships now.'

Where you been, whats going on? Have you been boycotting us? INFO PLEASE.

"Excuse me...Excuse me....has anyone seen the property manager here at Critic Square? I've seemed to have locked myself out of my apartment and I haven't let my bear cubs out in a while, my whales haven't been fed and I left my Northern Lights on..."

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, YOU'RE BACK! We've missed you and hope you have a few minutes every so often to check in! You just don't know how happy I was when I saw that you had posted!

Not sure if you remember Don and myself, but we came in late May and Kathy Marvin made Don a pair of Moccassins! It was so great meeting you and I can't begin to tell you how much I treasured the time I sat there on the dock as you beat the drums as your group danced to the beat! We're coming back in May and so looking forward to our time in Hoonah!

With all that said: Welcome back!!!!!

Sharon

Marilyn, Sharon,

I don't want to disappoint you, but I don't think hes back. I think he hit the wrong button by mistake. I think he is still boycotting us here in non-Hoonah land!!!

John, did I miss something. I didn't know Howard was boycotting us. I ask this, however in no way do I want to create drama...just wondering?

Thanks!

Sharon

Well for cryin' out loud...how good is it to FINALLY talk with my neighbors once again here at Critic Square?!!?!!! How on earth is everyone doing and who's plannin' on headed up to the shores of the Xunaa Kaawu??? I've been absent for so long from my apartment. Again, I got locked out, left my Northern Lights on, hadn't walked the bear cubs in a while and hadn't fed the whales - to my surprise, Prudon reminded me that the key was on the dock where I was waiting for all the guests to arrive at Gaax' Ayi (Icy Strait Point)!!! AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH Prudon - I look forward to being introduced to you here at Critic Square...

Well, FRIENDS, FRIENDS, and more FRIENDS...where do I begin anyway? I feel like I'm being re-introduced to the whole neighborhood all over again - I send my sincerest apologies for being such a ghost on the block, but life just has it's ways of handing out rubix-cube type scenarios once in a while. There were illnesses in the family which weighed heavily for me, and I went traveling this past fall and winter and did ALL SORTS OF CRAZY THINGS to expose myself to life that is 48'ers (citizens of the contiguous US) style...let's see, I went diving with Great White sharks off the coast of San Francisco at the Farallon Islands (OOTSKANEE!!! *Tlingit for "Spooky"), went and stood on the bow of the Titanic in Rosarito, Mexico, saw Gwen Stefani and Ciara in concert in Cleveland, walked Hollywood Blvd. in LA, did the space needle with the parental units in Seattle...and MUCH MUCH MORE!!!! It was quite the trip - but being a gypsy sure does get tiring after a while, so I'm definitely glad to be back in the cold, crisp, clean air of the archipelago I call home...

PRUDON - Again, AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH (Thank you very much) for telling me where the key was - I was sure standing at the bottom of the building looking up and yelling forever!!!!! I'd like to hear what you have in store for your trip to Alaaqsaq...

JOHNQ - HEY BUDDY! The more important question here is, "HOW ARE YOUUU DOING???" Well, if you haven't noticed yet, boycotting just isn't my style there friend...LOL...but I'm GLAD to be back, and I'm GLAD that you've been wonderin' about my whereabouts - I've given you a little snippet of what's happened in the past year - but you know I always welcome questions - many things have been changing for Hoonah and it's ancestral landing pad that is Icy Strait Point, and from reading the posts, you certainly look inquisitive and would like updates...I'll be expecting TONS of questions from my buddy John...

MARILYN - It has been FOREVER and a day since I've last filed an electronic conversation with you - HOW ARE YOU??? I'm doing great, and I absolutely appreciate the kindness and appreciation all of my faithful newfound friends have given me, and I look forward to meeting MANY MORE adventurous guests who will be washing up on our shores like the seaweed on a sunny day...

SHARON - AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH for being such a great supporter here - and I feel EXTREMELY INSULTED that you would think I wouldn't remember you!!!!! OF COURSE I DO - I won't forget the hustle and bustle of gettin' Don his favorite new foot comforts!!! How is DON???? Is he still leasing space here at Critic Square??? The days are getting longer here, and I'm happy to be back home with family and friends after a long adventurous trek similar to Forest Gump's when he ran across the country...

Well, the third year of operations is coming up quickly for us here at Icy Strait Point, and things are evolving, and I'm still tryin' to comprehend how rapid things have happened for all of my people and the community as a whole. I certainly hope all those of you who had the opportunity to come here were treated with respect, kindness and care - because that is the way the Xunaa Tlingit host, and we should all reciprocate this in walking the same paths of life together...we hope to have you back sooner than later, and maybe this time it'll be for longer and be an even more unforgettable experience (if this is possible)! For those of you yet to step on the shores that my ancestors migrated to 300 years ago when the Glaciers of S'e Shuyee (Glacier Bay) forced our people to flee, I'm excited for you, I'm excited for our people, and I should hope that if you have any questions, ANY QUESTIONS AT ALL concerning your upcoming experience to the land of the midnight sun, in particular this place, this vast and wonderous place I call home (Hoonah's Icy Strait Point), by all means ask and I would be more than happy to help in anyway that I can.

"Ahhhhhh....can you guys smell that fresh air again?"

HAA AANI AYA!

Koo Hook

The season of 2005 ended great for Icy Strait Point

I have been reading your thread here at CC, and booked a cruise to Icy Strait Point because of that and the advice of Lone Star 72, a coworker and cruise advisor of mine. John has only the highest of praise for your destination. Are you still working with the whale-watching excursion? I haven't booked any excursions at ISP and would like to go on any of the the excursions where you may provide your knowledge to the subject. I'll be on the Summit arriving May 31, South bound.

Man, it is great to hear that voice from up North!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back, Koo Hook.

Sharon and I are going to be in Icy Strait the same week again this year. We will have our two older daughters with us this time. Sorry to say, but our younger daughter will not be with us this time. She loved Alaska so much that she will be serving people on the Princess trains from Anchorage to Fairbanks.

Tell Kathy that I have been enjoying my mocassins. They are great!

How has the basketball team been doing this year? I have missed your updates. Also, are you coaching the girls volleyball team this year?

Looking forward to seeing you again this year,

Don

Anytime Koo Hook, (what does your name mean or what is it's translation?). My name, Prudence, means wise and cautious. My parents had high hopes!!! They were a bit disappointed.

We will be visiting your home Aug. 1st. I'm traveling with a group of 12. I've convinced one of them to book a local tour with me. I need at least 2 more for it to happen. I hope it does because I want to see your hometown, meet new friends and experience a tiny bit of life in your neck of the woods. I have found that taking a cruise ship sponsered tour severly limits your intereaction with local folk and that's not for me. Those traveling with me fear missing the ship, I figure there's always a way to catch it at the next port! And if not, what a story you have to tell!!! Life is too short to worry!

HE'S BAAAACK! So glad to really hear from you Koo Hook! No offence meant when I asked if you remembered us...afterall, you met sooo many people last summer, so I consider it an honor that you remember us!

As Don mentioned, our daughter will be working with Princess this year. We considered sailing with them, but to be honest, we chose Celebrity again because of we so wanted to come back to Hoonah/Icy Strait! Please let your townspeople know, besides the beauty that surrounds your island, we're coming because of the wonderful people of Hoonah!

OK, I have to admit...I forgot all my Tlinget words from last year. How do I say Thank you? Please say that to all the dancers on the dock! And a word to all who are coming this year: Don't rush back to the ship, because everyone who went back early missed you beating the drums the others as they danced your people's traditional dances!

HAA AANI AYA (I'm signing off with this, but to be honest I need a reminder of what it means...you're such a good teacher!

Sharon

Yup, he's back!!! Nice to hear from you. You should let me know when you are coming thru No. Calif and we could have shown you some local customs!!! But you still didn't say how the basketball and volleyball teams did? How many ship days are you expecting in 2006? Are you doing one a day every day or so many a week? Take care and welcome back.

WASAA IYATEE FRIENDS!! I knew it'd feel great to be back - and I knew you would all still be here to let me back into the swing of things...YAY! Well, the annual "Tlingit Mecca" is going to be starting this weekend in Juneau (if you don't recall, it is the Gold Medal Basketball tournament where all the village teams come together for a march madness of our own) and I'm excited for the Hoonah teams - we've got a women's team, an 18-24 men's team, a 24-35 men's team, and the OL' TIMERS!! ALL with good lookin' rosters - I'm confident they're going to bring a title to us!!!! HOONAH - HOONAH - HOONAH!!!! Back to march madness, Yakutat, another Tlingit village north of Hoonah recently claimed the state title for the Southeast Alaska region!!!! WOOOH!!!! So, to say the least, I'm gettin' reved up for all the action...

I didn't coach the Hoonah Varsity Volleyball program this year due to the fact that I opted for travel - but they still did well and claimed the crown for the 17th year in the last 18 years!!!!! GO HOONAH!!!! I'm considering possibly coaching again next year - but again, life has an interesting way of throwing curve balls at me lately...

DONK - GUNALCHEESH for accepting the praises by my buddy JohnQ in headed to our beloved Icy Strait Point - it's sure to quench your thirst for all that is Alaska - the wilderness, the wildlife, and most importantly (to me) the culture - I thoroughly believe in order to get the true feel of an area, it is best to seek out places where the people of the area are able to share their treasures with me - they seem to be the ones with the nitty gritty and not just stating facts from books - and I most definitely think you will get that in Hoonah at Icy Strait Point...there's still very much a rawness and authenticity to the way the area is interpreted by the townspeople who guide the majority of the tours departing at Icy Strait Point. To an extent it's very much "outside of the box" as far as rules of interpretation go, but I still believe it's refreshing to many to experience the "realness" so to speak when relating to these people on a personal scale....I know you'll have a great time, and I look forward to meeting you sooner than later...again, AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH (thank you very much) for supporting a resilient people...

CRUISINGOMER (Don) - HEY DON! I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying those moccassins, and I'll be sure to let Kathy know the next time I am back in Hoonah (which will be this weekend) - she does good work and is a great person. She'll appreciate the comments - I'm REALLY excited to hear that you are bringing your family back up here - we're going to have to figure out something really good for the whole troop to enjoy! I'm sad to hear that your youngest won't be with you, but I'm also EXTREMELY HAPPY that she's taking the opportunity to spend a summer up here - because believe me, she'll have a lifetime of great and beautiful memories from her experience up here - if you haven't already realized it, this land speaks to you, much deeper than anyone can comprehend. It sounds like you'll be here during the beginning of the season...that's EXCITING!!!! WOOOHOOO...another chance to just BE...in Alaska...

PRUDON (Prudence) - I think you're parents were correct in naming you what they did - because you were wise enough to let me know where the hell I left my keys to Critic Square!!! HAHA - if it wasn't for you, I would've been mugged or something outside the complex...sheesh...LOL! I'm glad to hear you're going to make it up here in August - I understand your reasons for trying to go with independent operators, but the one thing that is different about Icy Strait Point, is it is COMPLETELY owned by the native Tlingit population in Hoonah, and ALL TOURS that depart and are sold through the cruiseline directly benefit our company and our people individually due to the fact that all of our guides are the local populous, still giving you the opportunity to meet "US" so to speak, and get itegrated into our community and our daily lifestyles. No worries, it's a popular misconception here at Icy Strait Point, because for the most part, in many of the other ports, many of the tours are operated by the cruiselines, but NOT HERE!!!! The success of Icy Strait Point and it's existence depends almost solely on what revenue it is able to make through the excursions offered through the cruiselines - because again, they are all operated by us. I know, I know, who likes to talk about revenues and all that stuff when Alaska is what we all dream about - I just want you to get here and have the opportunity to see what it is that inspired you in your dreams and on a daily basis to come to this great land, my Alaaqsaq...I look forward to getting the opportunity to meet you one way or another...Oh yeah, and I was told my name means, "Man under the sun"...nice huh?

SEPYLE (Sharon) - HI SHARON! You know I could never forget...sheesh...and "thank you" in Tlingit is GUNALCHEESH (pronounced 'gunalth - cheesh') - I know, it's a little difficult, and the language was only interpreted into the English alphabet in the 1970's and it's obviously not spelled phonetically - but I'm still here to teach whatever I can - I take pride in having the ability to share all that is Tlingit with the rest of the world - I'm still pushing for much of the signage at Icy Strait Point and in Hoonah to be posted in Tlingit so that our guests will be exposed to the language, just like when most go on vacation in Hawaii, they learn how to pronounce "Lilioukuilani" for example - I hope to achieve the same exposure for our people and language - it's one that is fading fast and is not utilized enough - more than 200 languages disappear yearly around the world, and only 360 Tlingits can actually speak the language, so again, I will do ANYTHING to expose my friends, guests and inquiring minds to the culture that threads my existence...I will be sure to let the dancers know that you said GUNALCHEESH and start counting the short days before your arrival again!!! YAY!

JOHNQ - Hey John - Gunalcheesh for the welcome back!! It's great to be back! Things are rolling quickly in Hoonah and Icy Strait Point, for we are expecting 73 call days this year as opposed to 36 from last year! Yah, I said the same thing, that's quite a jump!!! But I believe it's to our benefit, provided we all stay with the same things we envisioned for our guests and our people from the beginning - maintaining our integrity and cultural identity, all the while sharing with our guests from around the world a place within our community and countryside while minimizing the impact directly on the land and people - and I BELIEVE this is thoroughly possible through intelligent and patient design and handling...so John, when are YOU coming back??? Oh yeah, and AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH for inviting your friend DonK up here - he's sure to have a great time and share with you his photos of a somewhat changed Icy Strait Point (it's changed slightly from when you were here)...well the high school basketball teams did alright - the girl's team were runner-up's and one-upped the region champions at the state tournament by taking a single victory, so that's good - and again, the volleyball team took it's 17th region crown in 18 years!!!! HOONAH!!!! WOOHOOO!!!

Well guys, the northwinds are shifting and the sun is again saying hello to us, and the deciduous greenery is opening up it's pedals once again...SPRING IS OFFICIALLY HERE I BELIEVE!!!! Not so far down the road before the Xunaa Kaawu and Gaa'x Ayi are again blessed with the opportunity to share it's riches with those who were fortunate enough to choose the right canoe up to Alaska...

HAA AANI AYA!!!

Koo Hook

Just a quick note: I want to apologize to the group here. I just read the guidelines and realized my first post was probably breaking them. I just wanted to say that after visiting the people of Hoonah several times they have a special place in my heart and I wanted to do whatever I could to help them in their efforts to preserve their culture and way of life. I went there a few times before the "big ships" came and since. Keith was just one of a few people I met and that I call now my friend. Sorry for the violation it wasn't intended.

Archived