Another Passport Scare - Help

Ok, I really need someone's expert advice! I just got off the phone with Passport Canada. The very nice lady on the phone has really given me a scare. She says that from what she understands, some cruiseships are now requiring a 6 month validity on their passports. Meaning....

If I travel in November, which I am, my passport must not expire for 6 months after that, which would be early May. My passport expires in early February.

I have looked on the RCCL website and have not been able to find the information. I have thought of calling RCCL, but you know how it can be there sometimes......you get a different answer depending on who you talk to. This is a very important matter, and I need the correct information.

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this.

That is what a lot of countries say, but I wouldn't worry about it cruising. I know I've gone with a lot less than 6 months left on my passport and have never had a problem.

Just take another form of ID with you. If you are sailing this November passports aren't even mandatory at that time.

I see no point in renewing a passport six months in advance when they are only good for 5 years anyway.

Sylvia, I just pulled this from the RCCL site for you:

Guest Ticket Booklet These appropriate valid travel documents such as passports, visas, inoculation certificate and family legal documents are required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries. For your protection, we recommend that your passport expiration date not occur within six (6) months of the sailing termination date. Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a countr y and may be subject to fines.

Sylvia, I just pulled this from the RCCL site for you:

Guest Ticket Booklet These appropriate valid travel documents such as passports, visas, inoculation certificate and family legal documents are required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries. For your protection, we recommend that your passport expiration date not occur within six (6) months of the sailing termination date. Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a countr y and may be subject to fines.

The 6 month rule is not a cruise line rule, it is the rule some countries have on visitors coming into their country.

For caribbean cruises Americans ( I understand you are from Canada, but I would imagine they treat Canadians the same as Americans), do not need a passport to enter any of the islands that RCCL cruise to, and even after the end of the year will not need passports to enter these islands. You just need a valid passport to re-enter the US. I would assume that Canadians would be treated the same way, as up until the end of the year they have been able to come and go without a passport, so if the passport is valid then I imagine entry into the US would be no problem.

We are Canadian and have a Jan 07 voyager cruise booked and the travel agent asked at booking if our passports were valid for 6 months past the date of travel. Last Jan we booked 4 weeks out and were able to get our passports in about a week and a half by paying a nominal express fee and picking them up rather than having them mailed. So if you take care of it now it should be no problem. I know it seems like a pain to get rid of a still valid passport but better safe then sorry:)

Sara

There is one country in the Caribbean, I am thinking Barbados, that in the past has periodically thought about imposing this requirement but they enventually change their minds. There are other countries in other parts of the world that do require the 6 months before expiration.

This is not something the other countries are imposing--this is an American response to 9/11 and all it entails. They don't care if you leave this country, they just don't want to let you back in!!!! That's why these new rules are being imposed--never mind that you can walk in from Mexico with NOTHING!!!! This whole thing is totally stupid and useless! It causes law-abiding people no end of paperwork and time-wasting, and accomplishes NOTHING!!!!!!

The 6 month rule has nothing to do with 9/11 and is not imposed by the US Government on US travelers. Various countries have this rule because they want to make sure that if for some reason you have to stay longer than originally intended (for example you got sick while in their country), you will still be able to leave their country to go back to your home. Not every country has this requirement so you have to check to see if the ones that you are visiting do.

She does not need her passport for her November sailing this year which is what she is asking about. Therefore the unexpired passport that she has now will do her just fine.

She doesn't need to renew it so far in advance, which, I believe is her primary concern at this time.

I understand the U.S. government has extended the deadline for having a passport by one week, until January 7th. She is well covered with her present passport.

That is what a lot of countries say, but I wouldn't worry about it cruising. I know I've gone with a lot less than 6 months left on my passport and have never had a problem.

Just take another form of ID with you. If you are sailing this November passports aren't even mandatory at that time.

I see no point in renewing a passport six months in advance when they are only good for 5 years anyway.

I thought passports were good for 10 years? At least mine is.

Did something change?

Schplinky, technically Canadians do not renew their passports at all. The government says that it's NOT a renewal, it's a complete new application. Whole new sponsor thing, send in BC again. Much bigger PITA than an American passport renewal.

And after all that, it's only good for 5 years... 4 1/2 if you're going anywhere where they impose the "valid 6 months into the future" requirement.

So Americans, stop complaining about having to get passports in the first place! You've got it way easier!

OP, I also hate that vague "may be required" clause... I've never been able to get a straight answer from anyone about it! Nobody who actually has the power to admit you or deny you entry is available to answer questions, and any answer you get from anyone in the travel industry is just "well, this is what COULD happen."

But from personal experience, I once entered Japan with a visa for a stay that was valid after my passport (US passport) was going to expire. They just told me to renew my passport at a US consulate, then show my new passport and my old passport with visa when I left the country. Boy was I lucky... I'd never even try to do that now!

I think that rule has been around a long time. It's probably because if something happens and you can't travel home for a few weeks you will still have a valid passport.

Mine expires next July, so after my December cruise I will be sending mine in for renewal.

This is not something the other countries are imposing--this is an American response to 9/11 and all it entails. They don't care if you leave this country, they just don't want to let you back in!!!! That's why these new rules are being imposed--never mind that you can walk in from Mexico with NOTHING!!!! This whole thing is totally stupid and useless! It causes law-abiding people no end of paperwork and time-wasting, and accomplishes NOTHING!!!!!!

Sorry, you are mistaken. Various places I've visited in the past 20 years have imposed this 6 month rule, meaning they will not allow you to enter their country if your passport is within six months of expiring.

Schplinky, technically Canadians do not renew their passports at all. The government says that it's NOT a renewal, it's a complete new application. Whole new sponsor thing, send in BC again. Much bigger PITA than an American passport renewal.

And after all that, it's only good for 5 years... 4 1/2 if you're going anywhere where they impose the "valid 6 months into the future" requirement.

So Americans, stop complaining about having to get passports in the first place! You've got it way easier!

True enough. Getting a new or renewd passport in Canada is the same process. My American friends seem to just send in their old ones and get new ones. That would be easier! Luckily, I live in Ottawa now (from NS) and I went to the passport office in person, having submitted the forms online, and had my new passport in 6 days with no express fee. That's astounding, if you ask me.

Chances are good with your current passport that you will not have any snags but considering you have the time to request a new passport before your cruise then I would do so even if it is a PITA. You will breath easier once your cruise date arrives.

I went to Cuba this past April and my passport was expiring 5 months later (September). I preferred to request a new passport and got it within 3 weeks. I prefer to be safe than sorry.

Chances are good with your current passport that you will not have any snags but considering you have the time to request a new passport before your cruise then I would do so even if it is a PITA. You will breath easier once your cruise date arrives.

I went to Cuba this past April and my passport was expiring 5 months later (September). I preferred to request a new passport and got it within 3 weeks. I prefer to be safe than sorry.

I disagree. Since you don't require a passport until the end of the year to travel to the Caribbean, just take the passport you have, as well as your birth certificate and photo i.d.

If you didn't have a passport, the latter two would still suffice. Getting a new passport because the old one will expire after your trip is a needless expense, given the current laws.

I disagree. Since you don't require a passport until the end of the year to travel to the Caribbean, just take the passport you have, as well as your birth certificate and photo i.d.

If you didn't have a passport, the latter two would still suffice. Getting a new passport because the old one will expire after your trip is a needless expense, given the current laws.

I agree. Why get it so much earlier than you have to. I woud not renew it until December myself at the earliest. That's the point of a 5 year passport.

I find all things being equal, meaning that you have everything required, you can get your passport back in a week and that's not paying any surcharge either.

I'm sure come December and January that will take somewhat longer with stats and the mad rush for those who don't have a passport at all, but still and all, in this particular case I would certainly not renew the passport yet.

Archived