Zenith is going to Bahamas today

drfun48

X website says that because of Florence ,Zenith sails for Freeport and Nassau. Full refunds were offered and those who choose to go get a $150 shipboard credit.

I'd certainly prefer Bermuda ,but that's the chance you take at this time of year sailing in tha Atlantic.

Right now it looks like it might be a direct hit. I hope not.

the Zenith is a great ship and I am sure that the people who decided to cruise, will not be disappointed. If i was booked on that cruise, i would have gone anyway, even though I have been to the Bahamas many times. But that is me, for me its not about the ports, it is about the cruise experience only.

the Zenith is a great ship and I am sure that the people who decided to cruise, will not be disappointed. If i was booked on that cruise, i would have gone anyway, even though I have been to the Bahamas many times. But that is me, for me its not about the ports, it is about the cruise experience only.

I agree,but I imagine the Atlantic will be churning on the way down...not very pleasant.

My concern is for the beautiful island and the fine people of Bermuda.

I talked to my friend today who is on a b2b2b Z. At 1:30 only about 20 people had boarded. The ship had 100 unsold cabins before the hurricaine so he was thinking it was going to be a pretty empty ship. They had upped the per cabin credit to $150 but as this was a premium priced cruise due to the Bermuda ports, he said there was still some unhappiness. He is in the middle of his 3 weeks so there was not much of an option for him to get off.

The prayers of everyone should, of course, be with the people of Bermuda. Maybe this storm will peter out a little and not intensify like they think.

Gail, I agree ,as someone who has a house in hurricane alley in North Carolina, I feel for the people of Bermuda and their beautiful island. We have seen too much destruction to property. To me my vacation starts as soon as I put my feet on the ship and it doesn't matter where it goes, I will still have a good time. Pat

I, too, am very concerned about the people of Bermuda. The storm looks like it will make a direct hit -- let us all pray that it does not intensify too much.

I do hope that those who chose to sail have a safe trip and I suspect they will be treated royally by the staff.

DH and I were supposed to be on board today. It was very difficult to unpack our things while still at home and not on the ship. We accepted Celebrity's offer for cancellation. We give Celebrity great kudos for making that offer before we flew out to New Jersey.

We are very experienced cruisers and usually covet our time on board but yesterday we looked at the storm's path and realized that at best the trip down to the Bahamas was going to be very rough. At worst the storm could turn west and the ship will be stuck between land and the storm. It just seemed like a better option to stay home this time even though we will have airline cancellation fees.

I have sailed before in hurricane season. Last October we were chased by Wilma and Alpha for 10 days and were not able to disembark at Port Everglades as scheduled due to Wilma's passage the day before. In that situation we were never in a position where there weren't many directions to sail and evade the storm. Our seas were always calm. However, the Zenith's current situation just plain made us uncomfortable.

Now we have to decide whether to use our credit and try Bermuda again in October (assuming that damage to the island is minimal and its ports reopen), or to just wait to sail Bermuda until next season.

My best wishes to those who chose to sail.

I was on the Horizon once in a situation like this and no, they did not do a mass upgrade. I am sure some people moved but it wasn't an across the board thing.

I'm usually doing b2b's so it would just be another move for me if I could not keep the cabin for the next sailing.

I'm with arzz.

1. here's hoping Bermuda and their citizens comes through the storm in good shape.

2. in speaking with my wife, she would have taken the full refund. Quick as that. As much as she loves Bermuda and dislikes Nassua and Freeport (she isn't fond of the 1-day stops, let alone the thought of spending a week there), we would not have sailed.

They've offered full refunds for huirricaines. And if you went on this one you only got a $150 per cabin credit. I thought that was pretty cheesy due to the fact that these Bermuda sailings bring a premium fare.

To me, paying the Bermuda rates, being offered $150 per cabin and then my ports would have been Freeport and Nassau, I think I would have taken the money (well, a credit you can use on another cruise equal to the full price).

in I'm wrong but this is the first time I have ever heard of a cruise line giving a full refund and being given the option on sailing day of going or not for weather.....

They actually did not offer a full cash refund ,according to the website,but a FULL future cruise credit. While that's almost as good. It's not quite the same thing.

If your heart was set on Bermuda ,it might mean a year's delay,with them holding the dead presidents

May everyone on Bermuda come through Florence in tact...the news report said that almost 2000 tourists have chosen to stay on the island (although at this time, the airport is closed). May everyone on the island be safe.

To those on Zenith: have a great cruise even in spite of the storm. We all hope you have smooth seas and lovely weather in the Bahamas, and enjoy your cruise time.

We left New York on September 2 heading up to Nova Scotia and had a bit of a wild ride last Saturday (20 foot seas with 50+ MPH winds). Fortunately, we all got through it without incident (some sea seasickness among passengers but not as much as I would have thought) and the ship handled the seas with ease.

They've offered full refunds for huirricaines. And if you went on this one you only got a $150 per cabin credit. I thought that was pretty cheesy due to the fact that these Bermuda sailings bring a premium fare.

To me, paying the Bermuda rates, being offered $150 per cabin and then my ports would have been Freeport and Nassau, I think I would have taken the money (well, a credit you can use on another cruise equal to the full price).

I don't ever remember them offering full refunds in the past for hurricanes.. As a matter of fact, if you will remember all the criticism they took a couple of years back when the Bermuda cruise went to Canada and you could not back out when you found out where you were going.

Maybe they learned that the poor publicity that results from decisions like taking the passengers to Canada without previous notice is not worth the dollar savings?

Truth to tell, we were packed and ready to go, but we had packed an extra bag with some clothing appropriate for cooler climes in case Canada was going to end up our destination. We were extremely happy that Celebrity stepped up to the plate. We also took their "letter of credit" offer as a sign that the alternative cruise posted would not be a comfortable sail. We have decided to hold Bermuda until next season and to let Celebrity hold our dead presidents until then. We have not yet seen the "letter of credit" so we do not know what all of the conditions on its use will be. We are optimistic and hope for the best. We are also extremely comfortable with our decision to cancel.

Any ship that does this is looking for problems.

If damage isn't too severe on Bermuda, I don't see why they couldn't spend Wednesday and Thursday there. It's a cat. 1 now, and the worst is expected to be over by tonight, with some strong winds left over on Tues., & sunny and warm on Wed & Thurs.

Susan, have a look at the animation of the sea state and I think it shows why they aren't risking Bermuda. TD Seven is waiting in the wings too although it is uncertain what this storm system is going to do:

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/atlm.html?map=wave&animate=1

I hope that all on Bermuda keep safe.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I noticed that #7 (Gordon?) is following - but with the gap between Florence and Gordon, it looks like there will be a few nice days in Bermuda this week, and some calm seas in between. I know if I was on Zenith this week, my hopes would have been to leave Nassau on Tuesday to at least get the next two days in Bermuda .... but I see on Celebrity's website that the plan is to be in Freeport till midnight Wed.

Hi Phil,

I noticed that #7 (Gordon?) is following - but with the gap between Florence and Gordon, it looks like there will be a few nice days in Bermuda this week, and some calm seas in between. I know if I was on Zenith this week, my hopes would have been to leave Nassau on Tuesday to at least get the next two days in Bermuda .... but I see on Celebrity's website that the plan is to be in Freeport till midnight Wed.

I think with the distances involved, Zenith would be pushing it to get from the Bahamas to Bermuda for a stop and then back to New York in time. Bermuda is a good way out.

Phil

I think with the distances involved, Zenith would be pushing it to get from the Bahamas to Bermuda for a stop and then back to New York in time. Bermuda is a good way out.

Phil

Yes.... a lot of 'sea time' to Bermuda and then on to NY, and with the storm activity, staying close to the U.S. shore seems a little wiser.

Archived