Hoonah, Alaska's Icy Strait Point - A taste of the REAL Alaaqsaq (Alaska)

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy

HELLO to everyone at Critic Square! I just wanted to drop in very quickly, because god knows I'm a busy guy - but I wanted to let everyone know that I haven't forgotten about you - and I will no longer be working for Icy Strait Point this season.

I have accepted a position with a company who employs the entertainment staff aboard the ships, and I will be boarding the Coral Princess and Regal Princess ships up through July 24 - then onto Celebrity Summit from July 29 through September 30 as the onboard naturalist/lecturer! How exciting is that??? I am really excited about this opportunity - just think about how many of you I will actually get to meet!!!!

My first cruise will be this Monday, departing from Vancouver to Whittier aboard the Coral Princess....anyways, I just wanted to share the good news with all of my friends!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and Don - it is pronounced (tss - pause - eek) s'eek for black bear.........

HAVE A GOOD ONE EVERYONE!

AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH!

Koo Hook

Howard, you have just made my day, night week and every day up to our 8/5/05 departure on the Summit....YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, we will meet again! We were to be on the 5/20 Summit which was cancelled due to mechanical problems. We've re-booked and will be on the 8/5 sailing instead! Last year we went to all the lectures and spent A LOT of time up on the front deck with Dirk who was the Naturalist last year. He was great, and now I know for sure the Naturalist this year will be top notch! How fortunate are we????????????????

Sharon and Don Pyle

HEY EVERYONE! SO THIS is why everybody cruises.....beautiful seas, outstanding scenery and non-stop entertainment.....NOT TOO SHABBY! Hey everybody! I'm currently in Juneau, one of the Port stops for the Coral Princess - and it's a fairly new environment for me....I don't know how to react! People cascading down the stairwells with tuxedos and evening gowns on....I felt like I was standing by the clock on the Titanic!!!!! I know I know, Titanic is a taboo word to use when cruising - but you know - that's what it felt like!!!! So - I've given two presentations on Alaska - The Great Land, and Alaska's People Of The Totem - and it's gone over GREAT!!! People have been very receptive, and I'm glad to have the opportunity to share with them. I do have to admit BRIEFLY, that I miss home to an extent - but I know that I've set enough GUIDELINES so to speak, so that home will STAY home....so yes.

How's everybody else's cruises????? I should be able to respond on here more often - having time in ports to share stories and answer questions - so let's cross our fingers. I'm sure it'll go well - I've got the CRUISE SEASON fever - where you get all caught up in the excitement of running to internet cafes and running to different eateries....IT'S GREAT!

I hope everyone is doing well - and YES SHARON - it will TRULY be a delight once again - and we'll get to meet at a different capacity!

HAA AANI AYA! AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH!

Koo Hook

Koo Hook, I'm SO glad you're having a good time!!!!!!!!!! People would be crazy not to love your talks!

I seriously hope you're on the Summit when I'm on it in 2007!

Hi Koo Hook, Best of Luck in your new position. With your personality I know you will enjoy meeting different people and telling people all about your wonderful Alaska, especially Icy Strait. We were last year, and I still talk about all the wonderful people I meet. I'm sure you're going to make a wonderful naturalist on the ships and that people will enjoy your lectures. Hope to meet you again soon. Lois

Koo Hook, remember me, I met you at icy last year when the Infinity came to your lovely place. Anyway, congrats on your new position. We have always enjoyed the naturalist/lecturer on board on our Alaskan trips.

We Will be coming again on the Infinity but next year so maybe we will meet. Who knows.

Marilyn

Howard, when I started reading about your new job I was both thrilled for you and sad for me . . . I was looking forward to introducing my daughter to you when we visit ISP in September. She will be seeing Alaska for the first time on this mother/daughter adventure, and I've spoken to her many times about your wonderful posts on this thread.

But then, as I continued to read - lo and behold - we will be seeing you onboard Summit!:) How cool is that!

Very much looking forward to your talks and seeing you out on deck - I hope you won't mind two not-so-shy women walking right up to you.:D

Great hearing from you Howard and glad you should be able to post a bit more often! How long will you be on the Coral? Or will you be alternating between the Coral and the Regal? Anyway, I'm glad we know you'll be on the Summit by the time we sail!

Glad you are enjoying cruising...it is a differnt world and also understand about missing home. Two world apart, but think of all you be experiencing this summer! One of our daughters came with us last year and fell in love with your beautiful state...she is now working for Princess on their dome trains. She is having the time of her life and while I know she's missing home and friends, she's enjoying all that this new adventure offers!

We'll be looking forward to meeting you again on the Summit!

Sharon...and Don too!

HELLO EVERYONE!!!! Good to hear from everybody - I am currently in Skagway on a stop - gettin' some good R & R and got see a few old friends as well!!!! I actually ran into a friend I had worked with in Glacier Bay - and I also ran into old friends from high school - how cool is that???? Just randomly walking down the street in Skagway....

I also have been noticing people walking around with Hoonah Packing Company sweatshirts as well as "The Office Bar" jackets - and was DELIGHTED to stop and ask them how their trip was to Hoonah and Icy Strait Point, and they said " AWESOME"!!!! I can't tell you how gratifying that is to me to know that our guests are having a great time and are being received very well by all my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.....my aunt and uncle actually own "The Office Bar" and I was happy to call them and tell them I saw their jackets wandering around Skagway - and for those of you that don't know....The Office Bar was in fact listed as the #1 bar in America in the most recent Esquire magazine - can you believe it???????? WOOOOOOOH! If you have the opportunity, I encourage you to pick it up and read it - it's a great article - pretty darn surreal to see some of US in a magazine of that magnitude....Hoonah is slowly but surely earning it's place on the maps....

So I will be on the Coral Princess until June 12, then onto the Regal on June 24 - July 25 - so I'm excited about that - but I don't have too much time, so I wanted to say HELLO and let everybody know, cruising Alaska aboard these floating cities is just so UNREAL!!!! We'll chat more later friends....take care and I hope you're getting prepared for your trip of a lifetime.....

AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH,

Koo Hook

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Koo Hook / Howard,

We just found your notes from Icy Straits when we were trying to find out about renting tandem bicycles in town (to bike with our daughter). We were most impressed by your knowledge and willingness to share. Now we are certain we want to go ashore at Icy Straits. Our family is once again going to Alaska (We went last summer to visit a cousin in Anchorage.)

Last year one of the highlights for all of us was going to the Native Cultural Center in Anchorage.

I was working on my own documentary movie, Fairy Tracks; In Search of the Spirit in Nature, in which I establish the spiritual connection we all have with nature. The people I met there were very forthcoming and they knew immediately where I was coming from.

I now want to take this idea further and investigate Native understanding of science and the science/spirit worldview.

Reading your notes gave me inspiration and desire to meet and interview you. We will be on the Summit cruise ship celebrating my in-laws 50th anniversary the week of July 8 2006. I see you may be working on a different ship then. If you are not available, perhaps you could put me in touch with some people you know in Hoonah or Ketchikan and possibly Juneau or Skagway that would like talk to me about the intersection between science and spirit from a native view.

Thank you, Jerry Wellman

• 3 weeks later...

How thrilled I was to find this community board online this afternoon. I just left my first cruise aboard the Regal Princess on July 5th, and haven’t been able to take my eyes off the internet bridge cam since ..... as that was pretty much my identical view for my entire 10-day cruise. I could not tear myself away from the front deck as Alaska, and the sea, stretched out before me.

Koo Hook said in his first lecture that Alaska would speak to us - and it SCREAMED. (Or was that me?) That is one of my first lessons from Alaska.

Also, in my opinion, Koo Hook was the beaming highlight on board. His genuine heart and great sense of humor was so evident as he shared stories of his people and experiences. For those who will have the privilege of hearing him as his summer travels continue, you have a real treat in store. And if you get a chance to see a mountain goat fall into the jaws of an orca - see it as a celebration.

Koo Hook, thank you again. You have helped to open my eyes beyond my usual SF cityscape, and added a new definition to the Hershey Bar.

Now I’m off to see about getting that bronze statue for the bow of the ship.

Kathie Rantz

How thrilled I was to find this community board online this afternoon. I just left my first cruise aboard the Regal Princess on July 5th, and haven’t been able to take my eyes off the internet bridge cam since ..... as that was pretty much my identical view for my entire 10-day cruise. I could not tear myself away from the front deck as Alaska, and the sea, stretched out before me.

Koo Hook said in his first lecture that Alaska would speak to us - and it SCREAMED. (Or was that me?) That is one of my first lessons from Alaska.

Also, in my opinion, Koo Hook was the beaming highlight on board. His genuine heart and great sense of humor was so evident as he shared stories of his people and experiences. For those who will have the privilege of hearing him as his summer travels continue, you have a real treat in store. And if you get a chance to see a mountain goat fall into the jaws of an orca - see it as a celebration.

Koo Hook, thank you again. You have helped to open my eyes beyond my usual SF cityscape, and added a new definition to the Hershey Bar.

Now I’m off to see about getting that bronze statue for the bow of the ship.

Kathie Rantz

Kathie, I so understand what you're saying about Koo Hook/Howard. We met him last year in Icy Stait and we too heard Alaska speak to us...and since we'll be on the 8/5 Summit in just a few weeks, I guess what we heard was: COME BACK SOON! Bottom line, Alaska isn't simply a destination, it's just about a spiritual experience!

When Koo Hook said he would be on the Summit when we'll be sailing I can't tell you how excited I was! I know we'll be attending every one of his lectures and up on the front deck as much as possible!

So Koo Hook if by chance you check in before we meet again on the Summit, we're so looking forward to meeting you again! I know the folks on the Regal Princess will be missing you, but their loss is our gain! YEAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sharon

Sharon –

Thank you for your response and welcoming words. As I peruse the previous posts on this board, I see that you have a history of hospitality to those who wander in. Your kindness is appreciated. I hope your upcoming journey quenches some of your thirst, and holds a handful of surprising moments as well.

As I drove back from my folks this afternoon (praise to the parents who will indulge 530 photos!), I found myself thinking about hunting – whether I had it in me to hunt. I certainly can understand it from a mind and wisdom perspective, but I wondered if I had the emotional stamina. That led me to thinking about the mind/body/spirit/heart divisions in western thought – and wondering how the Tlingit culture views the “composition” of the individual. Howard spoke about his connections with his family, clan and people – how is an individual’s psyche viewed? When one is tied so closely to the natural landscape, how is the “mind’s eye” recognized?

Anyway…I was wondering…..

Kathie

HEY EVERYBODY! I'm so excited to hear from someone who was aboard the Regal - ahhhh....I'm in Sunny California right now - getting ready to turn right around and head home once again - going to Icy Strait Point with all my friends aboard the vessel was truly a highlight - no one in my village can say they arrived via a great white floating city - it was great - got to spend time with the mom....anyways, I'm running back to the ship so everybody please TAKE CARE and we'll see you all sooner than later......WEEEEEE!

HAA AANI AYA

Koo Hook

Bumpy seas on the Regal bridge cam this morning. I would imagine a stroll down the hallways would assail one with a cacophony of “singing”….. hope the ship’s store doesn’t sell out of Dramamine again.

For me it’s back to the office tomorrow. I do a lot of traveling for work (and pleasure) and while I’ve been to several places that touched me, it’s been tougher than usual retracting the tentacles from the Alaskan sea and sky. My friends are telling me that it was a life-altering experience. I just know that a lot of cobwebs have been cleaned out, I’m sitting a bit more quietly, and (this one’s a miracle for me) time has stretched out so that the days are long again! Wowser.

Koo Hook, I will be interested in hearing YOUR cruise reviews when your summer adventures are over. We hear lots of comments from the passengers on these boards, but I’m curious what the perspectives are like from members of the crew/hosts/ambassadors.

Also, I got copies of the video/audio that you were so kind as to tape for my sister’s third grade class. Your improvised percussion works well for your song. (As an aside, I hope that you were able to retrieve your drum from the Coral.) If you would like a copy for your memory archives, give a shout.

Safe passage to all –

Kathie

Koo Hook,

We've never met, but I feel I know you from reading these boards, and I'm SO excited that you will be the naturalist aboard the Summit on Aug. 5! Can't wait for your lectures!

My husband and I have been on several cruises, and I am always amazed at the number of people who, as soon as they disembark in a foreign country (or different state, as the case may be) rush to seek out all the things they have at home - shopping malls, McDonald's, etc. Part of the beauty of travel is seeing "how the other half lives," and immersing oneself in the culture, the nature, and the food. So that's why I'm particularly excited to have the opportunity to have a true Tlinglit naturalist aboard.

Can you recommend an authentic visit to a Tlingit village and salmon bake in Icy Strait Point?

Thanks, looking forward to meeting you!

Laura

Hey Laura - it'll be great to meet you as well - I'm just finishing up my time on the Regal Princess - and I will be flying home from San Francisco - stay in Hoonah for a few days - than fly to Vancouver to meet the Summit - I'm definitely stoked about it.....

So as far as your question concerning the whereabouts of a traditional Tlingit village and all it's goodies.....I'll let Sharon tell ya.....yah Sharon???? Hahaha....

So in case anyone cares - I had the single most out of the ordinary experience this last 10 day cruise aboard the Regal Princess......as we were cruising past the Queen Charlotte Islands (just off the coast of British Columbia), I looked out my stateroom and noticed some dorsel fins - and immediately they struck me as dolphins - so being the naturalist I am...LMFAO...I booked it up to the Captain's bridge and got on the ship speakers and began talking about what we were seeing - was a beautiful 70 degree flat calm day at sea - and we had nearly 400 or so Pacific White-sided dolphins EVERYWHERE! And it didn't stop at that...after that suddenly I noticed something passing the vessel - now I knew it wasn't a dolphin because they only propel themselves through the water with the up and down motion of their tales - now this particular character was going to side to side....and then whad'ya KNOW.....DUN DUN.....DUN DUN....DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN.........IT WAS A SHARK - so I'm on the bridge going ballistic and all the passengers are throwing their hands in the air going "WHEEE!" - those of you who have either been on a tour with me or have been on the ship with me know exactly what I'm talkin' about - anyways, suddenly, MORE AND MORE SHARKS - THAN, atleast 15-20 baleen whales - two different species - humpbacks and minke - spouting on all sides of the ship - AND THEN TO TOP IT ALL OFF - some strange looking creature - very round - funky eye - has it's pectoral flippers on the top and bottom sides of it's body and propels itself by "flapping" those fins side to side - and I couldn't figure out what the heck it was - I knew I had seen it in an aquarium before but never was familiar with it because they don't exist in the colder waters - and come to find out - it's the BOLA BOLA - or otherwise known as the SUNFISH! Apparently they can get up to about 500lbs and they eat nothing but jellyfish????? That was just too much - my senses were all overloaded - and it was just phenomenal - NEVER had I seen sharks in such numbers - but just coming from all over the place and swimming all near the surface - if we ever see sharks in the cold waters of wonderful Alaska - they're usually being pulled OUT of the water by fisherman - but never just observing them milling about like you would in the Caribbean or something - anyway, yeah, if you can't tell already - it was really exciting....

So, the people onboard these ships are great - and I got to go into Icy Strait Point and my hometown of Hoonah in style - aboard a 1,600 passenger white beautiful ship named the Regal Princess - THE FIRST Princess ship to call at Icy Strait Point EVER!!!! So it made for a great experience for me and everyone that traveled aboard the same cruise - but Icy Strait Point seems like it's "hanging in there" without me.....LOL.....sometimes, very rarely I'll feed my ego! HAHAHAHA - yeah yeah....

So summer is great and home is beautiful, and I'm really looking forward to meeting more crazy people from the lower 48 - and by the way, HOW ARE ALL MY NEIGHBORS FROM CRITIC SQUARE? Wow - we need a community newsletter to stay in touch nowadays huh??? Or did everyone relocate - pic something with a little lower monthly rental rate..........WOOOOHOOOOO!

Having a good'ol time and the spirit of Hoonah and the power of Alaska lives within - and I can't tell you all how gratifying it is for me to share about my people and this part of the world with all of you who have chosen to come to this land of the midnight sun - I definitely pride myself in it - and I get complete satisfaction when I know 2,000 more people understand what totem poles represent, and WHO the people are behind those poles, and how one comes to grow in a place like the archipelago, and that there truly are NO ESKIMOS IN ALASKA!!!!! You heard me right!!!!!!

Well - take care all - and I will either see you sooner than later - or I'll hear from you sooner than later - it'd be kinda sweet to keep this topic at the top of the boards at all times again....right? I can only do so much so I'm going to rely on all my friends out there to keep this monster alive......

Until the sun finally sets.....

HAA AANI AYA!!!!

Koo Hook

That's for sure Howard, I'll let Laura and other interested folks know where the best place to find 'authentic' Alaska-made handicrafts/jewelry and the best Tlingit villiage in all of Alaska: When you arrive in Icy Strait Point/Hoohah, you've arrived! Pass the museum when you get off the tender; and find your way to the Arctic Spirit gift shop. Kathy Marvin and the other owners of this great place will show you their beautiful jewelry and hand made things like purses and baby moccasins; and if you are really interested: Kathy will make a pair of adult size moccasins for you! Of of course they cost more than the baby ones, but just ask my husband Don...so well worth the price! Thanks to Howare(Koo Hook); we contacted Kathy before our cruise and she made a pair for Don the day we were in port! He treasures them! Oh Howard when we meet again on board the Summit, make sure to ask Don how he reacted when our new 'Newfie' puppy came out of the bedroom with one of his moccasins securely anchored in her mouth???? She had just learned 'DROP IT' in puppy school, but it sure didn't work for the moccasin!

Now for the authentic Tlingit village: You have it, right in Hoonah, the largest town of Tlingit people in Alaska! From what I hear, The Office Bar in Hoonah has a fantastic crab lunch at a pretty reasonable price! I'll soon find out on August 9th!

As you can see, I loved our time in Hoonah/Icy Strait and in fact visiting there again is the reason we're coming back on the Summit this year! When I found out Howard will be on board when we sail on August 5th I practically jumped out of my chair with joy!

Ok, enough of my ramblings...guess it's pretty obvious that I love Alaska in general and to me the people of Hoonah absolutely shine the spirit of Alaska through and through!

Sharon

Thanks, Koo Hook. Really enjoyed your description of the aquatic jackpot. I would suggest everyone google “sunfish photos” – what a bizarre looking creature! I was stoked just reading about it…

Please, everyone, share your stories about Icy Strait when you return?

Summer adventures for all –

Kathie

We were lucky enough to be on the Regal Princess with Koo Hook for the first ever stop in Icy Strait Point (7/5-7/15). This is what Alaska is all about. It was by far one of our most enjoyable days on the whole trip (next to the glacier day). Weather was beautiful. We did not do any excursions here, but instead wondered around soaking in nature. We skipped rocks on the beach and took the nature trail. Went in to Hoonah for a while. Just beautiful and tranquil. Here are some pictures.

http://community.webshots.com/album/552372005GYcill

Wow! If we could see even 1/2 or 1/4 of the aquatic wildlife you saw, that would be fantastic! What a jackpot, indeed!

For sure those sunfish are weird-looking creatures! I saw a dead one washed up on a beach in Monterey once, and we were like, "What the HECK is THAT?" Proof that either a) God has a sense of humor; or b) sunfish were designed by a committee.

Sharon, thanks for the info about Hoonah/ISP and the crab at the Office Bar! (We get pretty good crab here, just north of San Francisco, but it's NOTHING like the Alaskan King Crab! (Get those melted butter pots ready!)

Laura

Just back yesterday from our Radiance trip and a stop in ISP. What a beautiful day, we really enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere. Being the only ship in port sure makes a difference, I hope they do not change that! The whole cannery/ museum and shops area is so clean and well maintained.

We took the Bear watch excursion and while we never saw a bear the stroll through the rainforest was beautiful :)

Koo Hook,

I have enjoyed reading your threads. I will be coming to Icy Strait next week, Aug 1. what would you suggest would be good for the kids. we are two families with a total of 6 children ages 3 - 12. I want them to experience alaska and walk away with being better educated on the land, people and environment. I appreciate the suggestions and would love to have the kids meet you next week.

Koo Hook, Howard

I really enjoyed your talks aboard the Regal princess. Unfortunately I never found the time to meet you in person (my loss) but I enjoyed your talks. I was lucky enough to visit your home town and just loved it. What a beautiful place. I fished with Teckk outfitters and cough our limit in halibut. My wife got a 70 ponder We are still waiting on it but I'm sure it will be good. I just wanted to say thanks for all your knowledge and making our trip that much more special.

Ed

http://community.webshots.com/photo/552343262/2446730090094376260BnBkxy

Whoa – I never thought I would enjoy other peoples’ vacation photos so much!

GoofyontheHiSeas – I was on the Regal Princess the run BEFORE yours – the one that DIDN’T stop at ISP – and while Howard did make some mention of the “new destination near his home he’d been working at”, I didn’t really start putting the puzzle pieces together until I found this board. I really enjoyed seeing your photos of what ISP looks like, and the tranquility you spoke about really came through in your pictures. Thank you!

Bases5 – Now that I seem to have entered the phase in my life where the description of a big fish really thrills me, I also dialed into your photos…and I’m afraid I followed you all the way through your vacation. Boy, you got some whale action!!! Was that at Auke Bay? As I kept dialing, I was uttering, “yeah, I was there! I was there!” Thanks to you too.

So I’m feeling a bit brave now – if interested, I posted a teeny bit of my photos at :

http://web.mac.com/kattir2/iWeb/Site/Alaska%20Prime%202006.html

Also, if anyone can tell me what city I was looking at the morning of “Secret City”, I would appreciate the info. And sorry the photo of Koo Hook isn’t better but - I was feeling shy that day.

Now if someone only caught some pictures of dolphins/sharks/whales/sunfish day………??

Please, please! More stories! More photos!

Kathie

Archived