Miami hotels

emen822

We had an opportunity to stay at two hotels while cruising out of Miami. Pre-cruise we stayed at the Wyndham Grand Bay in Coconut Grove and loved it! It was very nice, rooms were clean and comfortable, within walking distance of beautiful downtown Coconut Grove AND - BONUS - there is a wonderful newer grocery store right across the street named Fresh Market with all sorts of cool gourmet items, wines, international beers, etc. That market makes me want to move there!

Post Cruise we stayed at the Essex House in South Beach for three days. We were initally booked at the Winterhaven, but they moved us to the Essex since our rooms were damaged in construction. No biggie. Just four blocks away. They sweetened the pot with an upgrade to a suite. We loved it! A very neat place, great staff, gave us free drink tickets too - and most importantly to any SoBe vacation, a FANTABULOUS location. Right in the heart of it all. Would stay there again in a heartbeat!

I will do a full review later. Just wanted to post some info here. :)

Were you able to make it to the race track and to the airport without any problems? How did you enjoy Coconut Grove?

Hi lmondrop! Yes, we made it everywhere without any trouble at all. Very easy to get around! We took the Dolphin to the turnpike to and from the race, and it's a breeze to get off SoBe and get on 95 for the trip to FLL. We bailed a few exits early on 95 due to an accident, just got off and went east till we ran into 1 and followed that up to find a spot for breakfast then to the airport.

We took cabs a few times - to and from the port, and in SoBe on Friday before we picked up the rental since my mom's knee was really hurting.

We really enjoyed Coconut Grove, wished we had more time to explore it. Mom & Dad weren't feeling adventurous, so we ate at Cheesecake Factory (hey, we compromised - we wanted to do something "local" but they wanted Johnny Rockets) It's a beautiful area, tons of cool shops in Cocowalk! We also loved loved loved SoBe and will be back. Spent some time at the Lincoln mall, walked all the way up and down Ocean, Collins and some of Washington. It's just a neat place - so glad we stayed there! Overall, it cost a bit more, but it's our kind of place. :D

Everything about our trip was 99% perfect, and I mean perfect! It was that way because of all the help we received here by fine folks like you! Thanks so much for all your help!

Hi lmondrop! Yes, we made it everywhere without any trouble at all. Very easy to get around! We took the Dolphin to the turnpike to and from the race, and it's a breeze to get off SoBe and get on 95 for the trip to FLL. We bailed a few exits early on 95 due to an accident, just got off and went east till we ran into 1 and followed that up to find a spot for breakfast then to the airport.

We took cabs a few times - to and from the port, and in SoBe on Friday before we picked up the rental since my mom's knee was really hurting.

We really enjoyed Coconut Grove, wished we had more time to explore it. Mom & Dad weren't feeling adventurous, so we ate at Cheesecake Factory (hey, we compromised - we wanted to do something "local" but they wanted Johnny Rockets) It's a beautiful area, tons of cool shops in Cocowalk! We also loved loved loved SoBe and will be back. Spent some time at the Lincoln mall, walked all the way up and down Ocean, Collins and some of Washington. It's just a neat place - so glad we stayed there! Overall, it cost a bit more, but it's our kind of place. :D

Everything about our trip was 99% perfect, and I mean perfect! It was that way because of all the help we received here by fine folks like you! Thanks so much for all your help!

AWESOME!! So happy you all enjoyed your stay here!! This place is definately fun to visit and can be heavy on your wallet (its heavy on my wallet and I live here!)...but hey...you're on vacation deal with it when you get home...that's what I say...at least you'll always have the memories! Glad I could be of help!!

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone give me pricing on taking a taxi from the miami airport to the trump resort.

And then from the trump resort to the port.

The hotel looks very nice and secluded - just don't know if it is worth it if the taxi prices are really high.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

sjcruiser, we are also considering the LaQuinta on LeJeune Rd. I was wondering if there were any shops located close to the hotel? We'd like to pick up some soft drinks and a bottle of wine to take on board. We won't have a car, so do you know if there is anything within walking distance from this hotel?

Thanks in advance! :)

I'm overwhelmed with all the hotel choices and after reading all these hotel threads. Looking for family friendly,but nice post cruise that is beach front or walking distance to beach. Something within an affordable taxi drive to the MIA .

Love great pools, beach front and clean rooms. Doesn't have to be the ritz.

lmondrop, thanks for all of your information, it certainly is nice to have a local perspective on things.

I have not seen too much written about the Marriott Biscayne Bay. We are thinking about staying there as they now are a non smoking hotel and also located right on the water across from the port. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami in April but their rates have gone up and we are going to be travelling with our older kids this time and want something nicer.

From the Miami webcam it looks like a building is going up in front of the Radission blocking the view. Is there anything in the mall that connects these two hotels.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, is August considered low season or is it just busy all of the time?

Thanks,

Perry

Archived