Hoonah, Alaska's Icy Strait Point - A taste of the REAL Alaaqsaq (Alaska)

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy

I may have checked Fishes. I don't remember. I have researched so much I am confused. I would like to pay less than $120 per person to look for whales if there is such a excursion in Icy Straight.

To the person who mentioned shopping in Icy Straight - why? Is there something special there? How big of an area is Icy Straight? I can't find much on it.

Thanks

Who is Keith that someone was talking about booking with on a whale excursion? I guess you need a certain amount of people to book that one. We are going to be there on June l2th. Anyone else looking to book together?

I may have checked Fishes. I don't remember. I have researched so much I am confused. I would like to pay less than $120 per person to look for whales if there is such a excursion in Icy Straight.

To the person who mentioned shopping in Icy Straight - why? Is there something special there? How big of an area is Icy Straight? I can't find much on it.

Thanks

Gingee, I've been reading some of your posts and to be honest, you're right. There's not a lot of info on Icy Strait/Hoonah. There's a good reason for that and the very reason I feel this area is so special. It's because it's been newly developed and has only I beleive this will be only the 3rd year people from cruise ships are fortunate enough to visit Icy Strait/Hoonah.

If you're interested in more information in relation to the devoplement of this area, here's a link:

http://www.icystraitpoint.com/news_media_June2003.html

Now to answer your question about why to shop at this port: In the more developed Alaska destinations, big shops have come in to take advantage of the tourest dollar. In Icy Strait, shops such as the 'Arctic Spirit' is run by local people and now owned by them as well. Guess I have a strong conviction that I want to support the local economy whenever I can instead of big corporations that come to Alaska to get rich. In some towns the 'biggies' such as Diamonds International, have come in paying high rents in the shops closest to where the ships port the in turn force rents up, so the locals can't afford compete.

Now for the other reason: I found beautiful hand made jewelry at the Arctic Spirit-made by Alaskans in Alaska! Kathy Marvin, one of the owners of the shop made a pair of moccassins for my husband. We were there when she made them so I know for sure...they were made in Alaska, by an Alaskan! She also has some other really unique items for sale such as purses! Now back to jewelry (can you see my weakness?): I found a really nice assortment at decent rates!

In other shops I found Glacier soap at much better prices than I paid in Juneau. Glacier soap is a great thing to bring home for gifts!

By the way, as for excursions. Even when you book excursions thru the cruise line, you will be benifiting the locals in this port. This is our 2nd trip to Hoonah. This time we're actually going whale watching with trekkoutfitters. This is prime whale territory and it should be a great chance to see whales up close and personal! Also save time to just explore the area on your own. Beautiful nature trails and just such a beautiful area...

Here's my link to the pics I took last year:

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=368097760&security=wImPAz

You'll see lots of pics of Koo Hook and the dancers. To witness a proud troupe of dancers celebrating who they are as people was in itself worth a trip to Icy Strait all by itself...in my opinion!

SEPyle, very well said. I am also a icy Strait Point lover for the very reasons that SEP says. You can shop until you drop in Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway but Icy Strait deals in mostly very local items and that is what it makes it refreshing. What makes that place a jewel is the scenery and NOT becoming so commercialized. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Marilyn

SEPyle, thanks for sharing!

Can anyone tell me what Keith offers differently in regards to the whale watching?

Also, what does Keith offer in terms of bear watching??

I can't wait to come to this great area. From what everyone says, it's sure to be fabulous!

tapia,

I'll be able to tell you better when we return in early June. From what I understand from talking to Keith, what is different with his whale watching tour is that he asked me what we want to see and goes from there. We will be looking for wildlife, including Bears on shore; eagles; whales; and of course anything else that comes near!

Oh yes, the other think I didn't mention in this post that makes me enjoy Icy Strait so much is the people. I really felt everyone we met was so open; gracious; and eager to share their traditions as a people and help us get a glimpse of who they are. That's something that's so often missed when visiting a new place!

I love your comment Marilyn that the Jewell of Icy Strait is actually the scenery! I also believe that everyone who visits won't be as 'in love' with the area as we are...for the very reason we love it so much! After visiting Icy Strait I felt like I had finally 'experienced' Alaska. I read where one man said he tought it was boring. To each his own, but I will say I felt sorry for him.

Thanks for the pictures. Now someone mentioned that Hoonah is about a mile away? If so, is it easy walking or will you get ran over or what? Also, anything special in Hoonah? I can't decide if we want to do a second whale watch for $240 total for the two of us when we are doing one in Juneau. Convince me. LOL

gingee,

Hoonah is a short walk away. Not sure why you're worried about being run over...I'd say much safer than anywhere in the lower 48...remember, there are only 800 locals in the whole town!

About trying to convince you. No whay would I go there. It's up to you.

Have a wonderful trip!

The benefit of the independent whale watching is they are out longer, some twice as long as the ship contractor.

Tapia- I went bear watching with Keith, very personal tour, just me, my husband and someone I "picked up" from the ship. :) (spent some prior time out on the front deck and got talking).

Keith has gotten a van for this year, increasing the number of people however.

Hoonah is walkable from the tender dock. About a mile.

But not to really muddy the waters, Icy Stright Point is a business and there are some conficts that are totally missed by Sepyle's post thinking it completely benefits Hoonah. As an example- the commissions are 60% to the independents if they want to run ISP excursions. They do not promote outside business, other than running the shuttle bus, of which they would rather you not take probably.

I think a great many people do not leave the "area". So do consider getting outside of Icy Stright Point- which is very nicely done, by the way and see more.

And lastly :) this is not unique, there are PLENTY of areas like this in Alaska, including the other ports. Get out of the immediate congested areas. Take a walk in some residential areas- you would be suprised who you chance meet and can chat with. I always enjoy walking by the Skagway school, looking from the road at the artwork in the windows and kids being kids. :)

Thanks Budget Queen for the clarification, however even when booking thru the ship, the locals do benifit by working for the Native owned corporation. Before the cruise line came, this area had very high unemployment. Today many local residents, including quite a few youth, fill various job positions as indiciated on the first link I posted. By the way, I know many young people in my area that would like to make $9 an hour plus gratuities, for summer work.:) Last year we visited with a local man who said he was very skeptical of the developemnt of Icy Strait. He then said he's come to see how the people have benifited from the development.

I do like booking independent and that's a big reason this year we are going with trekkoutfiters. At this point there are very few independent operaters which I know will increase as the people of Hoonah prosper. So in the meantime I'm glad there are options by booking thru on board. Sure there are some conflicts...as in all newly developed business, however it would be hard to argue the people are better off now than before Icy Strait Point was more or less created by the cruise line.

I'm looking forward to enjoying a personalized whale watch; we then plan to go into town and explore Hoonah; hopefully having crab for lunch! Our plan is then to book the 'Tribal Dance and Cultural Legends' thru the cruise lines to support the dancers who last year we enjoyed so much on the dock as they danced their hearts out!

Just another viewpoint.

I just didn't know if there was much to see beyond Icy Straight. I can't find much on the internet that tells about their town. So Icy Straight is a town and Hoonah is a separate town?

Gingee, Actually Hoonah is the town and Icy Strait is the location of a Salmon Cannary that closed years ago. It is there that the Royal Caribbean in coopereation with the Native Coorporation developed the area for cruise ship passengers. If you check out the first link in my first post, it describes the history.

Hope this helps explain...

That article was interesting (the beginning of Icy Straight cruise destination). How is the economy there or does anyone know? Is there a lot of poverty there now or has that become a thing of the past?

I am happy to say that we will be visiting ISP in July of 2007 - booked it this morning. Now to go back and finish reading this GREAT thread! Woo Hoo! I was quite please to learn that this port was put in place instead of Ketchikan. Not that I wouldn't want to go to Ket, but we will really be looking forward to this authentic port.

Koo Hook,:confused:

Help! I need to know how to pronounce s'eek. Our daughter just gave us a brand new Newfoundland puppy and I think I will call her S'eek as a nickname. That does mean black bear, right? Sharon and our daughter, Kris, who you get to meet in May, call her Cinderella; but I wanted something a little bit better. She looks just like a small bear cub and gets into just as much trouble.

Looking forward to seeing you and all the others that were so gracious to Sharon and I last year. Hoonah is one of the main reasons we are repeating the same trip this year.

Don (Cruisin Gomer):)

...Now to answer your question about why to shop at this port: In the more developed Alaska destinations, big shops have come in to take advantage of the tourest dollar. In Icy Strait, shops such as the 'Arctic Spirit' is run by local people and now owned by them as well. Guess I have a strong conviction that I want to support the local economy whenever I can instead of big corporations that come to Alaska to get rich. In some towns the 'biggies' such as Diamonds International, have come in paying high rents in the shops closest to where the ships port the in turn force rents up, so the locals can't afford compete....

If you're interested, do a little research on the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act of 1971. One resource I use is at www.ankn.uaf.edu/ancsa.html

During the 70's and 80's, many of the native groups hired business consultants to help them build their corporations into what are some of the larger corporations in the state now.

In Juneau, you can actually walk up the main street in the middle of winter and see better than half of the businesses open, even without cruise ships in port... these are the businesses that are locally owned and operated. Locals pay high rent or build expensive buildings just like Diamonds International or Little Switzerland. Several local businesses have refused offers by the "big internationals" to buy out their property or stores...

Just because it looks big and is near the cruise terminal doesn't mean it's a global conglomerate taking from the locals. It just means we're successful!

Off topic: It's such a calm day on the water now... I think I'll go visit Hoonah for the afternoon!

-Case

• 3 weeks later...

HELLO to everyone at Critic Square! I just wanted to drop in very quickly, because god knows I'm a busy guy - but I wanted to let everyone know that I haven't forgotten about you - and I will no longer be working for Icy Strait Point this season.

I have accepted a position with a company who employs the entertainment staff aboard the ships, and I will be boarding the Coral Princess and Regal Princess ships up through July 24 - then onto Celebrity Summit from July 29 through September 30 as the onboard naturalist/lecturer! How exciting is that??? I am really excited about this opportunity - just think about how many of you I will actually get to meet!!!!

My first cruise will be this Monday, departing from Vancouver to Whittier aboard the Coral Princess....anyways, I just wanted to share the good news with all of my friends!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and Don - it is pronounced (tss - pause - eek) s'eek for black bear.........

HAVE A GOOD ONE EVERYONE!

AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH!

Koo Hook

I will no longer be working for Icy Strait Point this season.

I have accepted a position with a company who employs the entertainment staff aboard the ships, and I will be boarding the Coral Princess and Regal Princess ships up through July 24 - then onto Celebrity Summit from July 29 through September 30 as the onboard naturalist/lecturer! How exciting is that??? I am really excited about this opportunity - just think about how many of you I will actually get to meet!!!!

I've been lurking and reading: guess I'll never see you in person. We'll be on the Summit May 27th- June 3, just a couple months too early. Still looking forward to seeing Hoonah, though. Hope you enjoy your new job!

We were signed up for the Bear watch hike May 31st, but Celebrity says it's been canceled. I didn't expect to see bears in May, just wanted a nice hike. Nothing major, about 3-5 miles. Is it safe to follow the trails on our own?

Archived