Hoonah, Alaska's Icy Strait Point - A taste of the REAL Alaaqsaq (Alaska)

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy

Chookenshaa, I haven't been able to fine Kathy Marvin"s address or phone # on the boards. We will be in Hoonah Sept. 7, on the Summit. I am interested in seeing her purses. You can email me direct or post where I can see them.

Chookenshaa, I haven't been able to fine Kathy Marvin"s address or phone # on the boards. We will be in Hoonah Sept. 7, on the Summit. I am interested in seeing her purses. You can email me direct or post where I can see them.

Kathy L Marvin

street address not available

Hoonah, AK

(907) 945-3563

I booked with Keith with Teckk in IPS yesterday. We have a wonderful itinerary for the whole day. He is extremely flexible, and very knowledgable. He grew up in Hoonah. We are taking a tour of the town and critter watching on the river in the AM...having lunch at his friends place and then Halibut fishing with his brother Max in the afternoon. Thanks BQ for the info!

Hi! I've booked with Keith for Aug. 1, 2006. We're on Jewel of the Seas. We're looking for 2 to 4 people to join us. We'd like to do some whale watching but we're open to suggestions. Any interest? Below is Keith's reply to our booking.

Hi yes not only raised in Hoonah but I am part Tlingit native. That day is good but the boat needs a min of 4 clients and a max of 6. This is not a problem because it is still early. There is two way to do it. I can try and book or you might have better luck when you are on the ship. When you get to Hoonah people find out that the excursions are limited and people are looking for somthing to do. The cost is $150 per person fo 4 hours. What are you interested in doing.

Thanks Keith

Hi Prudon! I have a feeling you will have no problem finding people to join. We are with Keith on the 1st of June. I will fill you in after our trip. We are on the Raidance of the Sea. I did not realize that the Jewel did Alaska. I thought just Radiance Seranade and one of the smaller RCCL ships sailed Alaska. I wish I had know because we were supposed to do the Jewel in Europe 2 years ago and I had a death in my family. I would like to travel on the Jewel. We have 82 days until we leave for Alaska!

It sounds like there are more independent things to do in Hoonah this coming season than when we were there in the first year. Looking forward to going again to try the new things.

Does anyone (BQ?) know how Keith charges for his guiding and transportation---by the hour, day, or activity?

And while I'm here, is Koo Hook still boycotting this thread that he started and got all of us hooked on Hoonah? Is he still coaching basketball? I miss his humor, knowledge, and pride. I guess I will have to start posting his photo on here every day until he checks in!!!!!

Would it be possible for you to email me: micknminy at aol dot com

BTW, Jewel OTS and Radiance are sister ships and they are both identical in size, copperpenny! Have you been on the Radiance OTS yet?

I'd love to ask you about ISP!

Prudon: Are you sure you are on Jewel OTS? She's in Europe for that period of time, I thought? At least that is what it shows on the RCCL website.

Oops! Did I say Jewel???? I'll be on the Jewel in April!!! But that's for the eastern caribbean. I should have said the Vision!!! Sorry for the confusion. It's correct in my signature! Silly me!

Copperpenny I can't wait to hear how your experience is. I hope you have the time of your life!

Hi Prudon...I love cruising the Caribbean. Last year we took the QM2 to the Southern Caribbean and it was one of my favorite trips. I had never been to Barbados or Bonaire and those were two of our ports. We actually were able to golf at Sandy Lane where Tiger Woods got married in Barbados. That was one of the highlights for me. I hope you have a Wonderful trip!

Copperpenny, I have never done the southern caribbean. That and the mediterrainean(?) are the next two places I'd like to go. Ahh... we work all year dreaming of beautiful places to visit!! I admit New Hampshire is beautiful, freezing but pretty but I've seen it everyday for the past 30 years!!

I had a fixed price for Keith for the day.

As only a story. :) I tried to go with Floyd -FISHES but was unable to find another 2 people to join me for whale watching. I called him several times during the week, but no luck. :) I was in Skagway and met up with my ship naturalist friend from Celebrity. We spent the am together and he hooked me up with Keith. I was fortunate to have his information and because I was already going out with Larry twice in Juneau, I went with his excellent information for bear viewing and an interesting personal look at Hoonah.

As a side, RCI spent at least 45 minutes at Point Adolphus, with humpbacks putting on a BIG show, nonstop action the entire time. I really commended the cpt for the stop since plenty do not. I made sure to note it on my comment card because it was so delightful. :)

I remain in email contact with Keith, frequently and have definately found a new Alaska friend.

BQ, thanks for the info. The naturalist wasn't Dirk was it? We had him on the Summit and did Cap Larry with him and his girlfriend from the Mercury. He skipped the whalewatching in ISP and when I talked to him later about how incredible it was, he said he had already heard he messed up. Sounds like there is definitely more to do there now.

Hi pywilson1,

Just thought I would reply to your question about contacting Kathy Marvin.

She manages Arctic Spirit and you can contact by the following.

Kathy Marvin

Arctic Spirit

P.O. Box 606

Hoonah, Alaska 99829

Phone: 907-945-3412/3413

arcticspiritgallery@yahoo.com

Forgot to mention - she also makes a mean pair of mocassins. I got a pair last year when we were in Hoonah. You have to order them ahead of time since she makes them to your specific size. I have really enjoyed mine.

Cruisin Gomer

Hey Prudon! I would love to do the Med myself. We were booked for the Northern Scandinavian(?) cruise on the Jewel two years ago and had to cancel. We took a two week personal guided tour last year of Great Britian. The Woman we hired was fantastic and we stayed in everything from castles to farm houses to beautiful grand estates. I have to say it was exhausting. It would have been easier to cruise to different ports and get a sampling of that country. The packing and unpacking was brutal! We covered 2200 miles in 13 days.

If you like warm weather the Southern Caribbean is the place to be. I think we have been to most all of the Caribbean ports that cruise ships visit. Some of the ports we have visited many times so if you ever book this trip let me know and I will send you information. It is nice being Floridas neighbor we are driving distance of a cruise!

I guess I am totally confused now.

I am trying to decide on a whale watching trip. I guess the 2 obvious choicea are Juneau and ISP. I would rather ISP because it works into the schedule better.

Anyone have specific companies and pricing on the ISP options?

BTW if I did Jueau, I would go w/Capt Larry.

TIA

Red,

We used F.I.S.H.E.S. last Sept. Spent about 1 hour out with the whales, we were right in the middle of the pod. Whales all around the boat. Don't remember exactly what the cost was, but was around $10-15 dollars more than the ship excursion. It is a small boat, can only handle 5-6 passengers. I will try to find their phone number if you want. We thought the price was well worth it!!!

Archived