Please compare Seaborn to RSSC

caviargal

I am a fan of smaller ships and wonderful food and service. I am now considering a 7 night Seabourn cruise to the Caribbean.

I have watched the DVD and read the promo material as well as spent time on the web site.

My concerns are the lack of a "real" balony in the category I can afford as well as the actual activities offered on the ship. I am not a fan of group activities but do appreciate a well equipped fitness center and regularly offered classes.

As far as evening entertainment, we like ours to be low key but do enjoy dancing after dinner. Shows are irrelevant but a vocalist of jazz trio would be perfect!

Any additional information you can provide to help us decide is much appreciated!

CG

Caviargirl:

I can't help in your questions of the gym...however, just know that everything you like about Regent is even better on Seabourn. Service and food are even more exquisite on the 200+ passengers Triplets.

Many have concerns about the lack of "true" balconies. All I can suggest is that, on board a ship the size of the current SB fleet, you are only moments away from being on deck somewhere. The windows of the classic suites are so large (and include a window seat) that you really don't miss much of the "view".

You will find as little, or as much as you'd like to do on board. Entertainment is pretty low-key, but tasteful.

As of today, I have only one SB cruise under my belt, but have 3 more booked, along with a future onboard discount I'm holding on to. My next is Dec. '06 and can hardly wait to get back! Even when Regent becomes "all-inclusive" next year, I'll very likely be on SB, instead, for the ambience and the experience of a yacht-like cruise.

No doubt others will add to my post (hopefully), but just know there's a real reason those who sail on SB are forever spoiled, and come back over and over again!

I'd suggest trying any SB cruise once; I can almost assure you that it won't be your last!

Smooth sailing to you!

Paul

Paul, thanks for the insight and I hope to get some feedback on the gym. I work out daily and, if I am to be able to enjoy any of the wonderful cuisine offered aboard, this is a very important consideration.

We are 50 and 59, well travelled and enjoy good conversation and meeting people, while also valuing our privacy. Wili our age group be well represented?

How about caviar? As you can see from my handle, I am a caviar kind of gal. Is it readily available?

thanks

CG

The gyms on Seabourn's ships are very well equipped, with Cybex weight equipment and Precor CV machines. Better then the gym on Regent, IMHO. You have to forget about cruiseship balconies on these ships and appreciate them for what they are--very large yachts. As a result, Seabourn regulars try to book the lowest priced suite available since all are the same except for the faux balconies. Your age group is probably typical of most Seabourn cruises.

How about caviar? As you can see from my handle, I am a caviar kind of gal. Is it readily available?

CG:

Although I'm not much of a "caviar guy" (!), it is always available, through room service. Many times, while I was sitting at the Sky Bar, Maciek (my favorite bartender on the Legend) would take an order from a cruiser, smile, and say, "well, let's order a double serving for you!" Shortly thereafter, the caviar, with appropriate "fixings" would be delivered.... Smiles all around! :) :)

SB will take care of you, in the most elegant of ways! :)

Hope this helps,

Paul

While still waiting to go on Seabourn, RSSC is my top rated line todate. But very little fish eggs did I see on my 12 dayer on RSSC. Yes you could pay for some of their room service menu.

On my Nov Caribbean cruise they will have a Fish Eggs in the Surf day which besides fish eggs they have a beach BBQ with lobster. :) and other things.

While I love seating on my RSSC veranda, I think the large picture windows on Seabourn with a comfy seat next to it will do just fine. Also the temp in the Seabourn cabin is just right, which on some cruises like the north cape of Norway isn't on the outside of the window.

I am looking for a couple lines like Seabourn/RSSC to pick from when I do my looking around for a cruise going to XXXXXXX.... ;)

Just a note about the caviar. I noticed on my last cruise that the Sky Bar staff was a but put-off when caviar was requested at peak times. Of course they filled the requests, but the service suffered a bit at the bar. One staff member commented to one of his colleagues "I'm a bar-tender not a waiter" Just an observation.

Hello Caviargal,

Am a fan of your posts on the Cruise fashion board so nice to see you over here on the BEST Cruise Critic board. As already posted, the gym is well equipped, usually full on the first couple of days then you will have it mostly to yourself:D . As far as classes go, there is usually an early morning (8am) stretch class and then a pilates or yoga class in the afternoon around 4 or 5pm. We do not miss a "proper" balcony, as already said you are only a few steps away from the open decks, which are very rarely busy.

Hope you have a wonderful experience on your first Seabourn Cruise, you just have to book it and try it for yourself, that is the only way to find out if it suits you. As usually said on here "Once Seabourn, Always Seabourn" There has to be a reason. Although I really want to come on here and tell everyone it is awful then we can get back to the good deals we used to get and not have to have cruises for 2008 already booked!!!

Kathryn

One staff member commented to one of his colleagues "I'm a bar-tender not a waiter" Just an observation.

Matt: That's so strange to read! On my cruise, usually the waiter bringing the tray from the Room Service galley was directed by the bartender on duty to the guest who had requested it, if he was busy. If he wasn't, he'd deliver it himself. Someone must have been having a "bad" day, and that's so "unlike" a SB crew member! :eek:

Paul

(who never saw an impatient guest at the Sky Bar!) :D

Matt: That's so strange to read! On my cruise, usually the waiter bringing the tray from the Room Service galley was directed by the bartender on duty to the guest who had requested it, if he was busy. If he wasn't, he'd deliver it himself. Someone must have been having a "bad" day, and that's so "unlike" a SB crew member! :eek:

Paul

I will have to be honest...I have been on these ships many times..and have never seen caviar requested at the Skybar. I feel that it is over the top to do so. The staff is ever so gracious..but...caviar is best requested at cocktail hour in your suite...or perhaps in one of the lounges...or...preferably as an appetizer before the main course. Of course this is my humble opinion..Lola

Caviargirl, sailing on Seabourn is a very unique experience which is different from almost all cruise lines. Yes, there are clearly less things to do on the ship than the larger ships. There is entertainment at night but it is more low key. There are exercise facilities which I use often but it is limited in size and what can be offered. But, there is enough excercise equipment.

After a day or so on the ship you will feel like you are sailing with family. You will have the opportunity to really get to know your fellow cruisers and you will feel the same way about the outstanding staff. The bonding that takes place is wonderful. I can't say enough about it.

Don't worry about not having a verandah. In a blink of an eye you can walk from your suite to the open deck and you can find a spot on the deck that is very quiet.

I highly recommend that you sail on Seabourn so you can see first hand what it is like.

In terms of caviar I don't profess to be an expert but I do have some on the cruise and it is readily available. One thing you can do is on the first day mention to the restaurant matre d that you enjoy it and if you want just ask for a standing order of it for each evenings dinner. Also, they serve it in the lounge prior to dinner but not with all of the canapes. But, again you can do that for dinner and they will serve it formally as well at some of the special events.

Keith

Paul

Paul, it appeared to me that on this cruise, a Room Service attendent brought the caviar up (also shimp cocktails) and the bartender had to go serve it.

A note to new Seabourn cruisers: During peak times the Sky bar does get crowded so if you require a seat out of the sun or wind, get there early!

Paul, it appeared to me that on this cruise, a Room Service attendent brought the caviar up (also shimp cocktails) and the bartender had to go serve it.

A note to new Seabourn cruisers: During peak times the Sky bar does get crowded so if you require a seat out of the sun or wind, get there early!

How early is early Matt:p

DH burns easily ... especially in the Caribbean sun ... and even more so since he will spend the week before we cruise in Sweden where he will be lucky if he sees the sun at all:rolleyes:

Is there shade and more importantly beverage service on Deck 5 near the "hidden hot tub" during the day?

We watched "Speed 2" last night ... and I pointed out the Sky Bar to DH:D

Hi,

There is not much shade at all, unless the ship happens to be sailing at a certain angle that a shadow will be cast on the deck. Other then that, no umbrellas or shade.

As far as deck service I can tell you a story: Last year, in Waterford, IR. I was probaby one of a dozen or so people who stayed on the ship. The weather was very nice and I was at the "Hidden" Hot Tub area. Every day that I had been there during the cruise they had bar service AND they also had a table set up inside the doorway with ice, sodas, water, etc so you could help yourself. I drink non alcholic iced tea during the day. I had gotten one earlier from Nelson at Sky Bar and I was thinking, "Darn, I have to get up and go back up to Sky Bar now that I want another iced tea." No sooner had I thought that, and was about to get up and I see Nelson coming down the steps from in front of the Bridge.

Not only did he somehow know where I was, he knew I wanted Iced Tea....Now that's a "Seabourn Story"..... BTW, I have NEVER seen or heard anybody at Sky Bar ever complain about placing orders for caviar...or anything else for that matter.

Bon voyage

These are essentially "sun bunny" ships; there are very few places outdoors to sit in the shade (and even then you have to move around to follow the shadows). Sometimes it is possible to sit at a table in the Veranda Cafe (outside and under a canopy) and read. Hopefully this design flaw will be corrected in the new ships which are built (or bought).

Not only did he somehow know where I was, he knew I wanted Iced Tea....Now that's a "Seabourn Story".....

Bon voyage

That one is easy I think.... :p One of this virgin Seabourn sailors first thoughs about the "Hidden" Hot Tub and service was I bet the Bridge lookouts call for service when they see ppl going out there.

I have cruised both lines a number of times and, for me, what counts is sorely missing from Regent: Service, service and service.

From a ship's facilities perspective, Regent does have slightly larger standard suites and the bathrooms are a bit nicer (and, of course, there are many true balconies), and the public spaces are larger and more varied (there being more substantially passengers, of course). (Seabourn's finishes are higher quality, if that matters.)

From a food standpoint, Regent has very good to excellent food. It is not, however, on the same level as Seabourn. Caviar aside (though it is hard to find more caviar than is available on Seabourn), there is a consistency on Seabourn that Regent just can't match. (Serving 3x the number of people I am sure is part of the issue.)

Now, service is where Regent just falls flat. Yes, there are some outstanding people, but dining room and bar service cannot be compared. Dining service on Regent just doesn't have any elegance or flair...or polish. You more, or less, just get served rather than waited on.

And the extraordinary for Regent is the ordinary for Seabourn. For example, last month I was on the Navigator. We were sailing out of port and we just wanted a few drinks watching the sunset. It was impossible. You could not get a drink served at the pool area after 6PM. (I had to go to my cabin and bring them up!) On Seabourn that would be unheard of. Then we simply wanted hamburgers. Room service would not deliver them as the pool area was a public space. Huh?! (I had to literally go to the dining room, see the head waiter and then, finally, something was arranged.)

On Seabourn drinks would have been offered and hamburgers would not have been an issue. Champagne while sitting in the whirlpool on Seabourn, no problem. In other words, Cruisr's example is the norm, not the exception.

On Seabourn you end your cruise feeling like you are part of a special family or experience. It has a very strong WOW factor when compared to Regent. You only need experience Seabourn once to understand the differences.

BTW, I have NEVER seen or heard anybody at Sky Bar ever complain about placing orders for caviar...or anything else for that matter.

I guess I am just naturally more observant than most people and perhaps this was an isolated incident. Let me reiterate that in no way were the comments about the caviar directed at the people ordering it. It was served with the same Seabourn style and smile as is everything else. it just appeared to disrupt the service at the bar during a peak time.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

It is difficult to imagine the yacht experience versus what I am used to in cruises. The smallest - and to date the best by far - ship experience has been on Radisson Diamond. I loved the size, the service, and the overall personal feel of the entire experience.

I believe I will quickly adapt to not having a balcony as one of the main reasons I opt for one on the mainstream lines is simply to get some privacy! I imagine that will not be an issue on Seabourn.

Hi,

There is not much shade at all, unless the ship happens to be sailing at a certain angle that a shadow will be cast on the deck. Other then that, no umbrellas or shade.

As far as deck service I can tell you a story: Last year, in Waterford, IR. I was probaby one of a dozen or so people who stayed on the ship. The weather was very nice and I was at the "Hidden" Hot Tub area. Every day that I had been there during the cruise they had bar service AND they also had a table set up inside the doorway with ice, sodas, water, etc so you could help yourself. I drink non alcholic iced tea during the day. I had gotten one earlier from Nelson at Sky Bar and I was thinking, "Darn, I have to get up and go back up to Sky Bar now that I want another iced tea." No sooner had I thought that, and was about to get up and I see Nelson coming down the steps from in front of the Bridge.

Not only did he somehow know where I was, he knew I wanted Iced Tea....Now that's a "Seabourn Story"..... BTW, I have NEVER seen or heard anybody at Sky Bar ever complain about placing orders for caviar...or anything else for that matter.

Bon voyage

That is impressive cruisr! We tend to stay on board when we cruise the Caribbean ... actually when we pick our Nov/Dec cruises they are based more on schedules than ports.

There is beverage service on Deck 5 forward. I don't believe that there is a shaded area here, particularly if the sun is in front of the ship.

If the sun is in back of the ship, there will be shaded areas. (I hope this makes sense)

Makes sense Jimbo. Thanks!

These are essentially "sun bunny" ships; there are very few places outdoors to sit in the shade (and even then you have to move around to follow the shadows). Sometimes it is possible to sit at a table in the Veranda Cafe (outside and under a canopy) and read. Hopefully this design flaw will be corrected in the new ships which are built (or bought).

Guess I will be packing extra sunscreen in our suitcases xplrcrzn:D One of the things that we really love about SD, which are the old Sea Goddess 1 and 2, is the shaded areas at the Top of the Yacht Bar.

Lots of practice on DH's part chasing shadows:p

Lots of practice on DH's part chasing shadows:p

Actually, now that I think of it, one deck down from the Sky Bar near the hot-tubs there are plenty of shaded loungers. The bar staff makes rounds in that area too and there is always a small table set up with water and soda and a bucket of ice for guests to enjoy. I spent many days reading there on a crossing. (covered in blankets and served creamy hot cocoa when it got chilly)

Actually, Matt, there aren't "plenty" of loungers in the shade near the hot tubs. The shaded area you refer to is simply the part of the deck where the walkways from the deck above criss-cross and much of the side space is taken up by life boats. These small areas are usually occupied by early morning (and are very crowded). You were lucky to find space (or rose very early).

The Diamond was, well, a diamond. I had two wonderful cruises on her. Even the Regent staff that has come over to other ships since she left the Radisson/Regent fleet miss her.

Just imagine that experience...but better.

Enough said.

My two cruises on Diamond were wonderful in every aspect.

Thanks for the comments.:)

Archived