London hotels

papa4330

try the comfort inn victoria, it's within walking distance to victoria coach station. go online or call them, they have great discounts for seniors 50 and 60 and above.( for example 3 nites $374 for two people) alot of hotels charge you pp, comfort inn chrages for the room for two. they also give you a free buffet breakfast. we're going in sept. transatlantic constellation and we're also using the national express bus service from heathrow to victoria station, for seniors its about $11 usd. that's better then $85 from Celebrity. I hope this inf. helps.

We traveled to London 2 years ago and stayed a week at the Holiday Inn, Kensington Forum. The accomodations and location were unbelievable. Even included breakfast buffet! The tube stop was just a block away along with a restaurant called 'ASK' -- you must eat there the food is fabulous. They are all over London...it's a pizzeria/italian/pasta place - great! Also another local restaurant to try is Giraffe! Good lunch food and not too expensive!

Guest LetMeGo

Personally I'd take a hotel within easy reach of the airport and the port if I was travelling with lots of luggage... And I would take the tube for the journey. :p

I've stayed at the St. Giles hotel at Tottenham Court Road a couple of times, because it's only one stop away from the tube line from Heathrow, and it's quite centrally located in the corner of the Oxford Street (for shopping) and Charing Cross Road towards Westminster (for plenty of sightseeing).

I think I paid around £45 per night excluding breakfast... And that's cheaper than just about any hotel in Helsinki. :eek: :D

This really depends on what you want to do while you are in London. We always stay in Central London at the Kingsway Hall just a few munutes walk from Holburn tube station which will take you all the way to Heathrow. But most of all you are right in the thick of Theatreland and all the sights of London. There are many sites that you can book through but this is the site I use. You do not necessarilly need to book breakfast as there are hundreds of places to eat but again it depends what you like to do. We always like to start the day with a good relaxing breakfast which means not having the hassle of looking for a place to eat plus if you pay up front it saves you having to have that extra expense on your holiday. All depends on the individual. We live 6oo miles from London and the last time we stayed at this hotel, coincidentally we met another family from our town. Irellevant I know but just funny they should pick the same hotel.

http://www.hoteldirect.co.uk/webapp/hoteldirect/servlet/HDViewPage?web=yes&purpose=hotel&hotelid=349&city=London

I would suggest you check whatever hotel you are staying at with the reviews on tripadvisor.com. I saw reviews that were as recent as a few days ago, so it's a good doublecheck.

The Tottenham Court area is very close to the British Museum, which is free admission.

The Victoria Station area , which is where we want to stay, has a lot of lower priced hotels, but many have not so good reviews. I will also check out the Comfort Inn Victoria (thanks Linda Joy!!).

If you take the bus from Heathrow, and book your tickets online with National Express, book anyone 60 or over separately, so you get the senior discount. It's about half price.

We actually used the Big Bus hop on/off tour bus as our transpo in London. We bought a one day (there are multi-day) pass and just got on at the nearest stop and road to where we wanted to go. I liked having the narration to listen to, because even the second or third time, there's always something you missed before.

Enjoy!!

We stayed in London the week after Christmas. We booked a family room at the B and B Belgravia and loved it. It is several blocks away from Victoria Station so very convenient. A full cooked-to-order breakfast was served every morning. Free internet access in the common room, 24-hour coffee, tea, cappuccino, hot chocolate. We thought the location was perfect and loved the accomodations. And for London, the price was reasonable.

http://www.bb-belgravia.com/

The informtion on the London hotels is great - thank you! What about transporation from London to Harwich? How far is it? How long does it take?
For transportation to Harwich, I'd suggest searching both the Britain and British Isles forums, using the keyword Harwich and searching for titles only. You'll find a lot of accumulated wisdom about how to do that.

• 2 months later...

Last June we stayed at the City Inn Westminster. It was the mid-priced hotel on the RCI list--more than Kensington Forum, less than Royal Horse Guards. It is closer to the main sightseeing area than Kensington.

We had an RCI package that included the hotel and transfers from airport to hotel, hotel to ship in Harwich (2 hr drive) and back to airport from ship. It was less than $200 per person per night. Just keep in mind that EVERYTHING in London is expensive according to what we are used to in the US.

Food was almost always ala carte starting with the meat for 10 pounds ($20)and side dishes were 3-5 pounds more. ($6-10) Water was 4 pounds for a large bottle on the table. Just double the pounds to get the $$. We took adventage of a special advertised on a card in our room and on the last night ordered the steak dinner with meat, fries and a bit of salad for the 10 pounds--a bargain!

A nice thing about the package is we got free breakfast every day and on Sat./Sun it included a hot buffet besides the normal Continental fare.

We always use the cruise line transfers. It just seems more convenient than trying to find our own transpo. It may be a bit more $$, but worth it to us to avoid the hassle and we don't have to schlepp our luggage around.

We had THE most wonderful cruise on Jewel out of Harwich. I would highly recommend it--Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Kensington as well - it is right across the street from a tube station with 3 major lines, including the Picadilly line. The room was much larger than I expected and it had a great back patio/courtyard. There was a patisserie and a Tesco market right across the street. We'd definitely stay there again.

• 9 months later...
We stayed in London the week after Christmas. We booked a family room at the B and B Belgravia and loved it. It is several blocks away from Victoria Station so very convenient. A full cooked-to-order breakfast was served every morning. Free internet access in the common room, 24-hour coffee, tea, cappuccino, hot chocolate. We thought the location was perfect and loved the accomodations. And for London, the price was reasonable.

http://www.bb-belgravia.com/

Did you have any trouble getting confirmations from them? All I want is confirmation that we are on the first floor and the cost of the room.

All I want is confirmation that we are on the first floor ...
I don't know where you're from, and you probably already know this, but just in case: The "first floor" in the UK is usually one level above street level. The floor that's on street level is the "ground floor".

Archived