Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline, Hotwire, etc.

sunlover5

Have been trying to secure a pre cruise room for about 2 months now for Jan 12.

Started tonight with a bid on 3 star in SJ area at $125. Got a message that if I increased by $22, I could bid same area again. Went back in on a free bid, increased $10 and got the San Juan Water and Beach Club Hotel, a boutique listing.

Can anyone who has stayed there tell me anything about it? I was hoping to get closer to OSJ but that's the luck of the draw I guess. (I had a back-up booked at the Comfort Inn and will cancel it now.)

Polodad, How early did you book for 4/18/08? I am having problems getting anything for that date. What did you bid for when you got the Marriott? I would love to get that for the price you received.

In answer to your question we were on a cruise out of SJ that returned 5/6/07 and on that cruise we booked another cruise for 08. I'm thinking it was June or July, 07 that I booked for 4/18/08 at the Marriott & it was $110 before fees. that was about $20-25 less then when I booked for 4/07. It is a really nice hotel for the money on Priceline.

San Juan Marriott Stellaris for 5/31/08 for $135. Had bid this much before, but always rejected. Started at $125 for resort, rejected that, went for a free rebid at $130 adding an area where there are no resorts (Mayaguez), rejected, one more free rebid adding last area without a resort (Dorado) at $135 and got that one accepted.

• 2 weeks later...

For one night 3/27:

Started $125 Resort in SJ, rejected

Added Condado, rejected

Added 3* & got the Normandie for total $156 after fees & taxes

Closest we came to that $125 rate outside of Priceline was Coral By The Sea at $108 before fees & taxes so we're feeling good :cool: and hoping for zero cockroaches. :eek:

I just bid on priceline for a resort and got Caribe Hilton for $125; with taxes it goes up to $154.21 How much did they charge you for taxes?

What date are you going to be there? We're there from 2/2 (arriving really late) to 2/4. Maybe we could meet you there for a drink - or two on Sunday. Do you have plans for dinner? ? Don

Date: 3/14/08

# of nights: 1 (pre cruise)

Hotel: Caribe Hilton

Rating: "Resort" on Priceline

Area: San Juan, PR

Site: Priceline

Winning bid: $185

Taxes & fees: $39.90

For two weeks, I bid as high as $200 for "Resorts" in San Juan without luck. I usually start bidding at $135 and add other locations to increase gradually. But, today, I started at $185 just to get going. I really thought that because the night of March 14 is during Spring Break, I'd give up on a resort when I reached a bid of $200. I intended to get a 3 star hotel around $120 but my bid for $185 for a resort was accepted. I don't think it's a great deal but anything during Spring Break will be higher than usual.

Date: February 29/08

Got Caribe Hilton for $167 plus taxes of $44.75, for one night. Bid only on Resort category, San Juan. Original bid of $135 was rejected, at which time it was suggested that I add $32 - that did it!

• 2 weeks later...

Resort 4/25/08

$150.00 rejected (suggested another $25.00)

Bid $175.00 accepted

Caribe Hilton with tax $212.91

Ouch! I guess it pays to book early. We're 1 week before the OP (4/18) and are at the Marriott Stellaris at $110 plus $25 for a total of $135. We booked in July, 2007 via Priceline.

Just wanted to report back that after a 2 night stay at the Normandie it is just fine. It is an older boutique hotel, so it's not like a Marriott, but if you've ever stayed at an older boutique hotel on the mainland it is very similar. We were on the fourth floor near the elevators and had no problems with sounds at all during our stay. We did end up with 2 doubles instead of a king, but that was due to some other issue with some rooms they had and the room worked out just fine. The beds were actually very comfortable and the shower nice and hot. We walked down to the Escambron (restaurant on the beach) our first night at about 9 PM as they were having a private reception in the dining room at the hotel and loved it. We sat outside and watched the waves while eating. It's only about a 5 minute very leisurely walk away. We then used the bus to old San Juan the following day for 75 cents each way. Very nice overall.

I just bid $165 per night for two nights pre-cruise (March 7 and 8) and got the Marriott Stellaris. With fees, this brings it to $197 per night. Not especially cheap, but since we were paying $144 per night, not including fees) at the Holiday Inn Express, I'm pretty happy.

After reading and reading all you said and following your advice:

Hotel: Caribe Hilton

Date: 3/15-3/17

Price: $115

Taxes and fees: $47.13

Total: $277.00

Wow, Just saved $300 Yeah!!!!!! Never thought I could do it!!!!

Now I will try pre-cruise!!!!

3/14

Caribe Hilton for 3 rooms,worked out to $155 per room (includes taxes).

Of course I then read that there is a resort fee but I did read on the boards, that you can refuse to pay the resort fee when you check in & to say that you will not be using any of the resort facilities?

Any info?