Lesson Learned... “we have your money.”

Snow Road Cruisers

Lesson Learned, Celebrity says one thing and the facts are the other…

Used a popular website to booked trip (Zenith departure 10/21/06) booking in April, noticed today, same website, the Class 4 per person rate has dropped by many, many dollars per person. Contacted my TA and the Celebrity dance started, the rates (Lower) are only for new booking, seems the persons that paid a deposited in April, paid in full months ago are no longer a value… “we have your money.”

Ahhh, the Celebrity Treatment. Celebrity had a reputation that they were better than the others in many ways and of course if the price dropped, just by asking yours would as well, now I learned there are two rates levels, with the lowest being bookings today, a thus a surcharge for booking early. Has anyone else share this we have your money your money attitude?:mad:

Certain last minute deals are excluded.

Think about it. It's only fair that they be able to make last minute discounts on empty cabins to fill them up. Why should they have to discount the entire ship of rooms already sold? Kind of defeats the point of a last minute sale.

If you were before final payment, Celebrity would have honoured the price drop.

I saw the greatly reduced price on Zenith for their sell off special. I believe all cruise lines have a special on last minute sell offs for new bookings only. It seems the greatest bargains are for last minute bookings on repositioning cruises. If you are flexible in your cruising days I no longer see any value in booking early. We had a similar price drop ($200) for our Century transatlantic at the end of October and we did not have our rate reduced. However there were some special rates for Constellation for next Sept and the good buys are gone and the ship is nearly full. If you have to go, you have to pay the price. For next year I'm banking my dollars till the last minute.

I would check that again. Generally the only rates that are for new bookings are the happy rates on Tuesdays. It sounds to me like the TA didn't want to have to return commission. I am a TA and I would change the rate for my passengers. I have never heard of Celebrity having "new bookings only" on their sites. Princess and Holland do.

The principal reason for booking early is to obtain the cabin of your choice. We usually book when the cruises are first available to our TA. The "prize" cabins are snapped up early, and only come back on the market if there is a cancellation...

If there is a published price drop, our TA is glad to pursue it for us. We realized years ago that certain "specials" (RCCL calls them Happy Hour) are for new bookings only, and we don't expect to receive them. Nor do we gritch and whine if we don't get them...

LL

It sounds like a TA problem to me. We originally booked our cruise on the Constellation more than a year in advance. Then, a little more than 3 months from sailing I asked our TA to check the price. At that time the price of our booking was reduced. Then AFTER final payment our TA called me to say that he had checked again and we had a very substantial amount credited BACK to our credit card. I love this TA. He is the best. Wish I could give his name, but know I can't. Anyway, the right TA can do amazing things if willing.

Joy

We booked the Zenith Repo Cruise back in June 2005, when we booked back then I thought the price was very reasonable. We booked a Cat 4 and made final payment in August. Just last month we received 428.00 back from our cruise. So I would say that you do have a problem with the TA that you booked with. Good Luck!

Hi Snow Road !

I understand your frustration, but we all need a little more information, in order to help you.

It all depends on if the better price you saw, was a "Happy Hour" Special. If it was a Happy Hour offer, you are not going to win the battle. Happy Hour Specials are last minute deals to fill up the ship. If the pricing you saw was most any other rate, I would think your TA is the problem, and they are not willing to adjust the price for you.

First thing you should do, is call Celebrity and see if this rate you saw was a Happy Hour Special. If it is not, I would be firm with the travel agent, and do what you can, to see if they can get you a price reduction. If the TA wont help you, ask to speak with their supervisor. If all else fails, you can try calling Celebrity, and inform them of your situation. Perhaps under those circumstances, they might be willing assist you.

It is a little unfair to blame Celebrity, when in fact, this may very well be a problem with your TA. Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Thank you, the value of Cruise Critics contributors makes the communication an educational and worthwhile happening!

I learned a lot from by posted message and I thank each of you. The rates I saw on two Internet TA sites today must have been Happy Rates that were not there yesterday; my TA Agency did try to get these rates but Celebrity, or so I was told said no; I was not given the reasoning.

Now I know there are rates that apply to last minute shoppers and not to the buyers who booked months earlier, this is valuable, and again thank you.

Thank you, the value of Cruise Critics contributors makes the communication an educational and worthwhile happening!

I learned a lot from by posted message and I thank each of you. The rates I saw on two Internet TA sites today must have been Happy Rates that were not there yesterday; my TA Agency did try to get these rates but Celebrity, or so I was told said no; I was not given the reasoning.

Now I know there are rates that apply to last minute shoppers and not to the buyers who booked months earlier, this is valuable, and again thank you.

Hi Snow Road !

Saturday and Sunday are the usual days that TA's advertise Happy Hour deals, as the TA's are usually are informed of them on Friday.

All signs seem to point to what you saw, as being a Happy Hour deal. Please understand that Celebrity (and other Cruise Lines) are selling inventory on Cruises that have not sold particularly well (or may have had cancellations). This is why those who can take advantage of it, may get a better price than you did.

On the positive side, you had choice of Cabin, and locked in your price a while ago. Sometimes, prices do go up ! Also, you will likely have a better Cabin location than the person who books this deal, so there are trade-offs.

Just last week, my November sailing on Constellation went on Happy Hour. One of the deals was for Concierge Class. The Happy Hour passengers were able to get a Concierge Class cabin for a few dollars more than what I paid for my Outside (No Balcony or Concierge) Cabin. Was I happy about that ? Not particularly :). However, I do understand, and I am not mad at Celebrity. That's the deal, and I accept it.

One comment that I have, is that I feel that Celebrity should let passengers "Upgrade" their cabin from a lower category, to a higher category if their sailing is on Happy Hour, should they wish to upgrade. I would have been happy to spend the extra money. It's a win-win for everyone, as the passenger pays for a better Cabin, and Celebrity gets more revenue. Frankly, I do not see the harm in that.

At the very least, I think this idea would make for a GREAT perk for Captain's Club Members. I have suggested this to Celebrity (so far, no response). I hope they will give it consideration.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Hi Snow Road !

One comment that I have, is that I feel that Celebrity should let passengers "Upgrade" their cabin from a lower category, to a higher category if their sailing is on Happy Hour, should they wish to upgrade. I would have been happy to spend the extra money. It's a win-win for everyone, as the passenger pays for a better Cabin, and Celebrity gets more revenue. Frankly, I do not see the harm in that.

At the very least, I think this idea would make for a GREAT perk for Captain's Club Members. I have suggested this to Celebrity (so far, no response). I hope they will give it consideration.

Enjoy your Cruise !

A very, very good suggestion.

Snow Bunny,

I'm on that cruise and I had the same problem. My ta told me it was for 55 and under and alas it was. Some of the more mature people that I am cruising with did get the rate drop and now have to buy us younger people a few drinks to make up for all there wisdom. Please join us on the roll call, we have been having a real good time over there.

Pam

Celebrity does another bit of legerdemain with its guarantee categories. For example a category Y cabin is an outside guarantee. Someone booked in the lowest category of outside cabin may be paying a much higher price, but technically their category of cabin has not had a price drop when Celebrity decides to sell cat. Y cabins.

As passengers who have taken advantage of last-minute offers, we're glad that they're available sometimes. But we don't get to pick the perfect cabin locations (usually) and have to pay higher airfare sometimes. Waiting is worth it to us, especially for holiday cruises, since we're also not particularly picky when it comes to which ship and itinerary we'll sail on. I look at the ones that fit our schedule and watch prices after final payment date.

Pam, the rate drop that I and some of the others you are cruising with was a special senior rate. The rate the poster is talking about is the happy hour rate. $449 inside and $499 outside for a 13 day cruise. That is where I saw it posted on a happy hour and Xciting deals page.. It is a special sale from Oct. 1 to Oct 6 for new bookings only. It is cheaper than what the rest of us got even with our senior deal. Happy hour specials are great if you can just drop everything and go. Some of us have to plan ahead. That said I am telling everyone I know about it because it is the deal of the century. Pat

We are booked on a Celebrity cruise later this month. Apparently because the ship is substantially "Sold Out" the fares have been raised. How do you think I would feel if Celebrity came to me and all the others already booked and asked us for more money? When the sailing date approaches it seems good business sense to either offer "last minute" reduced fares or raise fares based on the level of sold capacity.

Used a popular website to booked trip (Zenith departure 10/21/06) booking in April, noticed today, same website, the Class 4 per person rate has dropped by many, many dollars per person. Contacted my TA and the Celebrity dance started, the rates (Lower) are only for new booking, seems the persons that paid a deposited in April, paid in full months ago are no longer a value… “we have your money.”

Ahhh, the Celebrity Treatment. Celebrity had a reputation that they were better than the others in many ways and of course if the price dropped, just by asking yours would as well, now I learned there are two rates levels, with the lowest being bookings today, a thus a surcharge for booking early. Has anyone else share this we have your money your money attitude?:mad:

Sounds like the TA did not even try to change it. They would have to give back commission. That is taken money away from them. There are certain rate codes that are for new bookings only.

We live in the UK and are not eligible for any price reduction after a reservation has been made, even prior to paying the final sum.

Also, even though we actually enquired onboard, X only offer seniors discount to US citizens, so we loose out again there as well.

As you know, we have an active thread for this cruise. Why not come over to the roll call board and talk to us about this? We'd love to have you come back to chat with us and you never know, maybe someone can give you some pointers.

We booked this same cruise this past winter and we received a $502 refund this past Friday for the two of us. My TA called me and asked if we were over 55. I think you should call your TA especially if you are over 55.
Hi haven't seen you in a few weeks.

Our CC party went from your #51 to 62. How was the baby shower?

Did you find out about your Airtran time change? We are on the same flight and haven't heard anything.

We live in the UK and are not eligible for any price reduction after a reservation has been made, even prior to paying the final sum.

Also, even though we actually enquired onboard, X only offer seniors discount to US citizens, so we loose out again there as well.

Hi cavkc

We are also from the UK and just prior to paying our final sum (reservation made Feb 2006) I asked our TA to check to see if there had been any reduction for our Xmas on Connie. Well to my amazement our price had been reduced by £450.00 pp.[I do not think they even knew about the possibility of this happening as she seemed totally suprised when Celebrity gave us the new price, so it proves you don't get unless you ask.

I think ... best case scenerio... is that your TA would be on the ball... actively pursue the lowered price... I had this happen to me... our Connie cruise went up on Xciting deals page... and it was "for new bookings only"... my TA went to bat... found a helpful agent to transfer our balance to an new booking... and cancelled the old one... (no penalty, cause there wasn't any money to penalize)...

It's kind of a "side step"... but... it worked...

"Last Minute" specials are available throught out the Travel Industry. There are last minute specials for hotels, resorts, all inclusives, air fares, cars and so on.

It makes sense that a cruise company would take advantage of selling unsold cabins in this manner.

We have taken advantage of Last Minute specials for all kinds of travel. It has its pros and cons. The big pro is the cheaper price.

Now we book cruises as soon as the itinerary and price are listed because we want a certain cabin and the prices are very good when first listed.

Archived